U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2009, 03:49 PM

72,027 posts, read 83,688,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Good Lord yes! 10 years before!
you still are a baby. I could have been your baby sitter!!! LOL

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 07:28 PM

14,078 posts, read 17,674,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
you still are a baby. I could have been your baby sitter!!! LOL

Nita
Too bad you weren't!

Old 08-01-2009, 12:46 PM

17,446 posts, read 23,968,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I agree but remember PE has been gone for over a half century. I don't know how good the others were at that time.

Nita
The Paris Metro in the 1920s was already the world's most extensive system. Le Metropolitaine had the exact coverage in the 1930s that it does today.

Old 08-02-2009, 01:22 PM

3,730 posts, read 5,283,439 times
Default Bobs returns to Orange County

Bobs,home of the Big Boy,is returning to Orange County,with the first location opening next weekend in Orange,at Katella and Main.This is an institution that really brings back old memories.As a former Glendale resident for many years,a visit to Bobs at least once a week was almost a must during high school days,and visits continued during Navy service and into young adulthood.The prefered location was the drive in on East Colorado,with an occasional trip to the one in Toluca Lake,or to "Little Bobs",the sit down only place at Broadway and Maryland.

Old 08-02-2009, 04:24 PM

26,346 posts, read 83,036,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
Bobs,home of the Big Boy,is returning to Orange County,with the first location opening next weekend in Orange,at Katella and Main.This is an institution that really brings back old memories.As a former Glendale resident for many years,a visit to Bobs at least once a week was almost a must during high school days,and visits continued during Navy service and into young adulthood.The prefered location was the drive in on East Colorado,with an occasional trip to the one in Toluca Lake,or to "Little Bobs",the sit down only place at Broadway and Maryland.
Somewhat related, Farrells Ice Cream is coming to Mission Viejo

Farrell’s Ice Cream Parlour coming this fall to The Shops at Mission Viejo « The Official News Blog of the City of Mission Viejo

Old 08-05-2009, 06:55 PM

1 posts, read 2,167 times
Tonys is on magnolia near victory ,it is still there

Old 08-09-2009, 06:01 PM

10,137 posts, read 12,395,557 times
I was living with my aunt and uncle in Anaheim in the 50's and I remember watching the steel framing of the mattahorn being erected.

That dates me.

But then I remember when Palo Alto, Mountain View, Sunnyvale, Santa Clara and San Jose were distinct, separate towns with orchards on both sides of El Camino as you drove from one to another.

I remember Candlestick Park being built.

I remember driving from San Francisco to San Jose on the Bayshore Freeway and all the land east of the bayshore, between the highway and the water, was empty marsh or pasture land with the exception of East Palo Alto and Moffat Naval Air Station.

Milpitas??? Hahahaha, nobody would EVER live there. We lived in Santa Clara and that was far enough out in the sticks for us.

And this was big. I remember playing in the construction of the water pipe put in between the Hetch Hetchy dam near Yosemite to feed Crystal Lake. Near where we lived it wasn't really a pipe so much as a series of huge fabricated concrete squares put end to end with large square concrete stations every few miles or so. We'd go down and "explore" until we got chased out. Oh the freedom then of being 12 years old with a bicycle with balloon tires!

Who remembers "The Mystery Spot" and "Santa's Village" on 17 between San Jose and Santa Cruz?

And now there is this one... if you remember this then you are like me... older than dirt. Who remembers the roadside farmers stand where they had sold several kinds of apple juice (along with other things but I remember the apple juice) on 92 between San Mateo and Half Moon Bay? It was about here somewhere.

I must admit, growing up in the bay area in the 50's was heaven.

Old 08-09-2009, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post

I remember Candlestick Park being built.
Candlestick was the second oldest active National League ballpark in the 1980s. Wrigley was the oldest (obviously). Now Dodger Stadium is the second oldest.

Old 08-09-2009, 06:12 PM

10,137 posts, read 12,395,557 times
And finally.

I am 60 years old and a rarity.... I am a fifth generation Californian on one extension and both my parents were born there in the 20's. Family has been there a long, long time.

But my my mothers side of the family came from South Dakota (Rapid City Area) right after the first world war and every year we would go back to South Dakota from the bay area. Driving. Before the Interstates.

We'd go back to see my great grandma who was supposed to have been born in South Dakota but was born in Minnesota because of the damn hostile indians. The medicine shirts and Wounded Knee thing. Oh she was funny and not very politically correct. Nothing ever good to say about indians but she died when she was 105.

Took two overnight stops and except for sleeping it was driving.

Old 08-09-2009, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
we would go back to South Dakota from the bay area. Driving. Before the Interstates.
That's pretty interesting.

At least you had DVD players, laptops with movies and high speed internet from satellites to pass the time.

Here's that route on google maps with the "avoid highways" feature enabled:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California