U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2014, 07:17 PM

16,375 posts, read 5,322,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
Any beer experts out there, past or present? What brands of beer do you recall drinking long ago that are no longer available in California? There have been mergers and acquisitions of breweries in recent years, with a few labels brought back, but that is not quite the same. After doing a search of this thread, one label that popped up was good old (?) Brew 102. Only reason I ever drank it was because it was so cheap, and being young and broke, it had to do, even though it was awful. Another that went away was Hamms, with those catchy jingles with the bear. Do not recall seeing Eastside, Falstaff, or Schlitz recently. Corrections and additions?
Lucky Lager. The bottles and cans had a big red X on the label.

Not alcoholic, but I also have fond memories of White Rock, Nehi and Bireley's sodas, Dad's root beer, Bell Brand potato chips, Sonny Boy drink mix, Arden milk and Carnation ice cream.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2014, 09:14 PM

59 posts, read 304,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmLabRat View Post
When I was about 3 (about 1949), my mom took me to see my favorite radio show, "Uncle Whoa Bill". I remember there were 3 sets of bleachers each with about 4 rows. The parents sat in back of the bleachers in the darkened theater. Uncle Whoa Bill sat on a stool in the spotlight in front of the bleachers. I enjoyed the visit quite a lot.
I remember I sang a song on a little stage. He told me (over the radio) to follow a string tied to my bedpost to find my birthday present when I was about 4.........I had a button and a membership card. It was a very low key delightful program - glad someone else remembers it...

Old 10-12-2014, 09:29 PM

17,436 posts, read 10,510,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
Lucky Lager. The bottles and cans had a big red X on the label.

Not alcoholic, but I also have fond memories of White Rock, Nehi and Bireley's sodas, Dad's root beer, Bell Brand potato chips, Sonny Boy drink mix, Arden milk and Carnation ice cream.
Brew 102 and the plant was just off the freeway going into LA from OC

Old 10-13-2014, 03:50 AM

5,163 posts, read 2,745,363 times
Was Dr. Demento on KLOS or KMET? I'm getting so old I can't remember but I remember listenening to him on Sunday night while doing my homework (college) and I still remember the KMET jingle...Little bit o' heaven ninety-four-point-seven-k-m-e-t....twiddle-dee! And then they were gone.

I also remember my father getting lost in downtown L.A. every time went to visit my sister. It always guaranteed a trip through Chinatown and past the Brew 102 Brewery...seemed like a great adventure to a kid!

Last edited by MarciaMarshaMarcia; 10-13-2014 at 03:58 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 10-13-2014, 06:54 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,367 posts, read 8,562,978 times
Probably really dating myself here, but anyone remember a tv show out of the 50's, Captain Z-Ro? It was produced out of KRON in San Francisco, but was later nationally syndicated and became available in a few assorted markets across the country, including where I grew up in western NY.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EQw5NYlbyE

Old 10-14-2014, 03:40 AM

5,163 posts, read 2,745,363 times
JOE JOST'S on Anaheim Street in Long Beach. I just Googled it and it's still there! I lived around the corner from it for a very short while in a place I called the midget house. I remember schooners of Eastern beer. but only my boyfriend could handle the pickled eggs!

Old 08-26-2017, 11:39 PM

2 posts, read 444 times
Valley Plaza is still there. The middle school is where single family homes or perhaps apartments stood. I want to say that Filthy McNasty's was at Lankershim and Victory, and became FM Station.

Old 08-26-2017, 11:44 PM

2 posts, read 444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Wasn't Filthy McNastys somewhere around there? It was a bar or a nightclub as I recall. Sometime in the 1970s.
Filthy McNasty's was at Lankershim and Victory, and became FM Station. The guy who owned both died in 2016. The Palamino was a great spot for country and western acts.

Last edited by Philberts; 08-26-2017 at 11:45 PM.. Reason: Correct misspelling

Old 08-28-2017, 12:37 PM

71,700 posts, read 83,272,206 times
oh man, don't get me started on nostalgia; I remember so many thing about Los Angeles and other parts of the state back 50 or more years ago. I remember Coast Curries ice Cream stores; of course the original Bob's in Glendale, before it was a drive in. I think the first drive in was in Burbank or maybe on the Burbank/Glendale border. How about the cars heating up when climbing the Grapevine on the way to Bakersfield or the Pasadena freeway being called the Arroyo Seco parkway? In fact way back it was called the Speedway.

Just a few more that come to mind: roller skating at the roller rink in Pasadena on Sat night if you didn't have a date; movies that showed double features, news and comics.

Last edited by nmnita; 08-28-2017 at 12:47 PM..

Old 08-28-2017, 12:56 PM

17,436 posts, read 10,510,439 times
Cruising Van Nuys BLVD , until they closed that activity down,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California