U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2009, 06:34 PM

1,399 posts, read 2,150,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
wow, you were just a few years behind me: because I lived in Eagle Rock/Pasa area we didn't go to VN, but did frequent the rollar rink in Pasadenas as well as the one at Pick Wink in Glendale.

Nita
I was the guy at the Pickwick Drive-In that was acting stupid in an attempt to get your attention, but you just ignored me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2009, 07:40 PM

71,920 posts, read 83,581,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
I was the guy at the Pickwick Drive-In that was acting stupid in an attempt to get your attention, but you just ignored me.
Thats because you were a couple years younger than me and back in the 50s that was a no/no!!!!

Nita

Old 06-15-2009, 08:48 AM

1,399 posts, read 2,150,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Thats because you were a couple years younger than me and back in the 50s that was a no/no!!!!

Nita
Older women are the cat's meow.

Much of the dumb stuff we did then seemed cool at the time. For example, when admission to the Sepulveda Drive-In was $1.25, five of us would each chip in a quarter, and the one guy who was 16 and had a car would drive in while the rest of us entered through the fence in the back.

We wore black tophats, another gimmick to attract attention, and then puffed on cigarettes until the car was filled with smoke. We then piled out as if the car was on fire. We always drew a crowd, which included lots of GIRLS.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:24 AM

16,584 posts, read 33,758,448 times
Anyone here ever go to the Wichstand Drive-In on Slauson at Overhill? The menu pictured is from 1963.

Old 06-15-2009, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Older women are the cat's meow.

Much of the dumb stuff we did then seemed cool at the time. For example, when admission to the Sepulveda Drive-In was $1.25, five of us would each chip in a quarter, and the one guy who was 16 and had a car would drive in while the rest of us entered through the fence in the back.

We wore black tophats, another gimmick to attract attention, and then puffed on cigarettes until the car was filled with smoke. We then piled out as if the car was on fire. We always drew a crowd, which included lots of GIRLS.
yep, those were the days:: you probably also stole red lanterns and put them on some of the girls front lawns? How many years did we try to get into the movies as under 12 because it was so much cheaper? That was the only time we wanted to appear younger than our age...I remember passing my typing test cause my best friend was really a good typist and the typing teacher, who was an old guy, probably about to retire, liked her so he let her give me the test before school. Amazing, I suddenly could type 50 WPM with only 1 error. Well, it got me a job the summer after high school.

I guess we can all remember things we did, some I would rather not mention. though drinking wasn't nearly as common than as now, yes, especially our senior year when we went to the beach for spring break (then called Easter vacation) we learned how many beers were too many. I can also remember when mom couldn't figure out how her cigarettes would disappear as she never dreamed I would smoke...

Nita

Old 06-15-2009, 11:00 AM

26,346 posts, read 82,977,020 times
Quote:
What are you talking about? I still do that.

When I turned 21 I had braces on my teeth and I looked really young. Dodger Stadium had helmet weekend for kids 14 and under. I walked in and asked for my helmet. The lady looked at me and was pretty sure I was over 14 so she tricked me and asked "Are you 15?", hoping I'd fall for it and say "yes", but then I said "No, I'm 14". She'd grudgingly handed me a helmet. I'd then proceed over to the beer line and buy four tall cold frosty cylinders of pleasure and walk back over to her with my beers in my hand and thank her again for the helmet.

"You punk."

(image not protected by copyright)

Old 06-15-2009, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
When I turned 21 I had braces on my teeth and I looked really young.

When I was in 7th grade I was shaving everyday, and by the time I was 16 I was the designated booze buyer for the crowd I hung out with.

Vive la différence...

Old 06-15-2009, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Anyone here ever go to the Wichstand Drive-In on Slauson at Overhill? The menu pictured is from 1963.

wow, I used to collect old menus, but when we moved from Dallas and our moving van got stolen so did all my menus. One of my favorites was from the Sahara in Las Vegas, the dinner show in the mid 50s: the basic dinner including the show was $5.15. but they had more gourmet meals for $5.75. Drinks started at .75. My parents brought the menu back after they went to one of the shows.

In the 50s we would go to the drug store in Glendale (I think it was Woolworths, but maybe Newberries) and get a grill cheese sandwhich, order of fries and cokes for two. We still had a dime left out of the $ for a tip. The sandwhiches were .20, cokes a nickel and fries .20c.

Now for how old young we looked, Fontucky you were closer to my husband, I think he was in the 8th grade, as for me, I got carded when buying cigarettes at 26 and pregnant plus had a 2 year old with me. I also got carded the same year when I went to collect a bet I had won at Santa Anita Race track. They let me bet, but were not about to give me my money unless I could prove I was over 21.
Nita

Old 06-15-2009, 12:28 PM

I'm a swarthy, hairy beast and have been since age 12. My knuckles drag. That always makes one look older.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:52 PM

9,321 posts, read 16,575,490 times
We left Northridge in 1962 to Ontario. I remember the miles and miles of orange groves and walking over to Euclid ave to go to the moves for a nickle. Thrifty ice cream after. We could walk just about anywhere without fear of gangs or other crimes. Last time I stayed in Ontario it looked just like L.A.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California