Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2009, 12:42 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,242,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
The population of California is still increasing.
Some people dont understand that for some reason.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:58 PM

1,191 posts, read 1,584,316 times
I think it comes down to the cost of housing. Period. It is still too high in most communities across the state. That is the main issue.

As far as the other issues, illegal immigration being the chief one, I don't buy it. Places like Texas and Colorado have the same problem brewing. Georgia and North Carolina are on their way. The problem may not be as bad in those places yet, but its coming. We as a nation can not come to a workable and practical solution on the matter. So we sit on our hands and the problem gets bigger.

Why would I move to another state to get away from the so-called illegals only find myself in the same situation in just a few short years. No thanks. At least I know what I am getting in California. At least there is some degree of understanding about reality here in California.

And as one other poster noted, if people were willing to pay the true cost of the products and services they use then our illegal immigration problem wouldn't be so bad. Instead people rant and rave about it all the while they never mow their own lawns. They love fresh produce picked by migrant worker hands. The love getting their cars detailed at the car wash on weekends by the Hispanic workers who speak little to no English. As long as those kinds of entitlement attitudes exist in other states then the problem will rear its head back east also.

Sorry, I know this is not an immigration thread. But people are citing it as one of their chief reasons for leaving. I just think it is shortsighted to act like this is a Calfornia problem. It is an America problem.

Old 01-14-2009, 01:03 PM

1,458 posts, read 3,283,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyPhoenix View Post
Some people dont understand that for some reason.
Yes, I know, and that is why I included the part about foreigners coming in. Not all foreigners are unskilled or broke as they all seem to be mislabeled.

Legal immigration is part of the backbone of society and they tend to bring in both needed capital, drive, and skills into the Country.

Secondly, most of the population growth has come from natural growth, or more births than death. So, that population isn't going to be added into the labor pool, buying homes, or contributing to traffic any time soon.
California Department of Finance: Demographic, Economic, and Financial Research

What's more important to look at is the labor force. And that has showed a very slight decrease. Hopefully, this number will continue to shrink, because this is where you will see the changes (cheaper homes, fewer people on highways, and firmer labor markets) that I mentioned earlier.
California Department of Finance - Latest California Employment Data

So, yes, let the economy sort things out... people leaving the State is great news. Innovate, improve, train, re-educate... otherwise... move where things are easier.

-chuck22b

Old 01-14-2009, 01:07 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,297,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Illegal imigration is a problem that many states face. In Arizona, Texes and other states that many "flee" to they will not get away from illegal immigration anyway, so it is a non issue that I am not too concerned about because I can't end it. The Government can and won't.
Yep, nobody in office, no law-makers, want to touch this issue with a 10' pole. But I'm convinced that no feasible possibility of "affordable" or universal healthcare will become a reality until the borders are closed.

Canada has been able to maintain their universal healthcare because of their tight borders and anti-anchor baby laws. (I read in a local paper a few months ago that Oregon has the highest migrant anchor-baby births in the nation.)

Personally, I miss California and would love to return.

Old 01-14-2009, 01:14 PM

1,831 posts, read 5,293,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDude1 View Post
I think it comes down to the cost of housing. Period.
That is the bottom line. As housing costs have dropped, the number of people leaving has actually dropped by half.

Old 01-14-2009, 01:27 PM

1,458 posts, read 3,283,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheri257 View Post
That is the bottom line. As housing costs have dropped, the number of people leaving has actually dropped by half.
Yea, sadly... hopefully they stay out and don't come back. I'm starting to see a lot of threads of people "wanting" to come back or are heading back to California. Grrr... such opportunists!

Maybe I should tell them how horrible the job markets are! It's horrible! don't come here! it's bad.... it's sooooo hot... the fires! the winds! the evil politicians! budget deficits! illegals! sooo smoggy, and those Earthquakes... we had one a couple weeks ago and it ravished the land!

Sheri, we should complain more and rat on California... maybe then, not as many people would want to come back ... less people coming back is good for those that stay.

Don't come back! Please.

-chuck22b

Old 01-14-2009, 01:30 PM

1,831 posts, read 5,293,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck22b View Post
I'm starting to see a lot of threads of people "wanting" to come back or are heading back to California.
Yeah. It is kinda funny. It used to be just us die hards ... not anymore.

There's definitely been a change ... probably because of lousy winter weather and, falling housing prices here.

I really don't want a bunch of people to move back either ... at least until after I buy my new house.

Old 01-14-2009, 01:52 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,072,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momojojo View Post
Fresno Facts,thanks for the input. I hate cigarette smoke too. We're going to check out a lot of places. I'll always be a Californian at heart (I even have California poppies tattooed on my ankle) but we're looking for new experiences. Maybe NC, KY or TN. Who knows. Maybe we won't go anywhere, but its fun to look. Other than drought, what else did you notice about the hill country, pros & cons?
We liked the area, my second visit. The drought makes everything dry right now, hopefully it will not be an extended drought for them.

Hard to say from short visits but I think it is culturally close to the Central Valley in values. People were friendly to us even being just a couple of strangers.

We actually commented to ourselves while in downtown San Antonio that there similarities in appearance to downtown Fresno. The RiverWalk is great and unique but step up to street level and its older buildings, some vacant, and not a lot of foot traffic.

Old 01-14-2009, 02:05 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,072,757 times
Some people feel that a reason to leave is that California's schools are getting bad with not enough money spent on education.

But I found this article today to be interesting.

Yes California is low in per capita student spending these days, BUT so are a lot of the states popular with people moving out of California.

National Average $9,963 per student
Oklahoma $8,255
Idaho $8,034
North Carolina $7,835
Washington $7.688
Tennessee $7,620
California $7,571
Texas $7,561
Nevada $7,213
Arizona $7,112
Utah $5,964
SF Gate: Multimedia (image) (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/object/article?f=/c/a/2009/01/14/MNS4159KA4.DTL&o=2 - broken link)

Old 01-14-2009, 02:07 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,032,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck22b View Post
Yea, sadly... hopefully they stay out and don't come back. I'm starting to see a lot of threads of people "wanting" to come back or are heading back to California. Grrr... such opportunists!

Maybe I should tell them how horrible the job markets are! It's horrible! don't come here! it's bad.... it's sooooo hot... the fires! the winds! the evil politicians! budget deficits! illegals! sooo smoggy, and those Earthquakes... we had one a couple weeks ago and it ravished the land!

Sheri, we should complain more and rat on California... maybe then, not as many people would want to come back ... less people coming back is good for those that stay.

Don't come back! Please.

-chuck22b
I'll join you guys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California