U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 01-14-2009, 05:32 PM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
1,554 posts, read 3,571,525 times
Reputation: 649

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo vanilla View Post
I am saying is that it is not the only reason but certainly part of the snowball. And I should point out, for instance, that a friend of my dad's makes a very comfortable living through his lawn care business. Also I did landscaping in college and was paid well. It is a real, viable buisness.

This has gone off-subject now, so should we all get back on track?
I bet he hired illegals to help. What is paid well? Can you give me a rough estimate how much you made doing lawn work? That's not a easy job in 100 degree heat and many are not willing to do that.

 
Old 01-14-2009, 05:33 PM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
1,554 posts, read 3,571,525 times
Reputation: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
My husband grew up in Oakland and went to public school there and graduated from Berkeley. Yes, he's scholarly - he teaches a class at Stanford every year.
He must have had a hard time with all those illegals.
 
Old 01-14-2009, 05:53 PM
 
Location: appleton, wi
1,357 posts, read 3,572,680 times
Reputation: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Boy View Post
I bet he hired illegals to help. What is paid well? Can you give me a rough estimate how much you made doing lawn work? That's not a easy job in 100 degree heat and many are not willing to do that.
Actually, last I heard he worked all alone as a contractor. I don't talk to my dad anymore so I don't know if the business has grown (but if you're looking for work I'll dig up his name ). As far as what I made, I'll put it this way, I made enough where they could have paid an illegal half that and he'd still easily pass minimum wage of the day (and not pay taxes on it ). Which was plenty for a college kid. The guys running the machines and/or doing it with real experience as their life's work of course made alot more than that.

If you think landscaping is bad in the heat you should try laying asphalt. Done that too. It comes off the truck at 400F and you have to wear pants, not shorts.

Bottom line: don't be fooled, there are plenty of real, taxpaying Americans willing and able to do this kind of good, honest work. Generally it can pay very well, especially with experience, enough that most guys can afford take most of the winter season off (at least around here). If I was still doing it I'd be 10-12 years on the job and I'd make as much, probably more, than I do with my office job.
 
Old 01-14-2009, 05:57 PM
 
Location: Daytona Beach, Florida
268 posts, read 585,869 times
Reputation: 140
I don't blame Mexicans, Brazilians whoever coming to the US illegal or not. I would do the same if I were them. And why not? I don't blame them, in fact I respect them for having the guts for wanting a better life them, their familes. Look at American history! Some of our best inventors were foreign born! And besides we Americans are lazy! The younger generation is on the couch playing playing video games! I grew up in the 80s where you worked hard and did the best you could!

My Uncle owns a roofing company, and he only hires Mexicans and pays them very well!
 
Old 01-14-2009, 05:58 PM
 
Location: Coachella Valley, California
15,226 posts, read 25,233,107 times
Reputation: 12386
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Boy View Post
He must have had a hard time with all those illegals.
Yes, and my son is going to attend Stanford - with all those illegals too.
 
Old 01-14-2009, 05:59 PM
 
Location: Coachella Valley, California
15,226 posts, read 25,233,107 times
Reputation: 12386
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Floridian View Post
I don't blame Mexicans, Brazilians whoever coming to the US illegal or not. I would do the same if I were them. And why not? I don't blame them, in fact I respect them for having the guts for wanting a better life them, their familes. Look at American history! Some of our best inventors were foreigh born! And besides Americans are lazy! The younger generation is on the couch playing playing video games! I grew up in the 80s wher you worked hard and did the best you could!
Speak for yourself. My kids are very scholastic and involved in many activities outside the house.
 
Old 01-14-2009, 06:04 PM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
1,554 posts, read 3,571,525 times
Reputation: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by yo vanilla View Post
Actually, last I heard he worked all alone as a contractor. I don't talk to my dad anymore so I don't know if the business has grown (but if you're looking for work I'll dig up his name ). As far as what I made, I'll put it this way, I made enough where they could have paid an illegal half that and he'd still easily pass minimum wage of the day (and not pay taxes on it ). Which was plenty for a college kid. The guys running the machines and/or doing it with real experience as their life's work of course made alot more than that.

If you think landscaping is bad in the heat you should try laying asphalt. Done that too. It comes off the truck at 400F and you have to wear pants, not shorts.

Bottom line: don't be fooled, there are plenty of real, taxpaying Americans willing and able to do this kind of good, honest work. Generally it can pay very well, especially with experience, enough that most guys can afford take most of the winter season off (at least around here). If I was still doing it I'd be 10-12 years on the job and I'd make as much, probably more, than I do with my office job.
If there are plenty of hard working Americans willing to do it where are they? How many Americans are out of work currently? Why are they not lined up with the day laborers? Because they have too much pride or think they are above that.
 
Old 01-14-2009, 06:23 PM
 
Location: appleton, wi
1,357 posts, read 3,572,680 times
Reputation: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Boy View Post
If there are plenty of hard working Americans willing to do it where are they? How many Americans are out of work currently? Why are they not lined up with the day laborers? Because they have too much pride or think they are above that.
Ha, never got your hands dirty, have you? Fortunately not everyone shares your line of thinking that they are too good to do that.

p.s. the construction industry is not immune to economic problems. in fact, it's one of the first to get hit. no money = no new projects = no new construction jobs. duh .
 
Old 01-14-2009, 06:32 PM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
1,554 posts, read 3,571,525 times
Reputation: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by yo vanilla View Post
Ha, never got your hands dirty, have you? Fortunately not everyone shares your line of thinking that they are too good to do that.

p.s. the construction industry is not immune to economic problems. in fact, it's one of the first to get hit. no money = no new projects = no new construction jobs. duh .

Actually I went to college to get out of doing those jobs, I didn't enjoy painting houses when I was in high school. I hated it. So yes I feel I am over qualified to pick strawberry's and lay bricks. I don't bash people doing it, we need those jobs, but it's not something I set as a goal for myself.

I worked to get where I am, my career didn't fall in my lap, I did odd and some terrible jobs during my teens up until I graduated college a few years ago.

Besides I said Americans, I'm asking you where are the Americans lining up to work in meat packing plants and sweat shops? How about Picking strawberries and lettuce? Where are they?
 
Old 01-14-2009, 06:44 PM
 
Location: appleton, wi
1,357 posts, read 3,572,680 times
Reputation: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Boy View Post

Besides I said Americans, I'm asking you where are the Americans lining up to work in meat packing plants and sweat shops? How about Picking strawberries and lettuce? Where are they?
They got put out of a job when the cheap labor showed up. Who worked at those places before the cheap labor came around? Who city boy, who? Let me tell you something else, theres plenty of people (Americans) who'd rather die before getting tied to a desk for the rest of their lives. Not that I'm ready to shovel asphalt again but personally I'm going a bit nuts in my cubicle.

Earlier this year Arizona set new penalties for hiring illegals. Businesses got heavy fines or lose their licenses, the illegals have to be fired, and soon many of them pack up and leave for Mexico. Guess what happened, the Americans lined up for those empty jobs.

Here's one article about the new sanctions: Federal penalties increase for firms hiring illegal immigrants - Phoenix Business Journal:

Here's an article about illegals leaving for Mexico due to the job losses, granted it's Fox News but whatever: FOXNews.com - Illegals Begin Leaving Arizona as New Law Approaches - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News

Cliffs Notes: Take away the jobs from the illegals, and the Americans will be happy to have them back. (let me make that point clear: HAVE THEM BACK).

And to get back on subject, thats one step to resetting the high cost of living in places like CA to a more reasonable level, and prevent the population from leaving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top