U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2009, 09:00 PM

3,040 posts, read 10,447,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsoyoung View Post
Holly Smolly! I live in Bakersfield and I didn't know that! We had one but it turned into a Carrow's about 2 blocks from the other Carrow's. Go figure.
Was that the Oak St. location, just south of California? If so, I remember that as being one of the last few remaining locations years ago, but eventually, it, too, gave way to the Carrow's/Coco's transition. Only a couple others remained after that, and as far as I know, they stayed that way (but none were in Bakersfield).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 11:41 PM

42 posts, read 147,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
I just thought of another one. Does anyone else remember the "big" lake at Hansen Dam? It is very small now, and there is a water park adjacent to it, but in the past it was a much larger lake, and you could even water ski on it.

In the park nearby, there was also a miniature train ride, like the one in Griffith Park. That's been gone for many years, but as I passed by there today, I thought about it.

In a few earlier posts, we discussed the Palomino club in North Hollywood. There was another country bar next to Hansen Dam, called The Corral. Sadly, it, too, is long gone.

Further down Osborne St., there is another park, Roger Jessup Park, near Whitman Airport that used to have an archery range. I only know this because the original sign is still there with the letters carved in wood. The archery and picnic parts have been covered over with paint, but they are still readable. Does anyone remember this?
Yes... I remember Hansen Dam and the park around it. There was also a beach of sorts. I do remember seeing a place called the Corral, but was never inside. There was a fast food place called Crazy's... great pastami dips. I miss those sandwiches.... they don't have them here in Colorado.

Last edited by theatregal; 10-28-2009 at 11:42 PM.. Reason: forgot to add something

Old 10-29-2009, 05:34 AM

71,957 posts, read 83,612,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatregal View Post
Yes... I remember Hansen Dam and the park around it. There was also a beach of sorts. I do remember seeing a place called the Corral, but was never inside. There was a fast food place called Crazy's... great pastami dips. I miss those sandwiches.... they don't have them here in Colorado.
Hansen Dam was a favorite spot for many when we were in our teens.

Nita

Old 10-29-2009, 12:49 PM

26,346 posts, read 82,993,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Hansen Dam was a favorite spot for many when we were in our teens.

Nita

By any chance, do you recognize this pool? It is late 1950s maybe Burbank or near Hansen Dam.

Old 10-29-2009, 01:45 PM

42 posts, read 147,816 times
Wow...this looks very familar. I remember going to a pool around an area that looked like this with my mother and her friend, sometime in the late 1950's.

I also have a vauge memory of going to a pool in New Hall. My step-father worked as an L.A. Deputy Sheriff, for awhile at the Honor Farm. Believe it or not, I think there was a pool similar to this one there, for the deputies. LOL.... I swear my memory gets clouded at times.

Old 10-29-2009, 02:28 PM

Charles, I know you have been trying to figure this one out. I think it migh tbe near Hansen Dam, but it isn't quite the same obviously.

Nita

Old 10-29-2009, 03:49 PM

59 posts, read 304,963 times
1969 The year the Coronado Bridge was finished.

Old 10-29-2009, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
By any chance, do you recognize this pool? It is late 1950s maybe Burbank or near Hansen Dam.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Charles, I know you have been trying to figure this one out. I think it migh tbe near Hansen Dam, but it isn't quite the same obviously.

Nita
Well, I know this was discussed earlier in this thread, and possibly in others, too. It was speculated that it is the "Pops Willow Lake" resort, and from the looks of the mountains in the background, that is very possible. There were actually two resorts with that name. The first was a lake created from a rock quarry, which was destroyed in the flood of 1938. The second opened on or near Orcas Ave. a little bit above the riverbed. There are a few websites online that discuss the resort, but sadly, no good pictures that I could find. Judging by the picture Charles posted, this would have been the newer resort that was built after the flood.

I also found some information on Basilone homes that existed about where the MTA bus yard is now. They were built in the late '40s and lasted until sometime in the '50s.

Old 10-29-2009, 11:48 PM

I found this post on another forum. This is only part of the post. It brings back some other memories that I had forgotten:

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://forums.corvetteforum.com/southern-california/2266974-for-you-older-san-fernando-valley-guys.html
A walk down memory lane..............
YOU'RE SERIOUSLY OLD SCHOOL VALLEY IF..

Visited the Old Trappers Museum .

Cruised Bob’s in Glendale , Toluca Lake , Van Nuys or San Fernando .

Cruised Van Nuys or Hollywood Boulevards.

Had a beer at the Cactus, the Web or the Ramp.

Ate burgers at Times, Crazy’s, Bob’s, the Sirloin Burger, the Dip or Winchells

Drag raced on Sheldon, Clybourn, Wentworth, the River Road or Forest Lawn Drive .

Swam at Sun Valley Park , Pops Willow Lake , Fernangeles Park , Pickwick or Mc Cambridge Park

Went to the Victory, San Val, Sepulveda, Laurel , Van Nuys or Pickwick Drive In in the trunk of a car

Bought Christmas presents at Akron , White Front, Fedco, Zody’s, Gemco, Sav-On or Unimart

Ate pizza at Mikes on Van Nuys Boulevard

Bought your Levis and Sir Guys at Sun Valley Men and Boys or Peoples Store in San Fernando

Went water skiing boating on Hansen Dam when they allowed power boats

Thought the only Valley was the San Fernando Valley

Had a 45 record player in your car.

Did not have to speak Spanish to read the billboards and menus.

Ate a hot dog at Hugo’s or Cupids

Thought the only Canyon was La Tuna Canyon

Ever bought gas at the Seaside on Sunland and Penrose or the Flying A on Sunland and San Fernando .

Heard the Air Raid sirens at 10:00AM on the last Friday of the month.

Saw a boxing match or roller derby at the Valley Gardens

Bought milk at the Altadena Dairy, Manfull Dairy or the Roger Jessup Dairy when they had cows at the dairy.

Bought stuff at Whalen’s Drug on Vineland and San Fernando

Roller Skated at Melody Land , Rainbow Roller Rink or the Rollercade on Lankershim and Hart.

Pitted at the San Fernando Drags

Ice Skated at Schramms

Remember when the Seaside changed into a tire shop with a gorilla out front.

Saw the LA. Rams play in the LA Memorial Coliseum under coach Sid Gillman

Owned a club plaque and jacket that said: Deacons, Pagans, Townsmen, Apollos, Khans, Lazy Gents, Road Runners, Throttlers, Chancellors, Street Racers, Igniters, Poor Boys, Lobos, Lost Angels, Night Owls, Drifters, Innocents, Lynchmen, Nomads, Uhlans, Majestics, Diablos, Sultans, Strokers, Titans, Turks, Saints, Night Walkers, Road Huggers, Road Dusters, Rebels, Sidewinders, Midnighters, Prowlers, Road Kings or Jokers.

Remember when the mid-air crash rained flaming debris on the boy’s athletic field of Pacoima Junior High.

Ate Chinese Food at Phil Ahn’s Moongate

Watched the Los Angeles Angels play baseball at Wrigley Field or the Hollywood Stars play at Gilmore Field.

Remember when the “partial” nuclear meltdown in experimental reactor in Chatsworth in 1959 affected everyone west of Coldwater Canyon .

Had a 76x-xxxx (ROscoe x-xxx) or 24x-xxx Chase x-xxx telephone number

Ever had to ask Louis Forsch to help you find anything at Roscoe Hardware.

Were around when Roscoe became Sun Valley

Had a relative or friend who worked at Lockheed when it was in Burbank .

Went to Blackies or Cooper and Suds looking for auto parts.

Bought Auto Parts at Rounds or The Chrome House

Attended Glenwood, Fernangeles, Canterbury, Roscoe, Stonehurst or Vinedale Elementary Schools

Were in an “A” or “B” Grade at Sun Valley or Byrd Junior High…before they became Middle Schools”

Bought doughnuts off the Helm’s truck

Old 10-30-2009, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
I found this post on another forum. This is only part of the post. It brings back some other memories that I had forgotten:
not being raised it SFV I don't remember some of the stuff, but certainly am old enough:

Of course I remember Bobs. that was the first drive-in I ever saw plus we even ate in the little inside only restaurant in Glendale back in the 40s

Remember Hansen Dam: all the shops like Fedco, all my Christmas shopping when we first got married was from those places or home made.

yes, we went to Jr High school and yes, we had A and B. Some kids started school in the fall, some in Feb. I sometimes think that was a good thing.

The canyon, SFV being the only valley, Helms, had letters before our phone numbers: some number were only 4 digits and some 5.

I did see games at both Gilmore and Wrigley: also saw many Rams games in the coliseum.

My mom actually worked for Lockheed during the 2nd WW when my dad was overseas. She wanted to support our country. Isn't that a novel idea today (sorry)

My husband worked for Lockheed in the 70s as the PR director.

We hungout some at Pickwick and Hansen Dam, but not a lot.

Yes, had those Friday drills. I am sure there are others, but this will give those of you, who didn't know (as if it is a secret) how old I am. I am not old, but older than 90% of you guys I bet.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California