Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2009, 09:15 AM

1,542 posts, read 6,023,145 times

Advertisements

my friends and i (4 young guys) are planning to go on a road trip down the california coast and need to do some research beforehand.

has anyone ever driven along the PCH from san francisco to los angeles (or vice versa)?

if so, can you recommend any guides or websites to help me plan for this trip? or can you give me any specific tips or warnings based on your personal experiences?

i'm looking for the following information:
-cheap, clean hotels on or near the PCH, anywhere from santa cruz down to (and including) santa barbara
-inexpensive but good local non-chain eateries: places like taco stands and other take-out options, hole-in-the-wall diners, or beachside shacks with lots of character
-prime spots along the beach or in the hills just off the PCH for taking in the ocean views and snapping some photos
-worthwhile detours off the PCH with beautiful vistas - perhaps some scenic and/or twisting roads where we can just cruise and enjoy the views, or maybe a specific destination that's worth going out of the way

i'd also like to find more about santa cruz, big sur, and santa barbara, since i know very little about these areas.

thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 09:41 AM

26,338 posts, read 93,506,724 times
I rode my bicycle from SF to LA in 1995. I stayed in hostels. It is the way to go. There's a neat one near UCSC; it's a rennovated 1890s Victorian house - totally cool with one of those huge standalone bathtubes too. The rooms were like three or four bunk beads or 6 to 8 people per room but it was like $7/night then, I forgot. There's also a neat hostel at Fort Mason in San Francisco, it was excellent too. All are clean and totally central to eating and goofing around.

If you take Highway 1 you will have tons of great photo ops along the way.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:19 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,529,479 times
We set out and do a round trip up and down PCH yearly. Never any plans, but we do always get clam chowder in Morro Bay

Old 01-21-2009, 11:27 AM

301 posts, read 1,506,741 times
One of my all-time favorite getaways. I used to drive SF to SD every year when I had a convertible. So much fun, especially passing through Big Sur. I've done PCH on a bicycle too and camped along the way. I used the book "Bicycling The Pacific Coast: A Complete Route Guide, Canada To Mexico".

Whether you bike or drive, check with Caltrans before you leave to make sure you avoid any closures due to landslide.

There are lots of scenic turnouts along the way. Make sure you hit the "17 mile drive" in Carmel.

The Visitor and Convention Bureaus in each city will be able to supply a lot of info.

Old 01-22-2009, 08:00 AM

thanks for the tips so far.

any other suggestions? any must-visit eateries or other attractions along this route? what about santa cruz or santa barbara - is there anything we shouldn't miss there?

Old 01-22-2009, 08:45 AM

286 posts, read 1,228,538 times
Check out www.travelblog.org - you can even write a blog about your trip here and get info from other travelers. Also, the Lonely Planet book series is really helpful.

I would spend more time in So. CA if I could go back...Laguna Beach is beautfiul - and Big Sur has some great hiking. Check out Monterey - and if you like Korean BBQ there is an awesome place in Salinas that has wonderful Korean BBQ. Pismo Beach has good pizza and fish tacos, plus you can check out the pier...what else...honestly, there's so much up and down the PCH. If you're into ppl. watching check out Venice Beach. We camped the whole way up and down the coast and it was pretty economical. One of the best campsites is in Half Moon Bay outside of San Fran. It's a CA state park with an awesome view of the ocean. The only drawback to CA state parks is that you have to pay for showers - a good shower will cost $2.00 - and the camping fees are around $20-$30 per site depending on where you stay. Also check out LaJolla and Doheny Beach State Park. You can get a list of all the state parks online, too.

If you're surfing, camping is the way to go. If not, maybe hotels, hostels, etc. If you're up for venturing off the beaten path, you can go through wine country or out to Yosemite National Park. Also, remember that if you're driving, you can also sleep in the WalMart parking lots. We did this a few times and it really helped. There's a good WalMart in San Clemente...lol!

Best of luck - I wouldn't plan too much - just hit the road and see where you end up!

Old 01-22-2009, 08:56 AM

286 posts, read 1,228,538 times
Here's the direct link to CA info on the travelblog.org website: California Travel Blogs, Photos, Accommodation, Reviews, Forum

Old 01-22-2009, 11:15 AM

3,721 posts, read 14,683,263 times
escapes of evil daring great at totalescapes.com and click onto place names on the map.

Old 02-07-2009, 08:42 AM

thanks for the suggestions so far...anything else that people can recommend? right now i'm looking into good, non-chain roadside eateries on or just off of the PCH. are there any places that are especially recommended?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California