U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 12:10 PM

9 posts, read 18,607 times

Advertisements

hi everyone! we are currently living in IL and thinking that we'd like to move to a state with warmer weather in the winter. we are currently thinking of CA since AZ seems to be too hot from what I hear and we don't really like being in hurricane prone areas like FL. i've never been to CA so i need as much info as i can get.

do you have any suggestions for affordable suburbs (200-400K houses) anywhere in the san francisco, san bernardino or san diego areas? we're just looking for suggestions, so we could look if there are jobs for us in those areas suggested. we work in the healthcare field so hospitals, clinics, nursing facilities nearby would be good. the things that are important to us are good public schools, nice parks, non-ghetto places where it's safe to walk around, quite safe from forest fires and maybe avoid the tulle fog .

i don't mind the kinds or attitudes of people living in a place or the diversity as long as i can walk around the neighborhod safely whenever i want to. the cost of living in CA is already famous for being high so we're already taking that into consideration. we don't have to live very near metro and rich areas or the bay areas. we don't care about mingling with or seeing filthy rich people, too nor do we expect to live in places with the best amenities at such a low budget. we don't even need a big house, too. a simple 2-3BR/1.5-2bath bungalow with a little backyard for our son (and a future dog) to play in is big enough for us. a good public school and a pretty safe place is all that matters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 01:01 PM

21 posts, read 50,381 times
Default Hello Nutlee

Well your correct certain parts of california is high but it depends on where you would like to stay, i'm born and raised in los angeles california so I can help a little with information and maybe someone else from the state can share a few things too.

Okay perfect website to find jobs I would suggest these two website perfect for finding work, Find Jobs & Employment | Full & Part Time Job Search | SnagAJob.com or Find Jobs. Build a Better Career. Find Your Calling. | Monster.com
(some people also use craigslist.com to find a job and you can also find apartments too on craigslist)

depending on what your looking for I would suggest Los Angeles Apartments, Orange County Apartments, and San Diego Apartments their worth it, they are very large company with a huge listing.
(this website show only apartments and houses for rent which is what you need)

Good Luck

Old 01-21-2009, 02:17 PM

15,470 posts, read 25,425,564 times
The thing about CA's schools is overall they suck. Unless you live in an upper middle class suburbs your schools will be average to decent at best for the most part. And an upper middle class suburb is going to run over $400K usually. There are probably some exceptions but you'll have to look hard to find them. So with that price range don't expect the best schools. ALTHOUGH if you go for a smaller house and even a townhouse you probably could get that for under $400K in an area with good schools in some areas.

San Diego I'd check out Clairemont, La Mesa, San Carlos, Del Cerro, University City, inland North County like Vista and San Marcos, and Eastlake/Chula Vista (lots of foreclosures on new homes here)

In the Bay Area i'd look into Castro Valley, Dublin, Pleasant Hill, and parts of Concord.

Last edited by sav858; 01-21-2009 at 03:12 PM.. Reason: added some areas

Old 01-21-2009, 02:58 PM

8 posts, read 19,580 times
Scholastically, your kids will probably be ahead of most students here. Sports are great! We play baseball year round.

San Francisco is REALLY expensive. Orange County is more expensive than San Diego....many people moved down to North San Diego County and commute up to OC.

San Diego has more opportunities for healthcare jobs: UCSD Medical Center, Scripps, Sharp. It's a little less expensive and less populated in North SD, but still nice (Oceanside, Carlsbad, Fallbrook, Bonsall). Medical Centers in this area include Tri City MC and Palomar MC. There are several sets of community clinics, too.

Old 01-21-2009, 05:21 PM

3,681 posts, read 13,166,378 times
To live in the San Francisco area, you'll need more than $200-$400K for a house. Try double that .

Old 01-21-2009, 05:52 PM

15,470 posts, read 25,425,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtrat View Post
To live in the San Francisco area, you'll need more than $200-$400K for a house. Try double that .
The median price of a single family home in the Bay Area is now $330K

Falling prices, foreclosures bring out home buyers (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/01/21/BUBG15EFC6.DTL&type=realestate - broken link)

Old 01-21-2009, 06:24 PM

1,629 posts, read 4,858,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
The median price of a single family home in the Bay Area is now $330K

Falling prices, foreclosures bring out home buyers (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/01/21/BUBG15EFC6.DTL&type=realestate - broken link)
Bay Area is broad...to say around San Francisco. You won't find a decent house within commuting distance for 200-400k

Old 01-21-2009, 06:38 PM

thanks for those websites misty4m! i'll check them out.

Old 01-21-2009, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
The thing about CA's schools is overall they suck.
hi sav858. gosh that is quite disappointing to hear. i'm realizing it's harder to find where you wanna relocate when you also need to consider the schools...i mean, it's hard enough finding where work will take you and where you really wanna live. can you tell me in what ways do the schools suck?

i'm not so concerned about getting into schools with the highest scores. one with an administration that cares enough about the welfare of its students and gets average scores is good enough coz i can always help my kid with studies to supplement what he gets in school. the more important thing for me is not to get my child in a school where there could be shooting or any crime-related violence any time.

thanks for suggesting some areas where we could look. i'd be sure to check them out

Old 01-21-2009, 07:11 PM

hello volleyball mom. looks like you're echoing sav858's opinion of the CA schools? hmmm...well, it seems that san francisco area would have to be taken out of our list for being expensive.

I've heard about brentwood and most people like it. isn't that near san francisco? I saw some house listings in that area which starts at 200K. i think we can afford that even if it would mean we'd be the poorest people there but i'm worried because most people say it's really expensive there...so there must be other things you pay for when you live there aside from the house cost...i'm not sure if it's the taxes, neighborhood fees or whatever.

we have some relatives in san diego but my husband is quite reluctant to go there because of the people crossing the borders illegally...we like to live in a peaceful community and not where there's always cops chasing some people very often...that is just our impression of course, and i'd be glad if you tell me otherwise. our relatives would sure love it if we can move there.

hey, thanks for mentioning those areas with medical centers...really appreciate that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or