Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2009, 08:11 AM

1 posts, read 9,481 times

Advertisements

What a wonderful website with so many fun memories. We grew up in Encino in the 60s and 70s and remember so many of these great places....Other places that we remember (though some may have been mentioned)

Bullocks Tearoom with Fashion Shows in Sherman Oaks
The Queens Arm Restaurant in Encino
The House of Pies
Robaires Restaurant in LA
Scandia Restaurant
The Magic Pan outside the Promenade
The Surprise Store for jeans
Starduster and The Gibson Girl for girl's clothing
Judy's Warehouse Sales
PSA (my sister was actually on a highjacked Sacramento PSA flight when she was 13..Ruth Ashton Taylor was the reporter at Burbank airport and was very kind to our family)
Genieland and Kiddieland for birthday parties
Fishing at the Sportsman's Lodge
#1 Son (not sure of the name of this actually...there were a couple Japanese fast food places in the Valley...they looked like little round huts with pointed roofs???)
June Ellens for donuts
Penguins Frozen Yogurt
Girl Scout Trips to Hostess Bakery
Channel 52 for Speed Racer and Felix the Cat
Bowling for Dollars with Chick Hearn on Channel 5
Baby Daphne on KTTV
Watching Wonderama with Bob McCallister on Sunday mornings
and in the La Verne area where our grandmother lived...The Taco Kitchen, Betsy Ross and Van Duesen's Deparment Store!

Thanks for the memories!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 01:31 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,743,760 times
How about those old vacuum tube testers at supermarkets back in the 1960s and early 1970s? While mom was waiting to pay, the kids would go to these vacuum tube testers and play with all the knobs and dials. You don't see those anymore.

(image not protected by copyright)

Old 02-10-2009, 06:53 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,590,619 times
Wow, I forgot all about those tube testers! I remember seeing them at Thrifty's when we'd go in for an ice cream cone (which only cost $.25).

Old 02-13-2009, 04:55 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,702,774 times
I guess these threads can go on forever, there is so much to remember: I can tell, many of you are younger than me and maybe a couple are older (I doubt it) I do know most of you were raised on the west side or the valley, I was rasied in Eagle Rock and Pasadena, thus remember things from the "other valley"

Just to add a couple of things: Bob's: when my dad was overseas, mom would take my sister and I to the very first Bobs every Sunday afternoon

The head chef for years at Bullocks Tearoom in Pasa was my parents best friend.

I remember the first INandOut, now look at them. I hope we will never have to say, does anyone remember InandOut?

Christmas wasn't Christmas unless we went down town LA to see all the wonderful Christmas decorations in the store windows, starting with Broadway, ending at the May Co.

Rollar Skating rinks every Sat night if you didn't have a date.

Getting on the Street car and going to downtown to do some shopping for school cloths, just my best friend and me. We would have about $25.00 or so to spend. Always we stopped at Cliftons or the Forum Cafeteria for lunch.

drive in movies every week-end with your date.

Wow, guess we could go on and on..

Thanks for the memories.

Nita

Old 02-17-2009, 06:56 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,595,334 times
I'm really surprised that Clifton's has managed to survive. I went there with a friend of mine last year before seeing Patti Smith at the Orpheum and didn't even know it was still in business. I thought it had closed down years ago.

While I certainly wouldn't praise the quality of the food at Clifton's, it is an L.A. landmark and one of the last surviving remnants of pre-WW2 L.A. I would be sad to see it go.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:04 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,702,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
I'm really surprised that Clifton's has managed to survive. I went there with a friend of mine last year before seeing Patti Smith at the Orpheum and didn't even know it was still in business. I thought it had closed down years ago.

While I certainly wouldn't praise the quality of the food at Clifton's, it is an L.A. landmark and one of the last surviving remnants of pre-WW2 L.A. I would be sad to see it go.
what about the Pantry? Is it gone??
Nita

Old 02-17-2009, 10:55 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,595,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
what about the Pantry? Is it gone??
Nita
Still there.

I believe it's only closed once in its entire history, when Pearl Harbor happened.

The food's better than Clifton's, however.

Other surviving restaurants of pre-WW2 L.A.: Philippe's (the oldest restaurant in L.A. founded in 1913), La Golondrina on Olvera Street (which claims to be the oldest Mexican restaurant in L.A. - not sure exactly when it opened but given that I've read references to the Mack Sennett crowd congregating there it had to have started in the 1910s), Musso & Frank's (since 1919), El Cholo (since 1928), Greenblatt's Deli (since 1929 - oft overlooked because of Canter's being relatively close), El Coyote (mid 1930s - it would be a shame if the negative publicity coming from the owners supporting Prop 8 closed it down, because they do make superb drinks even if the food isn't that great), Pacific Dining Car (I was never there), a couple of Chinatown restaurants opened in the late '30s but I don't remember their names. There may be others.

The Apple Pan in West L.A. opened in 1941 so it would predate US involvement in World War II although not the war itself (best burgers in the world).

Taix started in 1913 but its old location downtown was destroyed by the building of the Hollywood Freeway and it has been at its current location since 1955.

Old 02-17-2009, 10:56 PM

30 posts, read 120,514 times
I know that I'm pretty late on this thread, but I've lived in the LA area my whole life, and now, as I've gotten older, I'm just starting to realize how much I miss the places that I went to when I was younger, and are no longer around. I grew up in West LA(Beverlywood area) in the 70's and 80's, but my older sister moved to the San Fernando Valley back in 1975, and I would visit her in the Valley, sometimes by myself, and sometimes with my parents, after she moved out, so I'm familiar with a lot of things that used to be in the Valley, but are now gone. I myself, moved to the Valley in the late 80's, and have lived in Simi Valley since 2001. I could go on forever about the places on the Westside, where I grew up, that are long gone. In fact, on other internet sites, such as Yelp, I have. However, one place in the San Fernando Valley, that I'm surprised no one has mentioned yet(yes, I've actually read every post on this thread), are the Northridge Waterslides, a small waterslide park that used to be on Nordhoff, across from the Northridge Mall, next to where Malibu Grand Prix(also long gone), used to be. They were around from about 1979-1983, or '84, and I used to go there quite a few times with my sister, and a couple of times with my sister and my mom, and once, even on a field trip during summer school. It wasn't anything like Raging Waters, or Six Flags Hurricane Harbor, but it was a nice little place. I could go on forvever about other places, but I'll save that for another day. I'm just curious though, since it seems most people on this thread grew up in the Valley, if anyone else here remembers the Northridge Waterslides.

Old 02-17-2009, 11:11 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,936,349 times
Quote:

Other surviving restaurants of pre-WW2 L.A.: Philippe's (the oldest restaurant in L.A. founded in 1913), La Golondrina on Olvera Street
Phillippe's = 1908.

And don't forget Cielito Lindo on Olvera St... serving those delicious taquitos con guacamole since 1934.

Old 02-18-2009, 05:19 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,743,760 times
Quote:
Still there.

I believe it's only closed once in its entire history, when Pearl Harbor happened.
According to the Pantry pamphlet, they never closed their doors - even when they relocated many years ago. They relocated from one location to their present location and set up tables on the route (on the sidewalk?) and served while they were in the process of moving. It's been a few years since I've been there and read that pamphlet so my facts may be a little dorked up.

I don't think there is a lock on the door there.

Walk in there and it is like walking into the 1950s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California