U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2009, 01:35 AM

15,087 posts, read 17,554,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
So far as I know, it was the first controlled access freeway in America.

I haven't driven it in years, but most the off ramps used to be very tight turns and there were no acceleration lanes. Is it still like that?

ps: I haven't driven it in awhile because I drove a big truck all my adult life and trucks are not allowed on it...they won't fit through the tunnels, much like the Parkway's in New York!
Yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2009, 05:53 AM

71,920 posts, read 83,551,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
Speedway it was.As a boy,I lived right next to the Speedway for five years.My home was on Bridewell St.,in the San Pasqual Valley district of Highland Park.Bridewell paralleled the speedway on the west side for a few blocks.Have not been back to visit the area for a very long time.Not sure I want too,the changes would not be pleasant,I fear.There was a recent thread on Highland Park,and based on posts there,it may be best to stay away forever.
you are telling your age, I remember when it was the speedway and yes, I was a little girl. By the time I was in my teens it was the Parkway or Pasa freeway. I was raised in Eagle Rock. We get back to So Ca every year or so. Yes, it has changed. We are trying to decide right now if we want to fly to California for my husbands class reunion in Covina. (actually Glendora) It has changed, not all for the good in my opinion, but there are still things I miss. I love Philipis (spelling) for french dips.

Nita

Old 07-25-2009, 10:30 AM

15,754 posts, read 14,989,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
By the time I was in my teens it was the Pasa freeway.
I think it was called that when I learned to drive. Our Driver's Ed teacher took us there after we learned to maneuver the streets. Those hairpin turns....what a way to learn! He was a brave man to be in the car with a bunch of 15-year olds. This was back when Calif schools mandated health ed/driver's ed as a required one-semester elective, which was eliminated many years ago due to budget cuts.

Quote:
We get back to So Ca every year or so. Yes, it has changed. We are trying to decide right now if we want to fly to California for my husbands class reunion. It has changed, not all for the good in my opinion, but there are still things I miss.
Lots has changed, but you should try to go to your husband's reunion! It'll be worth it to see everyone. At least you'll be able to drive east on the 210 fwy beyond Pasadena instead of taking side streets, as had to be done prior to 1972, before that freeway was extended.

Old 07-27-2009, 02:21 PM

2 posts, read 7,764 times
Default The Renaissance Faire when it was still at the Paramount Ranch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miracle_Max View Post
Wow, what a strange day. I had a dream last night about a theme park that was located on Chalk Hill -- Ventura Blvd. just east of DeSoto -- where the old Gemco used to be. I then spent the day cleaning out some old files, and discovered a couple of KMET stickers, which I then Googled, and wound up here.

I have one of the KMET bumper stickers pictured earlier, as well as one of the Rolling-Stone style tongue stickers.

Speaking of KMET, does anyone remember the fish report (with a beat)? There is a Pink Floyd song that has a bit of it playing in the background.

The Farrell's in Woodland Hills was on Canoga Ave. right next to the freeway on-ramp.

We still get them in San Diego, but it's been Worthington Dodge for years now.

Dial, Dial, Dial Chevrolet, two block off the Santa Ana Freeway, 1-1-9-8-0 East Firestone, Dial Chevrolet!

I used to go there all the time in the late '70s and into the '80s. I spent a lot of time in The Fantasy Castle too, when it was still in Woodland Hills. I saw Jamie Farr from M*A*S*H in there once too.

My grandfather used to come over to our house every week to watch him too. I thought he was from the mid-west though, Iowa or Minnesota or some such?

Anyone remember Red Skelton?

1/2 of a 6-oz. can of frozen, concentrated orange juice.
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
5 or 6 ice cubes

Dump in a blender and blend about 30 seconds

That's the recipe I have, although I don't think it is the original. I seem to remember the original had powdered egg whites in it.

He was on into the early 60s. Sheriff John, Hobo Kelley, Billy Barty, Captain Kangaroo, and Romper Room. Sesame Street came later, but PBS was a UHF channel, and our television couldn't get those channels.

Woodland Hills was Diamond as well. We were Diamond 7-3538.

I remember him. We used to wave at him every time we drove past him.

We always went to the Panorama City mall to sit on Santa's lap and get our picture taken.

Anybody remember Candy Cane Lane?

So are the air-raid sirens totally gone now? I remember hearing them one morning about ten or twelve years ago, when I was still living in Calabasas. When I heard them, I looked at the clock, and sure enough, it was Friday morning at 10:00 AM!

Chicken Delight with their take-out orders between two paper plates that were stapled together.

The Renaissance Faire when it was still at the Paramount Ranch?

Dirt Mulholland?

Buying corn from the farms along Topanga Canyon (where the mall is now)?

Anybody remember the water sculpture thingy in the Topanga Plaza right next to the ice-skating rink? They were like circles of fishing line strug from the ceiling to the floor that water dripped down? I used to love that.

How about the Planet of the Apes set, or the M*A*S*H set at Malibu Creek State Park? We always used to go night-hiking in the park, but had to sneak through the M*A*S*H set, so the studio guard wouldn't catch us.

Good times.
Can you tell me whatever happened to the Renaissance Faire?? It's been driving me crazy. Relocated 2 hours from valley in '78 and for some reason it's bugging me.

Old 07-27-2009, 02:28 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,126,238 times
Hoo-yah! Too hip, gotta go!

:-)

Old 07-27-2009, 05:06 PM

26,346 posts, read 82,960,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notsoyoung View Post
Can you tell me whatever happened to the Renaissance Faire?? It's been driving me crazy. Relocated 2 hours from valley in '78 and for some reason it's bugging me.
Faires & Festivals

Old 07-28-2009, 07:25 AM

15,754 posts, read 14,989,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notsoyoung View Post
Can you tell me whatever happened to the Renaissance Faire?? It's been driving me crazy. Relocated 2 hours from valley in '78...
It's now in Irwindale from about mid-April to June, having spent a few years in Devore. I remember when it was out in the SF Valley, eons ago.
No matter where they stage it, it's always a fun event to visit.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:41 AM

16,584 posts, read 33,749,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I love Philipis (spelling) for french dips.
Here ya go, Nita. A trip down memory lane.

Old 07-28-2009, 12:49 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,126,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Here ya go, Nita. A trip down memory lane.
Still in business? (he asked anxiously ... thinking about the other thread he started on the LA forum where he found out that his beloved Russell's was kaput ...)

Old 07-28-2009, 04:52 PM

16,584 posts, read 33,749,245 times
Still in business after 101 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California