Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 08:00 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,158,091 times

Advertisements

This makes me sad. It was my first job in high school. Also, a job at Gottschalk's is the reason my widowed great grandmother moved herself and my grandma to the Fresno area from the mid-west in about 1918!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 08:29 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,071,857 times
There may be more chains than those 4 looking at some of the locations.

A commercial real estate broker in Visalia said this, "Three Macy's-style companies, but not Macy's, have expressed some interest," Maaske said. "But I'm not at liberty to say exactly who they are."
Visalia mall: Gottschalks blow will be absorbed | visaliatimesdelta.com | Visalia Times-Delta and Tulare Advance-Register (http://www.visaliatimesdelta.com/article/20090401/NEWS01/904010320 - broken link)

So maybe Dillards or someone else is also in the mix? At the Visalia Mall, Penneys is already the other anchor, Kohls has a 1-year old store across the street, Target just built a new superstore about a mile away, and WalMart would not go into a 2 story enclosed mall store.

Here in Fresno, company execs also say there may be a revival of the name. They are still talking with the Chinese about picking up some of the real estate and the brand name and starting over as a smaller company.
"Famalette held out some hope Wednesday that some version of the 105-year-old chain store might yet arise out of Chapter 11 bankruptcy. Famalette said a Chinese company, Shandong Commercial Group, remains interested in keeping the store open in some fashion. Famalette said he remains "in communication" with the Chinese firm. Potentially, attorney Stephen Warren told the court Wednesday, Shandong could be in a position to buy the Gottschalks' name as well as some of its store properties, which are being sold separately from the stores' inventory."
Judge OKs dismantling of Gottschalks - Updates - fresnobee.com (http://www.fresnobee.com/updates/story/1302110.html - broken link)

Attmpting to revive a brand name is not unheard of. In fact the family of Mervyns founder purchased the company name, some clothing line brand names and the web site URL a few weeks ago and plan to bring the company back, focused as a web business.
Family Aims For a Return Of Mervyn's - WSJ.com
Mervyns.com

Old 04-01-2009, 08:43 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,756,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoFacts View Post
There may be more chains than those 4 looking at some of the locations.

A commercial real estate broker in Visalia said this, "Three Macy's-style companies, but not Macy's, have expressed some interest," Maaske said. "But I'm not at liberty to say exactly who they are."
Visalia mall: Gottschalks blow will be absorbed | visaliatimesdelta.com | Visalia Times-Delta and Tulare Advance-Register (http://www.visaliatimesdelta.com/article/20090401/NEWS01/904010320 - broken link)

So maybe Dillards or someone else is also in the mix? At the Visalia Mall, Penneys is already the other anchor, Kohls has a 1-year old store across the street, Target just built a new superstore about a mile away, and WalMart would not go into a 2 story enclosed mall store.

Here in Fresno, company execs also say there may be a revival of the name. They are still talking with the Chinese about picking up some of the real estate and the brand name and starting over as a smaller company.
"Famalette held out some hope Wednesday that some version of the 105-year-old chain store might yet arise out of Chapter 11 bankruptcy. Famalette said a Chinese company, Shandong Commercial Group, remains interested in keeping the store open in some fashion. Famalette said he remains "in communication" with the Chinese firm. Potentially, attorney Stephen Warren told the court Wednesday, Shandong could be in a position to buy the Gottschalks' name as well as some of its store properties, which are being sold separately from the stores' inventory."
Judge OKs dismantling of Gottschalks - Updates - fresnobee.com (http://www.fresnobee.com/updates/story/1302110.html - broken link)

Attmpting to revive a brand name is not unheard of. In fact the family of Mervyns founder purchased the company name, some clothing line brand names and the web site URL a few weeks ago and plan to bring the company back, focused as a web business.
Family Aims For a Return Of Mervyn's - WSJ.com
Mervyns.com
Dillards or Nordstrom going in Visalia? Dillards, yes, but what other Macys-styled stores r there? Not a Neiman Marcus. Could it be Belk is thinking of coming to the west coast? I am still hoping San Luis Obispo gets a Macy's. SLO could get the Target where Gottschalks is, but that doesnt seem like its the plan with Target wanting to be in the new shopping center. JcPenney's has expressed no interest in SLO, and Macy's has tried to get into SLO for some time now. Also, Dillards is a possible replacement.

I am thinking Wal-Mart will move into Gottschalk's smallest stores, and I think Target will move into some small stores too. Dick's Sporting Goods, Burlington Coat Factory, and Forever 21 I think are looking into southern california locations. And I think JcPenney's is looking into some of Gottschalk's smaller locations and the Capitola Mall. Dillards seems to be interested in the Clovis, Visalia, Merced, and SLO stores possibley. I also think Macy's is also rumored to come replace SLO's store.

Last edited by the city; 04-01-2009 at 08:51 PM..

Old 04-01-2009, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
I am thinking Wal-Mart will move into Gottschalk's smallest stores, and I think Target will move into some small stores too. Dick's Sporting Goods, Burlington Coat Factory, and Forever 21 I think are looking into southern california locations. And I think JcPenney's is looking into some of Gottschalk's smaller locations and the Capitola Mall. Dillards seems to be interested in the Clovis, Visalia, Merced, and SLO stores possibley. I also think Macy's is also rumored to come replace SLO's store.
The small stores are too small for WalMart or Target. Gottschalks locations went down to 30,000 sq ft.

WalMart and Target would not go that small these days. They are both into opening stores over about 90,000 or 100,000 sq ft.

Only 12 Gottschalks stores are larger than SLO, which is about 100,000 sq ft. You can see the size of all Gottschalks stores here.
http://commercialvx.marketfronts.com...ochure3.31.pdf

Old 04-02-2009, 12:36 AM

Quote:
The small stores are too small for WalMart or Target. Gottschalks locations went down to 30,000 sq ft.

WalMart and Target would not go that small these days. They are both into opening stores over about 90,000 or 100,000 sq ft.

Only 12 Gottschalks stores are larger than SLO, which is about 100,000 sq ft. You can see the size of all Gottschalks stores here.
http://commercialvx.marketfronts.com...ochure3.31.pdf
Have u heard anything about Macy's to replace any stores? I just know that they will replace the SLO store. And so would u guess that wal-mart and target would get the stores around 90,000sq. ft.? and that the stores bigger than the slo store will be a dillards, jcpenney's, burlington coat factory, or dick's sporting good, or something other clothing department store?

Old 04-02-2009, 07:59 AM

I'm not saying anything about who will get stores. It is very likely many stores will spend the next few years empty, just as many Mervyns and Circuit City stores are now dark.

All I am saying is that there are few stores that meet a typical Target or WalMart design. Its not just size although that eliminates many of these sites.

You don't usually see Target/WalMart going into enclosed malls, so that eliminates many Gottschalks stores. Target has played with 2 story stores a little but both companies avoid multi level locations.

So there are only a few of these store locations that meet the strategies of Target or WalMart. SLO might so Macys might not be the only choice.

Macys hasn't said much yet. They just opened a 100,000 sq ft single level store in Gilbert, AZ and are building another in Nampa, ID. So they MIGHT cherry pick a few from among the largest Gottschalks stores down to that size.

It is also possible that in some Gottschalks sites we might see a Nordstrom Rack location move in.

But remember the economy is still very bad. It is very hard for anyone to line up financing to do any major expansion.

Old 04-02-2009, 09:58 AM

764 posts, read 2,036,300 times
Quote:
It is very likely many stores will spend the next few years empty, just as many Mervyns and Circuit City stores are now dark.
This is the most likely outcome for several years, at least, due to both the economy and the size/location/layout of the stores.

It really is unfortunate. Sierra Vista mall in Clovis, for example, was end-anchored by a Mervyns on one side and a Gottschalks on the other. I wonder how this will affect their overall operations and finances.

Old 04-02-2009, 12:19 PM

target is going to be in SLO so target wont work. and there is a wal-mart in arroyo grande, so no walmart in slo. dillards, macys, and jcpenneys are the most likely canidates for SLO. macys i think is the most likely given the characteristic of the town and the store is at 100,500 sq. ft. i think dillards and jcpenney's will take the majority and macys and others will take the rest.

Old 04-02-2009, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriatica View Post
It really is unfortunate. Sierra Vista mall in Clovis, for example, was end-anchored by a Mervyns on one side and a Gottschalks on the other. I wonder how this will affect their overall operations and finances.
Sierra Vista has had a problem the past year or two anyway. They built an outdoor expansion that added the 16 screen theater and over 100,000 sq ft. But many of the new buildings still are empty after a year. Gottschalks will just add to that on the east end.

The rumor circulated a year or two ago that Sierra Vista was talking to Dillards but that dried up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
target is going to be in SLO so target wont work. and there is a wal-mart in arroyo grande, so no walmart in slo. dillards, macys, and jcpenneys are the most likely canidates for SLO. macys i think is the most likely given the characteristic of the town and the store is at 100,500 sq. ft. i think dillards and jcpenney's will take the majority and macys and others will take the rest.
Of course Macys is a possible, but so are others.

Last I heard Target wasn't starting SLO construction until late in 2010 and opening in 2011. It is possible they might look at getting out of that agreement and open a year or two earlier in Gottschalks' site.

WalMart is not afraid to have stores within a few miles of each other if the market supports it. WalMart has stores in both Selma and Dinuba which are only 13 miles apart. (the population in each of those towns is under 25,000) WalMart in Arroyo Grande to WalMart Santa Maria is 18 miles. The Gottschalks site in SLO to WalMart in Arroyo Grande is 15 miles. So it is a possibility they might look into SLO.

WalMart is also willing to close one store to open another in a better location.

What will make SLO interesting is that it was one of the few owned stores. That will attract the chains but also investors who would then lease it to someone. Multiple bidders will impact the costs for a chain and effect who is willing to operate there.

I see the judge set a July 7 auction date for the SLO store, which is 2 months later than the leased sites. We will have a better idea who will take store sites after the May lease auction. Watch to see who bids at the May auction.

Modesto's Vintage Fair says they have several chains interested in the lease for either their entire Gottschalks building or maybe splitting it (one store on the ground floor, a second store on the second and third floors). Macys, Sears, and Penneys are already in that mall so this will be someone else.

Old 04-03-2009, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Sierra Vista has had a problem the past year or two anyway. They built an outdoor expansion that added the 16 screen theater and over 100,000 sq ft. But many of the new buildings still are empty after a year. Gottschalks will just add to that on the east end.

The rumor circulated a year or two ago that Sierra Vista was talking to Dillards but that dried up.

Of course Macys is a possible, but so are others.

Last I heard Target wasn't starting SLO construction until late in 2010 and opening in 2011. It is possible they might look at getting out of that agreement and open a year or two earlier in Gottschalks' site.

WalMart is not afraid to have stores within a few miles of each other if the market supports it. WalMart has stores in both Selma and Dinuba which are only 13 miles apart. (the population in each of those towns is under 25,000) WalMart in Arroyo Grande to WalMart Santa Maria is 18 miles. The Gottschalks site in SLO to WalMart in Arroyo Grande is 15 miles. So it is a possibility they might look into SLO.

WalMart is also willing to close one store to open another in a better location.

What will make SLO interesting is that it was one of the few owned stores. That will attract the chains but also investors who would then lease it to someone. Multiple bidders will impact the costs for a chain and effect who is willing to operate there.

I see the judge set a July 7 auction date for the SLO store, which is 2 months later than the leased sites. We will have a better idea who will take store sites after the May lease auction. Watch to see who bids at the May auction.

Modesto's Vintage Fair says they have several chains interested in the lease for either their entire Gottschalks building or maybe splitting it (one store on the ground floor, a second store on the second and third floors). Macys, Sears, and Penneys are already in that mall so this will be someone else.
Are u kidding me about a Wal-Mart going in San Luis Obispo??? That's like Santa Barbara getting rid of Nordstrom or Sak's Fifth Avenue and putting in a giant thrift stores.

And Target is slated for construction late this year, and they are far in their path to be built.

Biz Buzz: Target’s SLO plans still on track - Business - San Luis Obispo (http://www.sanluisobispo.com/business/story/620355.html - broken link)

December022008

JcPenney's used to be in San Luis Obispo, so thats why i think they might be an option. And Dillards would probably fit too. But i think macys fits it the city better and has been trying to come to SLO for yrs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California