U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2008, 08:49 AM

2,736 posts, read 5,956,604 times

Advertisements

Remember the run away train ride through a mine at Knotts Berry Farm, and the smell inside of it, how it was all musty smelling? I used to love that ride, not sure if it's still there or the same since it's been years since I've been BUT we just moved to an old 1860 farm house in Va and underneath the house, in the cellar, it totally smells like that ride....I get cool memories when I go down there (even though it kinda creeps me out a little ;0 )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2008, 11:31 PM

3,040 posts, read 10,454,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Wasn't Filthy McNastys somewhere around there? It was a bar or a nightclub as I recall. Sometime in the 1970s.
It was at the corner of Burbank and Lankershim in North Hollywood. It was still there, but under a different name, last time I went by there.

Old 09-13-2008, 04:16 PM

26,346 posts, read 83,060,284 times
There are some killer Disneyland photos on this web page. Very high quality color from the 1950s. Navigate around to the other Disneyland areas. Here's Main Street for example:

Daveland Disneyland Main Street Photos

Old 09-17-2008, 09:36 PM

59 posts, read 305,166 times
Default Pop's Willow Lake

if at all possible please post a photo of pop's willow lake!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kewgee View Post
i love that website as it brings back even more memories like.......

cruising on van nuys boulevard

chris & pits barbeque sauce ~ when we first moved to texas, we had relatives in burbank send us cases of the stuff for years as you can't find it out here. :d

the organ grinder with his monkey

pop's willow lake - oh, my gosh. I still have photographs of fun times there.

i miss southern california. Thanks for posting the link.

Old 09-18-2008, 05:51 PM

Quote:
There are some killer Disneyland photos on this web page. Very high quality color from the 1950s. Navigate around to the other Disneyland areas. Here's Main Street for example:

Daveland Disneyland Main Street Photos
Awesome Disneyland pictures! They bring back memories for me of going there in the 1970s. It has really changed quite a bit since then, and not necessarily for the better, in my opinion. I miss a lot of things about Disneyland that I remember from my youth. "America the Beautiful" is one example.

Old 10-03-2008, 01:48 PM

2 posts, read 8,559 times
No one has mentioned Genieland in Burbank yet. Does anyone remember the place? It was a kids party place where the birthday child would go onstage, sit on a giant toadstool (I believe) and collect candy and such from puppets and characters. Afterward, everyone would go to a party room to have cake and ice cream and open gifts. I remember the place being absolutely wild (of course, I was a child.) Anyone else?

Old 10-03-2008, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abearhunter View Post
No one has mentioned Genieland in Burbank yet. Does anyone remember the place? It was a kids party place where the birthday child would go onstage, sit on a giant toadstool (I believe) and collect candy and such from puppets and characters. Afterward, everyone would go to a party room to have cake and ice cream and open gifts. I remember the place being absolutely wild (of course, I was a child.) Anyone else?
Small writeup here:

Chucklehut | The Chucklehut

Old 10-05-2008, 09:12 AM

Anyone remember toboggan rentals up in Frazier Park, specifically Phifer's toboggan rental? We used to head up there in the late 1960s.

Old 10-05-2008, 10:55 PM

17,446 posts, read 23,978,485 times
No mention of old drunk actors in a CA nostalgia thread?

I saw Dean Martin passed out at Matteo's (venerable Italian restaurant in Westwood popular with mob types and Rat Packers, still around) with his head slumped down in his plate of spaghetti.

The San Fernando Valleyites here might have some stories about the Sportsmen's Lodge - L.A. CityBeat had a piece a couple weeks back about that Valley landmark mentioning an aging Michael Parks and an even more aging Robert Mitchum causing a stir there. Of course any story about Mitchum drinking is going to be entertaining. There was an elderly gentleman I met once who owned a bar on the Sunset Strip in the '50s who had quite a few Mitchum stories.

Old 10-06-2008, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Anyone remember toboggan rentals up in Frazier Park, specifically Phifer's toboggan rental? We used to head up there in the late 1960s.
There's still a toboggan rental place here, but it isn't Phifer's. Actually, there are two such places. One of them has been around for many years in Lake of the Woods, at least since the early-80s, which is when I first remember going there. It may be the same place as Phifer's, but with different owners. The other place is a small sporting goods store in Frazier Park. It hasn't been in the rental business nearly as long, from what I recall. It seems he started renting equipment just four or five years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California