U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 08:18 PM

6 posts, read 10,285 times

Advertisements

Oh yay! When you leave, take 10 people with you. I love it here. It was almost 90 here today and most of the rest of the country is freezing. You can have it. I'd rather live under a freeway overpass here than in a fully staffed palace anywhere else.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:01 PM

350 posts, read 734,484 times
Twinkletoes... I was merely pointing out that while traveling, you get feel for the pride of each state. California looks like you're entering a war zone with ugly fencing, crappy rest stops that aren't opened for travelers, and ugly signs announcing you're entering California courtesy of the state prisons. Just pointing it out. I'm thrilled you'll be staying here.. glad you're happy. I just want something more at this point in my life than crappy air, drought conditions, extreme tax rates, a broken government system, overcrowding, on and on and on. Don't hate and post dumb emoticons just because someone expresses a different opinion and doesn't love love love CA. Chill.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:22 PM

1,687 posts, read 3,801,068 times
momojojo, we just got back from Texas (San Antonio and the Hill Country).

Extreme drought conditions back there right now, rain is less than 1/2 of normal. The aquifer level is dropping which might mean water conservation in some areas.

We saw some things we liked, other things we felt were better in California.

My wife's big complaint back there was cigarette smokers, she prefers the stricter no smoking laws in California.

All in all, Texas was nice but we still prefer California.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:58 PM

5,471 posts, read 14,445,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
Sorry to tell you but towns like where we live in, Keller, TX and surrounding towns like Westlake, Southlake, are not for the dim-witted, lazy masses. They are for a wide range of people that want a resonable priced house and a lifestyle more manageble. Try looking up these cities here on CD and you might be surprised with what you find. They compare much like Irvine, Newport Beach, etc. when it comes to education, incomes, etc.. The one big exception is the housing costs. That is why you find so many ex-Californians coming to TX.
Unfortunately in hsw's world view, you are a worthless human being unless if you make $250k or more a year.

Old 01-13-2009, 11:10 PM

323 posts, read 309,221 times
Default Keep believing that nonsense

[Your looking at a very large TJ in 5- 10 years with only wealthy and poor people left.

QUOTE=City Boy;6977640]California is too important to the rest of the country for anything devastating to happen. It just will not happen. The Feds would step in.[/quote]

Old 01-13-2009, 11:14 PM

97 posts, read 416,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Boy View Post
Good Riddance, let them go be happy in their 5000 sq foot house in the middle of nowhere with winters that hit sub zero temps. The illegal immigration thing is an excuse, it does not even affect my quality of life. Please explain how that has any impact on anybody personally? Stop living above your means and you'll make it here. How do the millions of other middle class people do it?

Life is more than a giant home and low taxes.
CityBoy, I couldn't agree more. Right on, bro.

Old 01-14-2009, 08:37 AM

1,357 posts, read 3,618,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Boy View Post
Good Riddance, let them go be happy in their 5000 sq foot house in the middle of nowhere with winters that hit sub zero temps. The illegal immigration thing is an excuse, it does not even affect my quality of life. Please explain how that has any impact on anybody personally? Stop living above your means and you'll make it here. How do the millions of other middle class people do it?

Life is more than a giant home and low taxes.
In tons of ways, which should be obvious to anyone given the current situation of your state. It costs the state money which costs you money. Illegals don't pay any taxes and use the schools, hospitals, other municipal services on everyone else's dollar. My little sister is a grade school teacher in Nashville, in an area with a high immigrant (legal or illegal? who knows) population. She got a class that nearly all non-english speaking kindergardeners this year which made it extremely difficult to do her job. You know what, that's my little sister so that effects me personally. If it was my kids in that school, that effects them. And we have to school the children of illegals because Congress mandated it in the 80's.

Further, companies will hire them to work dirt cheap making it hard for you to get a good paying job, or maybe a job at all. And so on and so on. It might not be a big deal if they were in small numbers. But CA has, what, 10 million alone? That is a huge burden on the state, and when push comes to shove and the state asks the federal government for billions in "bailout" money it becomes a burden on everyone else.

I'm not one to flaunt living above one's means either. But to call this problem a lame excuse and say it doesn't effect your life; it's either a dismissal of the issue or a denial. It does drive up the cost of living and changes the quality of life, and you can't say it's not at least partially related to people leaving the great state of California. We feel it all the way up here by me too.

Old 01-14-2009, 08:38 AM

1,831 posts, read 3,637,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyPhoenix View Post
Unfortunately these are not the type of people leaving california.
Yeah, actually, they are. Migrant workers are moving to the cheaper states, just like everybody else.

Lopez says an increasing number of farmworkers are skipping the season in Salinas and just going to Yuma or traveling to cheaper states. “I know so many farmworkers who used to migrate,” Lopez says, “and they don’t come back to Salinas anymore. They can live in another place that’s not expensive.”

Home for the Holidays by Zachary Stahl | Page 1 | December 18, 2008 | Monterey County Weekly | Farmworkers‚€™ migration

Recent employment figures show that California's day labor population is dropping due to a decrease in the number of construction jobs caused by America's recent economic downturn. UCLA Professor Abel Valenzuela says that it is likely that only 10% to 15% of California's day laborers are able to find work each day -- down from 40% only a few years ago.

http://www.numbersusa.com/content/ne...nia-large.html

This is one of the great myths ... that only white middle class people are leaving. Why do you think Arizona and Texas have illegal problems also. Because only white people move there? Of course not.

"Illegal Aliens Cost Texas Taxpayers $4.7 Billion A Year"

Illegal Aliens Cost Texas Taxpayers $4.7 Billion a Year : Diggers Realm

Last edited by sheri257; 01-14-2009 at 09:50 AM..

Old 01-14-2009, 10:20 AM

1,831 posts, read 3,637,269 times
People can say the out migration is happening for all of these other reasons but, the bottom line is housing prices. When prices go up ... more people move. When housing prices are down, less people move.

What the article fails to mention is that the net out-migration has dropped by half just in the last two years. Not, coincidentally with the 40 percent drop in housing prices.

http://www.brookings.edu/opinions/20...charts_2_3.pdf

At the peak of the housing boom from 2005-2006 up to 285,000 people were leaving the state. Now, with the real estate crash, it's down to 144,000.

In 2001 ... before housing prices got really crazy ....the out migration was only 39,000 people.

There's a direct correlation with housing prices. The lower they go, the less people leave.

Last edited by sheri257; 01-14-2009 at 10:46 AM..

Old 01-14-2009, 11:15 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,616,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yo vanilla View Post
In tons of ways, which should be obvious to anyone given the current situation of your state. It costs the state money which costs you money. Illegals don't pay any taxes and use the schools, hospitals, other municipal services on everyone else's dollar. My little sister is a grade school teacher in Nashville, in an area with a high immigrant (legal or illegal? who knows) population. She got a class that nearly all non-english speaking kindergardeners this year which made it extremely difficult to do her job. You know what, that's my little sister so that effects me personally. If it was my kids in that school, that effects them. And we have to school the children of illegals because Congress mandated it in the 80's.

Further, companies will hire them to work dirt cheap making it hard for you to get a good paying job, or maybe a job at all. And so on and so on. It might not be a big deal if they were in small numbers. But CA has, what, 10 million alone? That is a huge burden on the state, and when push comes to shove and the state asks the federal government for billions in "bailout" money it becomes a burden on everyone else.

I'm not one to flaunt living above one's means either. But to call this problem a lame excuse and say it doesn't effect your life; it's either a dismissal of the issue or a denial. It does drive up the cost of living and changes the quality of life, and you can't say it's not at least partially related to people leaving the great state of California. We feel it all the way up here by me too.
What jobs are illegals/immigrants taking that you cannot get? Manual Labor like Farming and Car Washing? Are you really going to do that for minimum wage? I don't think so.

There are more immigrants here in California than nashville and there are plenty of teachers that have no problems teaching them and doing their job. Most if not all schools here have ESL also. Can you give me some examples how they are driving up the cost of living?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California