U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2008, 03:34 PM

59 posts, read 303,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
Aw Farrells! I think everyone back when I was a kid had their birthday party there! I had my daughters 2 birthday there, 12 years ago, and it's so different than it was. It really was a let down. Remember all those little neon colored plastic zoo animals they'd put in the zoo? Not anymore! I can't even remember if they ran the ice cream out like before.
Unfortunately the video of the Zoo is actually Farrells - but it was interesting!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 03:39 PM

59 posts, read 303,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmouwse View Post
I rememnber corporal punishment in schools... the old Disneyland and Magic Mountain mentioned here... Busch Park... MarineLand... the Wild Animal Park where you drove through in your car and the animals roamed free ... movies were 25 cents and you could stay and watch it as many times as you liked??
Remember Knotts Berry Farm when it had the amusement park on one side and the other side was an Island park with wooden animals with wooden foot levers that gushed water out of their mounths when you jumped up and down on them?
Remember the Japanese Park Petting Zoo and trained animal shows.... in...was it ? Buena Park?
OC when it was rural with farms and agriculture and nothing on the southeast side of the santa ana river? when it had strawberry fields, walnut groves and orange groves along Beach BLVD down to Huntington Beach ? When there were no fences along PCH and the sand was on both sides of the highway with huge amounts of open land? When cerritos and cyprus were dairyland? Riverside and the Inland empire were wheatfields and orange groves??
When there was only one freeway, then 2... and there were never any traffic jams??? and the sky was always blue and the air was always dry???
Remember when all the children used to play outside all day (us) and (our) parents never feared ? Remember all the varieties of tag we played? Remember how thin and healthy we all were? Remember when fitness was more important than the label on your clothes?

oh my ..... <sigh>
I raised my kids in the Huntington Beach area in the 60's. Knotts was mostly free and we would go for walks there - talked to the guy in the jail. The whole area was so great for kids and everyone - so safe, so healthy, so FUN.

Old 07-14-2008, 09:38 PM

1,390 posts, read 2,138,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Wasn't that called Lion Country Safari or something like that? I remember visiting when I was a kid. Marineland was cool, too.
We always took our out-of-town visitors to Lion Country Safari, and they were always disappointed. But the few years that that adorable bag of bones, Frasier, reigned supreme were a real treat. He would often lie on a small hill, surrounded by a half dozen admiring females, while other bigger, stronger, males would eye him jealously from afar.

Frasier sired 33 cubs in two years. Don't know if that's what killed him, or what kept him going.

Old 07-15-2008, 11:10 AM

2,736 posts, read 5,931,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyonejudy View Post
Unfortunately the video of the Zoo is actually Farrells - but it was interesting!
I know, the zoo at Farrells. It was the birthday package, called "The Zoo"

Old 07-20-2008, 07:52 PM

3 posts, read 8,101 times
When looking at the pic, just beyond Bob's I see a sign that says "Burbank's Best Used Cars." Was the city line for Burbank ever Lankershim, at least in the area of between say Oxnard and Chandler? Both the Toyota and Pontiac dealers on the other side of the street are really throwing me for a loop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
I was able to capture the image from the movie, so I am going to attach it here for all to see. Perhaps someone will remember where this Bobs was.

Old 07-20-2008, 07:53 PM

3 posts, read 8,101 times
Licorice Pizza became Tempo Records. There was one on Reseda between Lassen and Plummer, which subsequently moved to where Farrell's once was, up Reseda almost to Devonshire.

Speaking of Farrell's, they're back in Santa Clarita.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Speaking of that chain, remember Licorice Pizza?

Old 07-24-2008, 09:01 PM

3,040 posts, read 10,416,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCordoba View Post
When looking at the pic, just beyond Bob's I see a sign that says "Burbank's Best Used Cars." Was the city line for Burbank ever Lankershim, at least in the area of between say Oxnard and Chandler? Both the Toyota and Pontiac dealers on the other side of the street are really throwing me for a loop.
I am thinking this may have been on San Fernando Road, somewhere around Verdugo Ave. I seem to recall that Burbank Toyota used to be somewhere in this area, along San Fernando between Olive and Alameda. I think there were other car dealerships there, too. Does anyone remember a Bob's near there in the mid to late 1970s? It's also possible it might have been along Glenoaks, but I am more inclined to believe it was San Fernando Rd.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
I am thinking this may have been on San Fernando Road, somewhere around Verdugo Ave. I seem to recall that Burbank Toyota used to be somewhere in this area, along San Fernando between Olive and Alameda. I think there were other car dealerships there, too. Does anyone remember a Bob's near there in the mid to late 1970s? It's also possible it might have been along Glenoaks, but I am more inclined to believe it was San Fernando Rd.
I just did a web search for Burbank Paint, and found them at 548 S. San Fernando Road, between Santa Anita and Providencia, which places them in the area mentioned above. I am almost certain that is where this shot was taken, though I don't remember a Bob's there.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:24 PM

98 posts, read 554,888 times
Yes, Bingo! There was a Bob's Big Boy on San Fernando road, near Cedar Street I think, so it was close to Alameda.

I am pretty sure Vineland, which was in North Hollywood, was the border to Burbank, at least between Oxnard and Chandler.

Old 07-24-2008, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidget View Post
Yes, Bingo! There was a Bob's Big Boy on San Fernando road, near Cedar Street I think, so it was close to Alameda.

I am pretty sure Vineland, which was in North Hollywood, was the border to Burbank, at least between Oxnard and Chandler.
I hadn't thought to read the fine print on the signs until someone pointed out the sign that read something about Burbank's Best Used Cars. It was then that I thought about looking up Burbank Paint, which was on the same side of the street as the Toyota dealership, as could be seen in the picture.

I also agree that it is Vineland that borders Burbank in that area, even though, further south, Lankershim crosses Vineland (at Camarillo St.) and may border Burbank in that area, though that might also be Toluca Lake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California