U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 02:37 AM

29,041 posts, read 44,915,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
ahahahahahaha. I drive a toyota echo that gets almost 37MPG. My drive to work is 4miles one way. My drive to school is 11miles one way. Costs me about 20$/month to fill it up. I go to work five days a week and school about two times a week.

*points and laughs at all SUV owners*
I drive a Honda Accord, and still pay $50 at the pumps!! Though my commute will soon be only 1/2 mile, so I'll have ya beat on that...

But on the subject of SUVs, I shake my head whenever I see a Hummer with temporary plates... which is still surprisingly common! I understand keeping one you already own, but why would someone buy a new SUV right now?? It's a free country, but they lose their right to whine about gas prices - LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2007, 05:28 PM

2,818 posts, read 9,908,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I drive a Honda Accord, and still pay $50 at the pumps!! Though my commute will soon be only 1/2 mile, so I'll have ya beat on that...

But on the subject of SUVs, I shake my head whenever I see a Hummer with temporary plates... which is still surprisingly common! I understand keeping one you already own, but why would someone buy a new SUV right now?? It's a free country, but they lose their right to whine about gas prices - LOL.
With a one-half mile commute, please say you won't still drive!

Definitely agree on the Hummer ("bummer") take. Even if one CAN afford to fuel an in-your-face monstrosity like that, knowing everything we now know about SUV's contribution to air quality (or lack of it), the mid-east oil situation and polar ice-caps melting, the question that comes to my mind every time I see a new Hummer is, "are you really that self-centered?" The answer is probably, "yes!"

Old 03-13-2007, 05:33 PM

3,853 posts, read 11,645,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8 View Post
Not at all bad! But at those distances you could ride a bike, hardly work up a sweat, and pay $0.00 to fill up. Or, to quote a Mr. Ken Kifer, by cycling you'd get around "seven miles per banana."
http://www.kenkifer.com/bikepages/index.htm (broken link)
Yea I could do that. I used to take the bus before I had a car. Worked out great.

Old 03-14-2007, 02:18 PM

29,041 posts, read 44,915,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8 View Post
With a one-half mile commute, please say you won't still drive!
Actually, I'm still debating on that, for two reasons... one is that it's not the safest neighborhood, and since I often work nights, it might not be smart to walk home after work. The other reason is that I'm planning to go home at lunch, to eat & walk my dog, so walking would take up half my lunch break... I have bad knees, so can't ride a bike or jog/power-walk. I'd love to not drive, especially since parking is sometimes a b----, but we'll have to see!

Old 03-14-2007, 02:24 PM

2,814 posts, read 12,059,391 times
I paid $2.39 in Springfield this afternoon to fill my Tacoma 4x2, it cost $23. I fill up about once a month and last time it was around $2.
I don't know why the prices are so different between Missouri and California. Someone's making a LOT of money and it's not the gas station owners.

Old 03-14-2007, 02:27 PM

4,610 posts, read 10,189,113 times
That is one of many reasons why I am buying a Hybrid this summer.

Old 03-15-2007, 06:00 PM

800 posts, read 3,951,889 times
$2.35 northern Detroit suburbs...

Roma,
You rock! Hybrids rule!

Quote:
Not at all bad! But at those distances you could ride a bike, hardly work up a sweat, and pay $0.00 to fill up. Or, to quote a Mr. Ken Kifer, by cycling you'd get around "seven miles per banana."
That's my idea of 'fuel economy'...I'm thinking of it as my warm-up for the day since I ride 20-40 miles/day Hmm, maybe I'll just bike to work once I move

Old 03-15-2007, 08:51 PM

1,379 posts, read 5,893,390 times
2.30 in Fort worth and then drove a few minutes and saw a station that was selling regular unleaded for 2.08...gotta love Texas!

Old 03-18-2007, 12:39 AM

30,211 posts, read 16,745,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
I paid $3.08 yesterday, which seems to be the lowest price around here. The real joke is that I went to get gas last Thursday, and gasped at seeing $2.81. I thought, "This is ridiculous. This station is owned by an extortionist." As a result, I only put $10 in. I probably could have saved myself $3 if I had just filled up then!

However, I'm grateful to drive a Toyota Corolla (even if it is automatic!) and I commute 12 miles to work one way.
The cheapest I've seen in this area is $2.99/gallon for 87 octane at my local ARCO. Thankfully, I also drive a Japanese subcompact (Mazda Protege), and my drive to work one way is 7 miles. I usually fill up once a week (Saturday or Sunday), and my tank is usually just getting to the halfway mark by then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or