U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 02-17-2009, 11:13 AM
 
Location: Sacramento
13,477 posts, read 16,403,651 times
Reputation: 5319

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynetarzana View Post
I lost my house too, but I sold before foreclosure was imminent. I lost every penny though. Yet I still have compassion for others. I don't feel like a victim.
Good for you, glad it didn't make you bitter towards others.

Kudos!
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-17-2009, 04:15 PM
 
67 posts, read 61,272 times
Reputation: 28
Default Illegal Immigrants are to Blame

Illegal Immigrants cost the taxpayers of callifornia over13billion anually.They use our social services, spit out more kids then they can handle, flood our school systems, commit crimes which forces us to build more jails, dont pay taxes, dont speak english. They are the reason that our tax returns have been delayed.we would be able to afford the xtra programs and bond measures if it wasnt for the deficiet that they cause.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2009, 06:05 PM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
1,554 posts, read 3,618,666 times
Reputation: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeinIE View Post
Illegal Immigrants cost the taxpayers of callifornia over13billion anually.They use our social services, spit out more kids then they can handle, flood our school systems, commit crimes which forces us to build more jails, dont pay taxes, dont speak english. They are the reason that our tax returns have been delayed.we would be able to afford the xtra programs and bond measures if it wasnt for the deficiet that they cause.
If we weren't addicted to using their cheap labor we wouldn't be in this situation. The immigrants aren't the only ones to be blamed here.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2009, 06:24 PM
 
2,987 posts, read 4,851,027 times
Reputation: 1388
MikeinIE, what about the people paying the immigrants knowing they don't have their papers? CA has a lot of ridiculous spending habits and doesn't know how to control/spend the money they do have. At some point CA was bound to collapse. It is CA's fault for electing an actor with no experience as its governor.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2009, 09:24 PM
 
5,375 posts, read 7,202,059 times
Reputation: 2770
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeinIE View Post
Illegal Immigrants cost the taxpayers of callifornia over13billion anually.They use our social services, spit out more kids then they can handle, flood our school systems, commit crimes which forces us to build more jails, dont pay taxes, dont speak english. They are the reason that our tax returns have been delayed.we would be able to afford the xtra programs and bond measures if it wasnt for the deficiet that they cause.
I'm not sure it's all on them, but they aren't helping the system.

It would be better if the government had a serious ("not a joke") border, and verified employers when they hire people to ensure that they have the right to work in the US.

Our system is a joke. Our borders are a joke. It's a joke that employers must verify employees' right to work. I've been an employer. I had to verify myself to make sure I had the right to work. (I did.) Unfortunately the system just ignores you when you don't report. Reporting is supposedly required, but in truth it is optional. Or at least it isn't enforced, which is the moral equivalent of being optional.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2009, 10:24 PM
 
67 posts, read 61,272 times
Reputation: 28
How about verifieing social security numbers, or exacted heavy fines on businesses that hire illegals to deter hiring them in the first place.Heres a comparison Ive been using lately that you all might like. If you leave food out in your house all the time you are bound to attract mice or other pests. Take the food away, keep it clean, akeep your windows/doors shut, and the pests go elsewhere to look for a free meal.
Bottom line is if we keep giving them free handouts or jobs, they will keep coming back.
Dont get me wrong, Im all for a migrant work program. They can come and work the fields all they want, they just have to go back. Oh, and btw, farmers can afford to pay higher wages, they just refuse to. I read that if the raised the wages of the field workers that pick apples for ex. to 10 dollars an hour, it would only cost the consumer 10 cents more a pound for apples in the store.Im willing to pay 10 cents more a pound for apples no problem, how about you? I think Americans would do those jobs if the wages were better, so i dont buy that whole "They are just doing the jobs that Americans wont do" BS.
P.S. Give me my refund Arnold, you nazi socialist
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2009, 10:25 PM
 
67 posts, read 61,272 times
Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
MikeinIE, what about the people paying the immigrants knowing they don't have their papers? CA has a lot of ridiculous spending habits and doesn't know how to control/spend the money they do have. At some point CA was bound to collapse. It is CA's fault for electing an actor with no experience as its governor.
How can you just ignore 13 billion dollars a year or the overcrowding in the schools and jails. You must not live in any of the border states.Why do you think the size of government in California has double since 1999, its because they are a fiscal strain on all of our systems, from schools, hospitals, jails, you name it.Forget about all the ridiculous bonds weve voted on in the past, because if you take illegals out of the budget, then all that doesnt even matter.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2009, 02:19 PM
 
5,375 posts, read 7,202,059 times
Reputation: 2770
It's silly to blame this all on Gov. Schwartzenegger. He's just the one with a bit of sanity in refusing to write checks when there's nothing in the checking account.

The fault the checking account is empty is the Democrats who spend and spend on social programs, and the Republicans who won't vote for higher taxes to pay for the programs. It's up to each person to decide which party is more to blame, but until the two parties get together and pass a compromise budget.

I don't consider myself a Republican, but I think we have too many programs and too high taxes. I'm all for no new taxes, and cutting programs until the budget balances. If kicking out the illegals helps that then I'm all for that too.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2009, 02:55 PM
 
Location: Heart of the San Joaquin
350 posts, read 734,950 times
Reputation: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
It's silly to blame this all on Gov. Schwartzenegger. He's just the one with a bit of sanity in refusing to write checks when there's nothing in the checking account.

The fault the checking account is empty is the Democrats who spend and spend on social programs, and the Republicans who won't vote for higher taxes to pay for the programs. It's up to each person to decide which party is more to blame, but until the two parties get together and pass a compromise budget.

I don't consider myself a Republican, but I think we have too many programs and too high taxes. I'm all for no new taxes, and cutting programs until the budget balances. If kicking out the illegals helps that then I'm all for that too.
I totally agree. We need to close the borders, put the prisoners to work, put welfare workers to work and limit the timeframe for collecting benefits, print information in English only.. that should save some money. We make it entirely too easy for people to come over and take advantage of us.
I'm all for helping the underdog and all that, but I'm tired of breastfeeding the world. We need to clean house and take our state and country back.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2009, 03:30 PM
 
5,375 posts, read 7,202,059 times
Reputation: 2770
I think we have too many programs, and too big a state government. It has become too expensive for us taxpayers, and all too often it's the taxpayers who are paying for the programs, and everybody else who is actually getting the services.

Cut some programs. Leave the taxes where they are, no new taxes.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top