U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-17-2009, 06:51 PM

26,365 posts, read 51,746,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
I read about one game that had to be stopped at Gilmore Field due to Stars fans throwing bottles at Angels players when the Angels were winning.
This happened at high school level too. In 1976 we beat Mary Star of the Sea in San Pedro in football. When we left the stadium our bus got pounded by rocks and bottles. My buddy Rick, sitting right next to me against the window, got a piece of glass in his eye and we had to go to Torrance Hospital getting home back in Canoga Park around 2AM.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 07:19 PM

47,354 posts, read 37,345,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
This happened at high school level too. In 1976 we beat Mary Star of the Sea in San Pedro in football. When we left the stadium our bus got pounded by rocks and bottles. My buddy Rick, sitting right next to me against the window, got a piece of glass in his eye and we had to go to Torrance Hospital getting home back in Canoga Park around 2AM.
wow, that is something to remember, but I still don't think it was as common as what we see today.

Nita

Old 06-17-2009, 08:05 PM

30 posts, read 70,424 times
I think what I'm also trying to say is that it seems like people have become a lot more uncivilized in general, especially sports fans, and I guess, not only here in LA, but in other parts of the country as well. For example, I grew up in West LA in the 70's, and 80's. I went to University High School in West LA(class of '85), and then on to Santa Monica College. Even though I grew up in LA, I grew up a huge Celtics fan(the Lakers bitter rival in the 80's), and I'm still a big Celtics fan today. My parents are from Boston, so my dad brainwashed me to be a Red Sox, and Celtics fan. Back in the 80's, I wore my Celtics gear all over LA, to school, on the public buses(the RTD it was called back then, and the Santa Monica Blue Bus), all of the sports venues, and concert venues around LA, and really, just about everywhere. Even though Lakers fans HATED the Celtics, I never had any problem with them at school, or anywhere else around LA. Lakers fans were totally cool with me, and never, ever, even threatened me anywhere. Nowadays, if I were to wear my Celtics gear to public high school, or on the public buses in LA, I would probably be taking my life in my hands. Even at a lot of sportsbars in the LA area, during Laker games, and other sporting events, I've seen numerous fights, and obnoxious, and unruly behavior, and a lot of this unruly behavior I've witnessed has been at so-called "high class" establishments. People around LA, and not just during this recession either, but even over the last decade, and I'm mainly talking about the sports fans here, have become very uncivilized, whereas LA sports fans used to be very passive.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Sometime in the mid 1970s Dodger Stadium quit selling beer in the bleachers due to the rowdiness. One story I heard is fans out there would get so drunk they'd take the batteries out of their radios and throw them at Pete Rose of the Reds.

I couldn't find it but about 20 years ago someone wrote a letter to the LA Times outlining the beer prices at Dodger Stadium. I think it started out at $0.65 for a 20 oz beer in something like 1977 and every year after that the prices got higher and the cups got smaller.

The only time I've ever been slightly nervous attending a sporting event in LA (from something other than getting busted by security myself), is going to Raider games in the early-mid 1980s. In broad daylight with four of my buds, after we'd been slamming beers since 9AM, with LAPD all over the place, it seemed like a dangerous place. I remember watching these dudes, maybe five of them, passing around a one gallon jug of wine. How they got that in there I'll never know.
Charles, I do remember the Dodger-Reds game that you're talking about. I think it was actually in 1974, or 1975. I wasn't following sports yet, but I read about that incident with the fans throwing batteries at Pete Rose. However, incidents like that at Dodger Stadium were pretty rare back in the 70's. For the most part, it was a great place to watch a game, whereas now, there's fights, and unruly fan behavior there, especially in the bleachers, and top 2 decks, at almost every game. However, Angel Stadium is still a great place to watch a game. Beautiful stadium, very civilized, and well-behaved fans, and a great place to take your family. Angel Stadium now, is what Dodger Stadium used to be like many years ago.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
That stuff in the '70s only occurred on a regular basis in Detroit and Great Britain, both of which were depressed with high unemployment...

Now that L.A.'s depressed with high unemployment, the same stuff happens in L.A. on a more regular basis.

I wasn't alive in the '50s but I've read about a few isolated incidents back then in L.A. - apparently there were a couple of mini-riots at Angels/Stars games at the time. I read about one game that had to be stopped at Gilmore Field due to Stars fans throwing bottles at Angels players when the Angels were winning.

Wow! I find that hard to believe that hard to believe that something like that occured at a minor league sporting event in the 50's. Weren't they both LA teams also? At least it was an LA team winning, and beating the other LA team.

Last edited by "Bronco Mike"; 06-17-2009 at 08:25 PM..

Old 06-17-2009, 08:21 PM

26,365 posts, read 51,746,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Bronco Mike" View Post
Charles, I do remember the Dodger-Reds game that you're talking about. I think it was actually in 1974, or 1975. I wasn't following sports yet, but I read about that incident with the fans throwing batteries at Pete Rose. However, incidents like that at Dodger Stadium were pretty rare back in the 70's. For the most part, it was a great place to watch a game, whereas now, there's fights, and unruly fan behavior there, especially in the bleachers, and top 2 decks, at almost every game. However, Angel Stadium is still a great place to watch a game. Beautiful stadium, very civilized, and well-behaved fans, and a great place to take your family. Angel Stadium now, is what Dodger Stadium used to be like many years ago.
I may be a little skewed as I mostly went to Sunday afternoon games which are probably more well behaved as it is not late and more families might attend.

I pretty much always sat top deck as it was cheapest and the reserved section (second from the top) never had game day tickets anywhere other than near the foul poles - so I'd rather sit 50 feet higher, but right behind home plate.

Anaheim Stadium has got to be one of the cleanest venues in sports. It's spotless (at least it was in the 1980s).

But nowadays, the number one thing that keeps me from major league sports is the cost. It costs so much more now. That and the LA traffic. I was in LA last week and I wanted to go the Dodger game but I finally wimped out knowing I'd be stuck in traffic going there. Minor league ball is so much better: seats on the field for like $7, no traffic, etc.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:33 PM

Quote:
I may be a little skewed as I mostly went to Sunday afternoon games which are probably more well behaved as it is not late and more families might attend.

I pretty much always sat top deck as it was cheapest and the reserved section (second from the top) never had game day tickets anywhere other than near the foul poles - so I'd rather sit 50 feet higher, but right behind home plate.

Anaheim Stadium has got to be one of the cleanest venues in sports. It's spotless (at least it was in the 1980s).

But nowadays, the number one thing that keeps me from major league sports is the cost. It costs so much more now. That and the LA traffic. I was in LA last week and I wanted to go the Dodger game but I finally wimped out knowing I'd be stuck in traffic going there. Minor league ball is so much better: seats on the field for like $7, no traffic, etc.
Yeah, it's a shame that going to sporting events, at least major league sporting events, has become really expensive. I can remember in the early to mid 80's, when I was a teenager, field level tickets at Dodger Stadium, at least out by the foul pole, were only $6-$7, or maybe $8, and Angel Stadium(known as Anaheim Stadium back then), was actually always about $1-$2 cheaper for the same seats than Dodger Stadium. Now, parking at Angel Stadium is, I believe, $10, and, if I'm not mistaken, either $12, or $15 at Dodger Stadium. The funny thing is, MLB is still the most affordable of the 4 major sports(MLB, NFL, NBA, and NHL) to attend. Ticket prices for the other major sports are even higher. Sad.

Old 06-18-2009, 12:14 PM

7,778 posts, read 8,955,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Oh what memories...

How about Laughing Sal at Playland? She sounded ghoulish?? It's its at Playland...

Free ice cream cones for dogs at Polly Ann Ice Cream Shop on Noriega..and the owner invented lots of wacky flavors..I remember his rose petal one and many with heavy shots of rum or whiskey...

Our first apartment rented for $90/month in the Sunset; the second went for $140 on the Panhandle...and we could park right in front...

Buying our first house for $30,000 at 46th & Lawton...

The Good Earth Commune on Oak Street...the old Fillmore...zipping over to the Russian River on Sundays and having little traffic coming or going...being able to park just about in front of our favorite restaurant on Clement Street...

Alas, those perfect days have passed into the misty past and now we live in North Carolina...but we smile, remembering those long away perfect days, when San Francisco was our Eden and easy living was to be had...
It's interesting, Noriega, even during the early to mid 90s, still had some of its old school feel, I used to love walking over there. I can't recall the names, but there was a mom and pop American resto I used to get nice greasy breakfasts at, as well as an Irish pub nearby there, again, cannot recall the name.

That house you lived in at 46th and L is probably worth about 800K even post real estate melt down.

Old 06-18-2009, 12:35 PM

11,738 posts, read 12,326,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Bronco Mike" View Post
Wow! I find that hard to believe that hard to believe that something like that occured at a minor league sporting event in the 50's.
Drunken idiots didn't exist in the '50s?

The main reason why that sort of thing didn't happen MORE back then was because the economy was very prosperous,and California was probably the most prosperous place in the US with low unemployment.

Quote:
Weren't they both LA teams also?
Yes, both the Stars and Angels were L.A. teams.

Old 06-18-2009, 06:53 PM

Does anyone here remember a great Italian restaurant on Crenshaw Blvd called Rudy's, or Rudy's Italian Restaurant? It was around from the 50's(maybe even the 40's), until about 1974. I only vaguely remember it, since I was only 6, or 6 1/2 years old, when it closed down, but my parents say they had the best spaghetti and meatballs that they've ever had in their life. There was just someting about their meat sauce that they've never tasted anywhere else, and they were very sad when Rudy's closed. I'm curious if anyone here remebers Rudy's. Also, there was a great pizza stand on La Cienega Blvd, a few blocks south of Pico, back in the late 60's, until around the mid 70's, called Pizza Prince. Again, I only vaguely remember it, but my dad claims they had some of the best pizza that he's ever had in his life. Does anyone here remember Pizza Prince?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California