Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2016, 12:03 PM

1 posts, read 1,239 times

Advertisements

We moved to Arroyo Grande 13 years ago after growing up in Orange County, CA and then living in big cities on the east coast and the mid-west. We LOVE IT! We live in east Arroyo Grande because it gets us out of the fog and we enjoy the warmer weather in the summer as well as the beautiful rural scenery. We have kids and have found the schools and environment for them amazing. There is a ton to do, but it is a much slower pace of life which we absolutely appreciate. There is no traffic - we complain when there is a slow down on the freeway. I love seeing people I know in every store and at every sporting event or theater show. I know a huge portion of the kids with whom my kids go to school. The negatives are that there is NO shopping (not a problem for us) and that we end up driving to LAX or SFO to fly. The housing prices are high, but not out of line with any other city on the coast of CA. The beaches are amazing. We love our vineyards. It's an outdoor lifestyle kind of place with lots of active people. One of our local coffee shops printed up a t-shirt "93420- Arroyo Grade - Nice town, Normal people." In our minds it's absolutely true! My kids have friends from a variety of ethnic backgrounds. It's really a non-issue. We don't want it to get to be a big city, so if you have reservations about moving up here please don't. However, if you are a nice family who wants to move to a beautiful place to raise some great kids and contribute to a fantasic community, you are welcome here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2016, 09:25 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,740,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralcoastMomof3 View Post
We moved to Arroyo Grande 13 years ago after growing up in Orange County, CA and then living in big cities on the east coast and the mid-west. We LOVE IT! We live in east Arroyo Grande because it gets us out of the fog and we enjoy the warmer weather in the summer as well as the beautiful rural scenery. We have kids and have found the schools and environment for them amazing. There is a ton to do, but it is a much slower pace of life which we absolutely appreciate. There is no traffic - we complain when there is a slow down on the freeway. I love seeing people I know in every store and at every sporting event or theater show. I know a huge portion of the kids with whom my kids go to school. The negatives are that there is NO shopping (not a problem for us) and that we end up driving to LAX or SFO to fly. The housing prices are high, but not out of line with any other city on the coast of CA. The beaches are amazing. We love our vineyards. It's an outdoor lifestyle kind of place with lots of active people. One of our local coffee shops printed up a t-shirt "93420- Arroyo Grade - Nice town, Normal people." In our minds it's absolutely true! My kids have friends from a variety of ethnic backgrounds. It's really a non-issue. We don't want it to get to be a big city, so if you have reservations about moving up here please don't. However, if you are a nice family who wants to move to a beautiful place to raise some great kids and contribute to a fantasic community, you are welcome here!
Hi. Welcome to c-d-f.
Good post.
The original post is 7 years old. Just letting you know in case you don't get a response from the original poster.

Old 06-04-2018, 09:52 PM

2 posts, read 1,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
Pismo beach, Grover Beach, arroyo grande, oceano, and avila beach r white surfer towns. they r pricey, especially pismo beach. grover and oceano get bad over-cast sometimes, but the five cities area is great for families.

nipomo is horrible, there is a poor and rich clash going on. there is also a bad gang there called nipas 13 that gets in fights with the santa maria gang.

san luis obispo is really good because it's a college town and there is a lot to see and do. good weather there, and very open-minded city people. also, there is some diversity. although the city is mostly white, there is a good amount of hispanics that work there and a good amount of asians that live there.

i would say SLO is your best bet.
No, this is completely wrong I have lived in Nipomo for all my life is far and it is very boring but of course to me that’s with all of five cities after a while and you can go to solvang which is a beautiful little town that has a Dutch theme that is 45 minutes away from Nipomo. As for the gang I have heard of them once but I do not live on the commonly referred to as the bad side of Nipomo like this guy was saying the wealth clash I live on the more expensive side so you dont see much of that here so if you are willing to pay 1.5 mill for a house you will have no problems but the other houses that are 1 mill are also great but usually are smaller I live in black lake which is a golf course type area the only thing that sucks about it here is that there is a home owner association and it does have a good amount of regulations but it does make he neighborhood look good also you don’t have to worry about your kids playing around the front because if they know not to go into the street that is really the biggest danger most people that walk by will just be old folks that are really nice or the middle age people both usually walking a pet. In my opinion either Nipomo or San Luis in som places

Old 06-04-2018, 09:54 PM

2 posts, read 1,518 times
Another thing to add this is just a opinion and this thread is probably old but I just wanted to say this
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California