Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2009, 02:11 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,782,217 times

Advertisements

Well...I'd certainly love for more people to move to AR.
I'd welcome you with open arms.
North Little Rock is not that bad a place to live.

Old 01-14-2009, 02:12 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,782,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoFacts View Post
Some people feel that a reason to leave is that California's schools are getting bad with not enough money spent on education.

But I found this article today to be interesting.

Yes California is low in per capita student spending these days, BUT so are a lot of the states popular with people moving out of California.

National Average $9,963 per student
Oklahoma $8,255
Idaho $8,034
North Carolina $7,835
Washington $7.688
Tennessee $7,620
California $7,571
Texas $7,561
Nevada $7,213
Arizona $7,112
Utah $5,964
SF Gate: Multimedia (image) (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/object/article?f=/c/a/2009/01/14/MNS4159KA4.DTL&o=2 - broken link)
The U.S. has certainly proved that even though we keep spending more on education, we keep getting the same results.
Money is not always the answer.

Old 01-14-2009, 02:41 PM

46 posts, read 99,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Boy View Post
Good Riddance, let them go be happy in their 5000 sq foot house in the middle of nowhere with winters that hit sub zero temps. The illegal immigration thing is an excuse, it does not even affect my quality of life. Please explain how that has any impact on anybody personally? Stop living above your means and you'll make it here. How do the millions of other middle class people do it?

Life is more than a giant home and low taxes.
Let me tell you how it affects the quality of life. Would you send your kids to a public school? NO. Over 50% dropout and most don't speak English. Have you every been to an emergency room? Want to know who pays for all the illegals bills? We do. Find me an affordable house that is in an area that isn't overrun with illegals. Ever get into a car accident with an illegal with no insurance? Who pays? You do.

Excuses? Hardly!

Old 01-14-2009, 02:54 PM

1,831 posts, read 5,292,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icenet View Post
Have you every been to an emergency room? Want to know who pays for all the illegals bills? We do.
Not as much as you would think. Sure, hospitals do get some indigent care money but that's not how hospitals make money. As an RN I can tell you that they get them in and out as fast as possible because they don't have insurance. The hospitals want to treat people with insurance because that's how they get paid.

Believe me, if you have insurance you have a much greater chance of being admitted than if you don't have insurance.

Old 01-14-2009, 03:11 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,055,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Trails View Post
Colorado? Anyone?
Yep!

Old 01-14-2009, 03:22 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,025,535 times
Quote:
Let me tell you how it affects the quality of life. Would you send your kids to a public school? NO. Over 50% dropout and most don't speak English. Have you every been to an emergency room? Want to know who pays for all the illegals bills? We do. Find me an affordable house that is in an area that isn't overrun with illegals. Ever get into a car accident with an illegal with no insurance? Who pays? You do.

Excuses? Hardly!
Both my kids went to Palm Desert PUBLIC schools - the older one graduated with honors and was Valedictorian of his class with a 4.3 GPA. The younger one, who is in high school at the public high school in Palm Desert is an honor student as well. My kids have never gone to private school.

Old 01-14-2009, 03:40 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,864,223 times
Quote:
Taxes go up? You act like taxes being raised are all because of the "illegals". They impact such a small portion you don't even feel it in your wallet. You blame the illegals but what about those hiring them? Construction? The jobs they give those types are the construction jobs that require minimum skill that most people would not do unless desperate.

I don't see any illegals working on the bay bridge. Mowing lawns? Packing meat? Those are low paying assembly line jobs that pay as much as mcdonalds. Maybe if they paid more then they could get Americans working there but this is a capitalist country we are to blame. Imagine how much strawberries would cost if they were paying Americans 20 an hour to pick them. Would you complain?
I am saying is that it is not the only reason but certainly part of the snowball. And I should point out, for instance, that a friend of my dad's makes a very comfortable living through his lawn care business. Also I did landscaping in college and was paid well. It is a real, viable buisness.

This has gone off-subject now, so should we all get back on track?

Old 01-14-2009, 03:45 PM

566 posts, read 1,939,033 times
You missed the point. He said that we pay for medical care for illegals. That is true. Medical costs for those who have insurance (or pay themselves) is much higher because those people are paying for the medical costs of the illegals.

Old 01-14-2009, 04:29 PM

1,554 posts, read 5,288,997 times
Quote:

Excuses? Hardly!
I sure would send my kids to public school IN OAKLAND! OH NO!!! I went to public school and graduated college (USF) with no problems. My sister went to public school and graduated from Berekely and obtained her MBA also from Berkeley all from a public school overrun with Illegals. My wife is 30 and has a PHD also went to a terrible Public school. How terrible!

What is affordable? 700k Is affordable to us. It's all relative.

Old 01-14-2009, 04:32 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,025,535 times
Quote:
I sure would send my kids to public school IN OAKLAND! OH NO!!! I went to public school and graduated college (USF) with no problems. My sister went to public school and graduated from Berekely and obtained her MBA also from Berkeley all from a public school overrun with Illegals. My wife is 30 and has a PHD also went to a terrible Public school. How terrible!

What is affordable? 700k Is affordable to us. It's all relative.
My husband grew up in Oakland and went to public school there and graduated from Berkeley. Yes, he's scholarly - he teaches a class at Stanford every year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California