U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-10-2009, 03:02 PM

193 posts, read 338,994 times
Newbie here. Great thread. You folks haven't missed much. It took me 3 days on and off to read this thread beginning to end.

I didn't see any reference to the Hamburger Hamlet in Westwood. All the servers were African American, the bus boys being males and the wait staff mostly female. The service was excellent even if it was a little stiff.

There were other HH's, but none like the one in Westwood. I think it's a Jerry's now. All the old dark paneling was torn out. Shame.

We could drive to WW to see a movie premier in just over 30 minutes. Try that now any time but 3 in the morning.

I was born in Long Beach at the end of WWII and I'm still here. Way early in the thread, someone mentioned The Hot Dog Show. We had one of those on Broadway. Always great to stop there on the way home from the beach. Yeah, the water was once blue here.

Anyone want any nostalgic answers about Long Beach, I probably have them. I'll dig out some fun stuff as we go along. I think I have quite a few things not mentioned yet here.

Oh, and one other post tickled me, the one about Pandora's Box on Sunset. I, too, saw Preston Epps there doing his one hit wonder, "Bongo Rock."

Back with more soon.

Last edited by ehcsrop; 08-10-2009 at 04:05 PM.. Reason: punctuation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 03:45 PM

6,114 posts, read 5,329,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
That older highway was US-40.
I remember in the 50's my uncle was an avid outdoorsman who lived in Reno. My mom drove me up to the San Francisco airport where I boarded a four engine propoeller driven airplane, it may have been a DC-7 but I am not sure, and sure enough when the engines were started there was the guy with the fire extinguisher.

I was headed to Reno where I would spend a couple days with my uncle before we all headed to Vernal, Utah where we would spend four or five days white water rafting down the Green River in what is now Dinosaur National Park.

If you ever get the chance just do it.

Anyway five of us load into a big four door station wagon with real wood trim and off we go on US 40 towards Salt Lake City. This was before air bags and seat belts. The car didn't have seat belts.

Anyway I remember my cousin and I in the back watch the speedometer.... 90.... 100.... 110... 120... we cruised along US 40 atbetween 110 and 120 mph. Nevada did not have speed limits outside of towns.

And who can forget the "Desert Bag"? It was a square canvas bag holding two or three gallons of water you would tie to your front bumper. This was emergency drinking water and water for the car should the radiator boil over. They were standard on cars, going across the desert everyone had one.

Thirty five years later my 16 year old daughter and I made the same white water rafting trip together. It was just a dad and daughter trip and it was great, she got to see the same things I saw and I remembered so much.

Yeah, my daughter... she was just like another son to me.

Old 08-10-2009, 04:18 PM

48,441 posts, read 39,541,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehcsrop View Post
Newbie here. Great thread. You folks haven't missed much. It took me 3 days on and off to read this thread beginning to end.

I didn't see any reference to the Hamburger Hamlet in Westwood. All the servers were African American, the bus boys being males and the wait staff mostly female. The service was excellent even if it was a little stiff.

There were other HH's, but none like the one in Westwood. I think it's a Jerry's now. All the old dark paneling was torn out. Shame.

We could drive to WW to see a movie premier in just over 30 minutes. Try that now any time but 3 in the morning.

I was born in Long Beach at the end of WWII and I'm still here. Way early in the thread, someone mentioned The Hot Dog Show. We had one of those on Broadway. Always great to stop there on the way home from the beach. Yeah, the water was once blue here.

Anyone want any nostalgic answers about Long Beach, I probably have them. I'll dig out some fun stuff as we go along. I think I have quite a few things not mentioned yet here.

Oh, and one other post tickled me, the one about Pandora's Box on Sunset. I, too, saw Preston Epps there doing his one hit wonder, "Bongo Rock."

Back with more soon.
Hamburger Hamlet? I think there was more than one, but I don't know where they were. The name rings a bell and I didn't spend much time around Westwood.

Nita

Old 08-10-2009, 09:04 PM

12 posts, read 14,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
Helms Bakery trucks. Wow, growing up in Northridge during the 50's we had one come down our street all the time. I think those were the very best chocolate doughnuts ever. Anyone remember the giant donut somewhere downtown. I can't remember the city, just remember the big giant donut. I think that Van Nuys decorated their downtown to the hilt at Christmas too. The Pantry in L.A had the best hamburgers. My dad was a L.A police officer and we used to eat there all the time. Wish we could turn the clocks back.
LOL...those chocolate donuts were my favorite! Just as memorable were those highly polished wooden drawers, it was part of the treat for me.

I remember too, the blue and yellow sign with the "H" on it to be placed in the window to alert the driver to stop ...and blow that unique horn.

Also remember P.O.P. ~ Pacific Ocean Park, Happy Jack's Fishing Farm, the "real" dairies that actually had cows and the strawberry fields along the highways. I do miss it terribly.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidget View Post
Oh, I love the picture of the KMET bumper sticker. "A little bit of heaven,
94.7, KMET Weedledee..." Ace Young, Paraquat Kelly. KLOS held a memorial the day KMET abruptly went off the air. Can't remember the station that replace KMET...KLOS referred to it as a "rinse and spit" station. When I was really little the big rock stations were KFWB and KRLA.

The old phone number prefixes...instead of saying 846-1898 my parents would say TH6-1898 or Thornwall6-1898. I think Glendale was "Citrus" and Canoga Park was "Diamond." Hollywood might have actually been "Hollywood" with "HO" for short.

And the Santa Claus who lived for years on a store rooftop in Carpenteria along the 101? He now resides incongruously in Oxnard along the freeway. Weird.

Which reminds me of Santa's Village near Arrowhead.
I remember those radio stations from the mid/late 60's. I believe one of them, maybe KLOS?, was run from the basement of a church in Pasadena, or at least that was the rumor at the time.

I remember too those old alpha prefixes for phone numbers...ours was ED, short for Edgewood.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Cormier Chevrolet.
Ralph Williams Ford (or Dodge?)
And of course, Cal Worthington Dodge then Ford.

From that era:

Dick Lane and wrestling and roller derby on channel 13.
K-Tel records
Roman Gabriel (Los Angeles Rams)
Mr. Wishbone and the bad habit rabbit.
Hobo Kelly
Sheriff John and "Put another candle on my birthday cake..."
Wilt, Elgin, and Jerry, and of course Chick
Bozo
Billy Barty
Willie Davis #3, "Three Dog" (LA Dodgers)
Oh...my parents watched roller derby when I was a kid!

I remember Engineer Bill too....red light, green light...with a glass of milk.

The guy who announced the Popeye cartoons, I think it was Tom Hatton? I saw him a few years back and he looked pretty good!

Old 08-10-2009, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImRandy View Post
I was going through this thread again from the beginning and these two struck a chord in me. I remember the first day of junior high we were all broken up into these orientation groups and one of the stops we made was the principals office. He gave a big speech about what he does and how he was in charge. Then he pulled this paddle off the wall that to me at the time seemed about the size of an oar. Thankfully that was the first and last time I ever saw it.

Marineland on the other hand I loved at first sight. That is until a dolphin bit me. They had a couple in a tank and you could pet them as they swam by. Well, I put my hand out and this dolphin swims by and gives it a big chomp. I can laugh about it now but it was a scary experience at the time. It wasn't long after that incident that dolphins became really cool. Girls had dolphin stickers on their books and clothes and whatnot. I kept telling them they are bloodthirsty creatures but nobody would believe me.
Hilarious post! Thanks for the laughs.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
The sandwich shop in Mission Hills is Matt & Tony's. This is probably the one you were thinking of. I know it's been there many years, and has been a popular spot for as long as I can remember. It was on Sepulveda, just south of the 118 freeway (or north of Chatsworth St. if you were there before the freeway was), and is still there to the best of my knowledge. On the other side of the freeway to the north, and on the other side of Sepulveda is the Bear Pit. It has also been there for as long as I can remember.

Something else I was reminded of the other day...
Fotomat booths!
Does anyone else remember these little booths sitting by the side of the road in many areas? They were a drive up film developing company, but they seem to have disappeared about the time the one hour photo places showed up. For that matter, does anyone even remember developing film? LOL!
I was one of those Fotomat girls in the mid 70s. It was a fun job (I love photography) but very boring. There were times I would have nothing to do so I would look at photos that were pending pickup. I was shocked to see some of the things people photographed and Fotomat developed just about anything! I was robbed at gunpoint, well technically it was *something* in the coat pocket ~ point. Very scary, those places got robbed all the time. My reward was working at a new store in a safer area.

Old 08-11-2009, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
No mention of old drunk actors in a CA nostalgia thread?

I saw Dean Martin passed out at Matteo's (venerable Italian restaurant in Westwood popular with mob types and Rat Packers, still around) with his head slumped down in his plate of spaghetti.

The San Fernando Valleyites here might have some stories about the Sportsmen's Lodge - L.A. CityBeat had a piece a couple weeks back about that Valley landmark mentioning an aging Michael Parks and an even more aging Robert Mitchum causing a stir there. Of course any story about Mitchum drinking is going to be entertaining. There was an elderly gentleman I met once who owned a bar on the Sunset Strip in the '50s who had quite a few Mitchum stories.
I remember after leaving Yamashiro in Hollywood about five or so years ago, seeing Michael Parks driving by a beat up old car. I was pretty surprised at how he had aged. The screen seems to freeze people in time.
Oh, I would love to hear some of those old Mitchum stories, he was one of my favorite actors of all time. They just don't make 'em like they used to.

Old 08-11-2009, 04:15 AM

14,023 posts, read 9,343,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredforlife View Post
I remember after leaving Yamashiro in Hollywood about five or so years ago, seeing Michael Parks driving by a beat up old car. I was pretty surprised at how he had aged. The screen seems to freeze people in time.
Oh, I would love to hear some of those old Mitchum stories, he was one of my favorite actors of all time. They just don't make 'em like they used to.

This is a little off topic, but I must repeat a story I heard Maureen O'Hara tell on TV one time.

She revealed that she was driving John Wayne home from a party one night, about 2 AM, and they were both drunk. The Duke kept insisting he needed another drink, but they didn't have anything.

Suddenly, he shouted, "Stop! Stop!" so she did. Wayne jumped out of the car, ran up to the front door of a nearby house and started banging on the door. When an older couple answered, he asked if they had anything in the house to drink and could he have some.

O'Hara says that sat and visited with this couple for an hour or so and had a few more drinks. She assumed all along that they were friends of the Duke, but it turned out that wasn't so. They were total strangers and he just picked their house at random.

So....what would YOU do if a drunk John Wayne and tilted Maureen O'Hara came to YOUR door in the middle of the night asking for something to drink?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California