Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 09:29 AM

359 posts, read 1,308,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
You can find homes in Oxnard, Ventura, and Port Hueneme under $300,000.
but look what I found..
2696 Victoria Avenue, Port Hueneme CA 93041 - Trulia

Old 01-18-2009, 09:37 AM

26,338 posts, read 93,407,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthursChoice View Post
Check the neighborhood schools; almost all of them are lower than 5 out 10:

California School Performance Maps

Old 01-18-2009, 09:52 AM

359 posts, read 1,308,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DjRey View Post
Sorry to be so negative. I can only tell you what I've seen.
Well you said it...REAL TALK.
It's tough though. I just got back from a road trip to Los Angeles. Been gone for six years now. There are a ton of problems I know, and yet I still miss it and still love much about it. I really like Pasadena and when going through there I was REEEALLLY thinking about heading back. Nevada sucks ass big time. Anyway its a tough choice. One thing for sure I sure would not leave it (California) for Texas. Hell to the Naw, to the HELL NO WAY!

Old 01-18-2009, 10:29 AM

2,497 posts, read 7,442,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
This is a huge problem for people relocating all over the country. We couldn't sell our home in Colorado before we moved to Huntsville. Fortunately, my relocation package had my company buy our house from us at practically no loss. Thousands of jobs from DC are moving to Huntsville and the people can't sell their homes in Virginia and Maryland and move.
Charles, pardon me here, but how in the world did you adapt from the SoCal mentality to the Southern mentality? Just really curious about that. I'm a midwesterner and I can't even handle the ways of the south when i go through there. I lived in Birmingham for 6 months back in 1997 and I had to get outta there, the religion was too pushy and the people were so proper with the way they do things, felt tense. How did you adapt? HAVE you adapted? How do they take to you down there?

Old 01-18-2009, 01:04 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,101,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
It helps when you don't have to commute too.
Sure, but many of us retirees (including me) do regular volunteer work that throws us right into rush hour traffic. Also, my kids live in Los Angeles and deal with rush hour all of the time. No big deal really, I used to commute about 40-50 minutes each way back in Ohio and DC, it isn't like I came here from Lick Run, PA.

Old 01-18-2009, 03:11 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,407,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
Charles, pardon me here, but how in the world did you adapt from the SoCal mentality to the Southern mentality? Just really curious about that. I'm a midwesterner and I can't even handle the ways of the south when i go through there. I lived in Birmingham for 6 months back in 1997 and I had to get outta there, the religion was too pushy and the people were so proper with the way they do things, felt tense. How did you adapt? HAVE you adapted? How do they take to you down there?
I live in Huntsville which is about as southern as Silicon Valley. It's nice having tons of job opportunities, no traffic, housing at $100-$150/sqft, and good schools - and requiring only one income. No kidding.

Sure, they say "Yes Sir" and "No Mam" more than I was used to, and there are lots of churches (but I had moved from Colorado Springs from California so I was sort of used to all that). It seems everyone is from somewhere else: especially Virginia and California. And yes, my kids have no one to play with on Sunday mornings because everyone is at church. Nothing is perfect. But people at work and in our neighborhood are really nice to us. Just about everyone has kids.

Huntsville has more engineers per capita than any other city in the US. More PhDs per capita than any other in the US. Second highest ratio of income to housing costs in the US.

Huntsville is in better shape than most other places. Unemployment is around 3.6% or 3.8%.

Madison County [Huntsville] Alabama, best place to ride out the economic downturn - MSNBC

It was an easy decision. Huntsville is hiring like crazy. This is a big deal.

General: Redstone Arsenal to create 10,000 new Huntsville jobs | TimesDaily.com | The Times Daily | Florence, AL (http://www.timesdaily.com/article/20080423/NEWS/804230337/-1/COMMUNITIES - broken link)

General: 10,000 jobs following BRAC 'a conservative' number - Breaking News from The Huntsville Times - al.com

Huntsville: Community Profile

My daughter (4th grade) competing in First Lego League Robotics. Huntsville's kids do quite well in state and national competitions partly because a lot of their dads are engineers.

It's not so bad here. (Below the Hampton Cove pool and golf courses.)

Space Camp in Huntsville
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd316/charles_ucsb/DSC_3879.jpg (broken link)

Downtown Huntsville

Old 01-18-2009, 08:04 PM

1,831 posts, read 5,278,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
I'm glad it's working out for Charles but I could NEVER go back to the south either.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:21 PM

566 posts, read 1,932,176 times
Sounds like a nice place. How's the weather year round? Can you go outdoors in any month? Or are there some months where it's miserably hot or cold. There are some tough months in Colorado in spite of what people say.

Old 01-19-2009, 04:07 PM

303 posts, read 843,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
It's been in the 80's and 90's here in the Coachella Valley this week. At night it's in the 70's. You can't beat that!
Indeed! When I was freezing my rear end off in Texas (yes, it was below freezing in Texas! ) I pined for SoCal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Texas is where I learned NOT to use turn signals - you never want to tip off the enemy to your next move!
Indeed. Turn signals here in Texas are also a clue for the other drivers to NOT let you over. I can't tell you how often that's happened to me.

Old 01-19-2009, 07:17 PM

15,639 posts, read 40,909,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalGal953 View Post
Indeed! When I was freezing my rear end off in Texas (yes, it was below freezing in Texas! ) I pined for SoCal!

Indeed. Turn signals here in Texas are also a clue for the other drivers to NOT let you over. I can't tell you how often that's happened to me.
See - I'm not making this stuff up! I'm glad someone else knows what I'm talking about. Where in Texas (aka Hell) are you, CalGirl? I was in San Antonio and lived in a place called The Dominion. I couldn't get out of Texas fast enough. I'm sure as we were driving back to CA my face probably looked like this the whole way until we saw the Welcome To California sign. Then I looked like this .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California