U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 12:34 PM

217 posts, read 603,732 times

Advertisements

I do see a lot of complaints about taxes, etc. in the CT forum, but I wouldn't say that it takes "an act of god to break through their stoic demeanor." I've been pondering where to go as far as editing jobs and where I think I'd like to be, and I've been considering CA for awhile, started to consider FL when my brother (who lives near West Palm Beach) suggested it and I saw some job openings, and have been considering CT for proximity to NYC and the fact it's a place my boyfriend lived for many years and likes, still considering himself a New Englander more than Ohioan when he spent about an equal amount of time in both places (which should tell you something about the place in and of itself).

I've spent some time on each of the boards, more at times depending on how much I leaned toward a given area, and I'd say that the same complaints exist in all three (cost of living, housing, etc.), and you will find some bitter angry people on all three. But I also found that in each, there were people very helpful and willing to answer questions.

Maybe it was just my experience and others have had a chilly response in a given forum (and I just realized that the person above was talking about people they knew actually living there, so of course that's going to be different alltogether), but when I asked about publishing jobs in CT and whether it makes more sense to look for jobs in the state itself, or live close to NYC and find a job to commute in, I got helpful responses right away.

There are negatives to any place. I'm not wild about the ocean being 57 degrees in July in CA, but then, I'm not wild about it being cold half the year in CT or roasting hot the entire year such that ppl actually complain the ocean water's too hot in FL either. Everyone's going to have different experiences and preferences. To my mind, the forums exist as a place to check out the experience and knowledge of the people who live there and make up your own mind, not a contest of which place is better (although on all of the forums, I see these threads as well. CA or FL, CA or TX, CT or NC, NE or CA).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2007, 06:22 PM

4,445 posts, read 4,754,610 times
Well, it was really bad and I could not deal with it. The winters are very long beginning in about late October/early November and going through April sometimes May. No leaves on the trees for 6 months and gray skies takes it toll, I'm sorry it's just a fact. In addition, in the central part of CT where I lived there is not a lot going on vis a vis diversity of activities.

Old 05-19-2007, 06:42 PM

4,445 posts, read 4,754,610 times
myito,

I tried to highlight your paragraph, but this computer is pretty crappy,

Anyway,

I think you are kind of pushing it with the six months of no leaves on the trees in Connecticut. True, you lived in the central/northern part of the state, and I live on the coast - but the leaves here fall around mid November, and by early April the buds are out. This year they were reported in the News as being about two to three weeks late (the first week of May).

And there is no way you can say we have six months of cold weather. Many, many days in October and April are in the 60's and even low 70's. The Mean Temp in Bridgeport in October is 56 F (Highs 66/Low 46). So its not really fair to paint Connecticut like its Maine or Wisconsin.

Also I surf, and when I jumped in the ocean off Santa Monica, it felt like the Arctic Ocean (61 F in June!) Whew, the Pacific is cold baby! The ocean off New Jersey and Rhode Island is warmer than that in summer. The 80 F water off Myrtle Beach or Ocean City, MD is like bath water compared to SOCAL. I don't know how you guys swim in those cold waters.

Old 11-21-2007, 05:46 PM

2 posts, read 3,700 times
Default Thinking about a CA to CT move

My husband and I are thinking of moving to CT from CA and it's not for job or school reasons, but simply just because. We love the diversity of CA and we're afraid we'll find a lack of diversity in CT compared to CA. However, we're willing to look. My husband and I are an interracial couple and pretty liberal. So we're aware that we'll have to be careful where we decide to put down roots. Actually one of the main reasons we want to leave CA is the weather. I grew up here, but I grew up in the mountains where we used to have snow. Now we live in the San Fernando Valley and I don't think we've ever really seen the seasons change except to hotter and dryer. It's just plain dull. Another reason to move to CT is that the houses really are much more affordable. I'm seeing homes for $200,000 in CT that if they were located in comparable areas of the San Fernando Valley here in CA would cost around $600,000. So does anyone who has experience with racism have any pointers on the least racist, safest, most affordable towns?

Old 11-21-2007, 08:26 PM

7,760 posts, read 1,732,647 times
we went through CT one day this past summer. It's a gorgeous area, and I absolutely loved the bridges over the freeway on the 15. Each one was a little different and so 'old' looking. I also loved the gas station offramp things on that freeway. What a great idea. You dont have to actually leave the freeway to get gas, its more like a dedicated offramp, then gas station, then onramp. Great idea! Everything was green and lush, and it was really beautiful. I wasn't really that impressed with the cities we went through, but it was simply quickie drive through sort of thing. We stayed in Shelton at an old Residence Inn, ate at a wonderful restaurant that looked like a bar in the corner of a shopping center.

One thing that is very different in that area
is that there are a lot of smokers. It may not be that there are more of them, but smoking is allowed almost everywhere. The stink was something that I dont miss.

I enjoyed our trip, but I love CA more

Old 11-21-2007, 08:55 PM

21,157 posts, read 26,598,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4home View Post
Yeah, the message is that people are rootless, and Californians are the worst. A lot of them are descendents of "Okies" who came to CA during the Dust Bowl in the '30's. It's ingrained in their natures to just pack up the old truck (or new SUV) and look for greener pastures. Seriously, though, without being too offensive but also wanting to tell it like it is, many Californians are searching for something that will take them back to an America they knew as a child. Idealized or not, they want to go back in time when we all felt safer - pre-911 and without so many Third World immigrants whose cultures are just too different from our own Euro-centric ones. It's a very deep, almost primal longing, to want to return to a familiar cocoon and for many, that means New England. Where else to better find the the core American values that made our nation great? So they come looking in every village green, at every town hall meeting, at the outdoor band concert in the park, and in the white, steepled church. Norman Rockwell, where are you???
I understand the desire for a 'home' quite well; that stated, being a Wash DC native, the weather alone preclude me from ever living E of the Rockies.

Too; I lived in California from 1978-89 and, barring a massive change in demographics, I certainly will never live in the SoCal area again.

Old 11-21-2007, 09:09 PM

136 posts, read 420,500 times
I'm going to preface this by saying that I try not to be negative on here, and I do know, intellectually, that this is hardly the place for it. But this is something I feel strongly about; some people are racist, some are misogynists, and I happen to have strong feelings towards CT which I am not ashamed to say border on outright hate.

I had a love interest move to CT years ago. I'd visit her back there, the people seemed standoffish and also seemed exceptionally surprised or possibly annoyed when I'd ask them for simple things like the time or maybe directions. Keep in mind that so far, these were neutral observations by myself before I had any preconceived notions of the place. But it was all downhill from there. It wasn't so much the place as it was the people. She had a steady decline which the friends she picked there led her to - she became nothing like the girl I knew, much of it related to drugs. When I got to know her, there's NO WAY she'd ever have had anything to do with that crap, and the only conclusion I have been able to come up with is that it had to have been the people surrounding her there.

I like to think of myself as being very open-minded in almost any other arena, but you CT people should stay there and quit tainting other people's lives. Anybody stupid enough to move to CT as the aforementioned love interest did is equally guilty in my mind as well.

Go ahead and call it a cop-out if you want, but in the interests both of being at least somewhat civil and of not wasting my time talking to CT "people", I don't plan on checking in on responses or posting my own.

Old 11-21-2007, 09:17 PM

7,173 posts, read 18,559,082 times
I grew up on LI, spent plenty of time in CT and MA.

It's great if you are white, middle class, and don't stick out too much.

Biggest problem - commuting to NYC is gnarly unless you are rich enough to live in Fairfield or Westport or whatever.

Old 11-22-2007, 12:51 PM

25,290 posts, read 33,010,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JiminCT View Post
I've been seeing a lot of plates here from CA. I would think that would be a really easy move for folks coming east (sans weather). Anybody out there contemplating a move to the Nutmeg State?
Actually,
Connecticut is one of the states where more people from there are moving to CA than vice versa-and there are probably tens of thousands of former CTers here so there is also the interchange of people back and forth-not a surprise. Of course, CA, which accounts for 1 in 8 Americans, also move around and so what may appear to be great numbers are relatively small.

Old 11-22-2007, 12:53 PM

25,290 posts, read 33,010,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
I grew up on LI, spent plenty of time in CT and MA.

It's great if you are white, middle class, and don't stick out too much.

Biggest problem - commuting to NYC is gnarly unless you are rich enough to live in Fairfield or Westport or whatever.
In my foray to the East Coast, I lived the Upper West Side of Manhattan for a while but actually worked in Montvale, New Jersey, so after a while I decided to move to Upper Nyack(in Rockland County just over the Tappan Zee Bridge) to be near my job.

I enjoyed living in that part of the country-but its a bit different from here in many ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California