U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-19-2009, 04:34 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
71,920 posts, read 83,551,069 times
Reputation: 41736

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Bronco Mike" View Post
Yeah, it's a shame that going to sporting events, at least major league sporting events, has become really expensive. I can remember in the early to mid 80's, when I was a teenager, field level tickets at Dodger Stadium, at least out by the foul pole, were only $6-$7, or maybe $8, and Angel Stadium(known as Anaheim Stadium back then), was actually always about $1-$2 cheaper for the same seats than Dodger Stadium. Now, parking at Angel Stadium is, I believe, $10, and, if I'm not mistaken, either $12, or $15 at Dodger Stadium. The funny thing is, MLB is still the most affordable of the 4 major sports(MLB, NFL, NBA, and NHL) to attend. Ticket prices for the other major sports are even higher. Sad.
We went to a game in St Louis last summer: we sat in the cheapest of the cheapest seats and they were $15.00 I think, plus parking, which was $15. We didn't pay for parking, instead decided to use the rapid transit (not rapid) as we didn't know our way around. Hot dogs were $5.25, beer which we decided agianst $7.50 I think or something like that and a bottle of water $4.50. I wondered how families afford to go to games, but there sure were a lot of them there.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-21-2009, 12:21 PM
 
2 posts, read 6,280 times
Reputation: 10
Default remember when

brush your teeth with Pepsodent", Brill Creme, Speedy Alcaseltzer(sp?), Dr Ross dog food is doggone good, Pabtz Blue Ribbon Beer, Charley the Tuna, Sheriff John, Bozo the clown, Howdy Doody, Enginer Bill (playing red light green light with our milk), Captain Kangaroo, watching Amos and Andy, Life of Riley, Sky King, Roy Rodger, Hopalong Cassidy, Gene Autry, Cecil the seasick sea serpent, Peter Rabbit and Rags the Tiger, Felix the Cat, Popeye ( Tom Hatten),
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2009, 01:33 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
71,920 posts, read 83,551,069 times
Reputation: 41736
Quote:
Originally Posted by johshelia View Post
brush your teeth with Pepsodent", Brill Creme, Speedy Alcaseltzer(sp?), Dr Ross dog food is doggone good, Pabtz Blue Ribbon Beer, Charley the Tuna, Sheriff John, Bozo the clown, Howdy Doody, Enginer Bill (playing red light green light with our milk), Captain Kangaroo, watching Amos and Andy, Life of Riley, Sky King, Roy Rodger, Hopalong Cassidy, Gene Autry, Cecil the seasick sea serpent, Peter Rabbit and Rags the Tiger, Felix the Cat, Popeye ( Tom Hatten),
Yep, Dr Ross dogfood is doggone good plus the rest. How about I'd walk a mile for a mild, mild camel? and of course Cecil!!!!

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2009, 02:24 PM
 
Location: Orange County, CA
3,730 posts, read 5,276,675 times
Reputation: 4188
Default Remember When.

Flip flops were called shower shoes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2009, 02:27 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
71,920 posts, read 83,551,069 times
Reputation: 41736
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
Flip flops were called shower shoes?
Actually my husband, then boyfriend called them Jesus slippers.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2009, 03:49 PM
 
2 posts, read 6,280 times
Reputation: 10
does anyone remember Carbon Canyon circa late 1960's There was an area that gave off a greenish light and it was supposed to be haunted or UFO-ish>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2009, 03:52 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
71,920 posts, read 83,551,069 times
Reputation: 41736
Quote:
Originally Posted by johshelia View Post
does anyone remember Carbon Canyon circa late 1960's There was an area that gave off a greenish light and it was supposed to be haunted or UFO-ish>
don't remember that one.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2009, 08:33 PM
 
Location: Texas
14,078 posts, read 17,652,720 times
Reputation: 7720
Who remembers panning for gold at Knotts Berry Farm, back when they didn't have a single, solitary roller coaster?

How many recall the town of Dairy Valley, which was a long string of family-owned dairy farms along Artesia Blvd east of Bellflower? The whole town doesn't even exist anymore!

Who remembers the Goodyear Blimp base in Torrance?

Or, the Del Amo shopping center with it's fake stars on the ceiling?

How about the cloud of dirt-brown air hanging over Signal Hill in the afternoon? Or the smell of rotten fruit which permeated the whole basin back before enviornmentalism became the rage? This is no lie, but back in 1967, I lived in Gardena and worked up on Slauson and I had been there a MONTH before I ever saw the San Gabriel Mountains because of the smog. You younger folks need to count your blessings and thank the enviornmentalists.

Who recalls when the freeway names were what people referred to, not their numbers: The Long Beach Freeway, Harbor Freeway, Santa Monica, Pasadena, Hollywood, Pomona, Santa Ana, San Bernardino, Van Nuys, San Diego? The only one commonly referred to by it's number was "the 605," and it wasn't finished.

Who remembers the amusement park on the beach in downtown Long Beach, when there were no cleverly disguised oil rigs or Queen Mary's in the bay? Or, when the Navy Base had one ship open to the public every Sunday? Or Naval shore patrols?

How about the drawbridges going onto Terminal Island?

Do you remember when the oil refinery in Dominguez Hills sat way, way out in a field all by itself?

Or, the oil pump rigs at the corner of Artesia and Avalon which had eyes painted on them and antenna's protruding from their "foreheads?"

Does the name "Chavez Ravine" ring a bell with anyone?

Did you drive Rt-91 between Riverside and Santa Ana when it was a two-lane highway which wound around the hills? Or Interstates 15E and 15W, neither of which went very far from San Bernardino?

Do you recall when Orange County actually had ORANGES in it?

Does anyone remember WHY Imperial Highway is called that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2009, 08:34 PM
 
Location: Texas
14,078 posts, read 17,652,720 times
Reputation: 7720
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Actually my husband, then boyfriend called them Jesus slippers.

Nita

You're telling your age with that!

Groovy!

(We called the "Jesus Stompers")
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2009, 09:05 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
71,920 posts, read 83,551,069 times
Reputation: 41736
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Who remembers panning for gold at Knotts Berry Farm, back when they didn't have a single, solitary roller coaster?

How many recall the town of Dairy Valley, which was a long string of family-owned dairy farms along Artesia Blvd east of Bellflower? The whole town doesn't even exist anymore!

Who remembers the Goodyear Blimp base in Torrance?

Or, the Del Amo shopping center with it's fake stars on the ceiling?

How about the cloud of dirt-brown air hanging over Signal Hill in the afternoon? Or the smell of rotten fruit which permeated the whole basin back before enviornmentalism became the rage? This is no lie, but back in 1967, I lived in Gardena and worked up on Slauson and I had been there a MONTH before I ever saw the San Gabriel Mountains because of the smog. You younger folks need to count your blessings and thank the enviornmentalists.

Who recalls when the freeway names were what people referred to, not their numbers: The Long Beach Freeway, Harbor Freeway, Santa Monica, Pasadena, Hollywood, Pomona, Santa Ana, San Bernardino, Van Nuys, San Diego? The only one commonly referred to by it's number was "the 605," and it wasn't finished.

Who remembers the amusement park on the beach in downtown Long Beach, when there were no cleverly disguised oil rigs or Queen Mary's in the bay? Or, when the Navy Base had one ship open to the public every Sunday? Or Naval shore patrols?

How about the drawbridges going onto Terminal Island?

Do you remember when the oil refinery in Dominguez Hills sat way, way out in a field all by itself?

Or, the oil pump rigs at the corner of Artesia and Avalon which had eyes painted on them and antenna's protruding from their "foreheads?"

Does the name "Chavez Ravine" ring a bell with anyone?

Did you drive Rt-91 between Riverside and Santa Ana when it was a two-lane highway which wound around the hills? Or Interstates 15E and 15W, neither of which went very far from San Bernardino?

Do you recall when Orange County actually had ORANGES in it?





Does anyone remember WHY Imperial Highway is called that?
I remember most of it: I still call the freeways by their names when we visit, the TV has been showing the Dodgers all week and calling the park, Chevez Ravine. The Amusement Park was a favorite of ours after going to the beach and baking in the sun for 3 or 4 hours, if it wasn't Long Beach it was Santa Monica, and yes, Knotts Berry farm with no real rides other than the train and a few things like that, Fried Chicken dinner for about $1.75 I think, complete with berry pie.

We lived in Gardena in the early to mid 60s, smog was awful even in the mid 50s believe it or not.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top