U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2009, 12:35 PM

59 posts, read 304,885 times

Advertisements

Senior posting moment! Yes, Tom Hatten.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2009, 08:43 AM

559 posts, read 1,122,792 times
Seasons Greetings:

If there wasn't a C-D ban on cross posting I would have also posted this to Charles' "Southern California: Aerospace Capital of the World" thread.

KCET Orange showed a very cool documentary called "Long Days Working Hard" (Long Beach During WWII). It's a CSULB project with lots of archival footage & talking head interviews.

Some topics mentioned:

Oil discovery
The Pike
Terminal Island & Roosevelt Naval Base
Long Beach Naval shipyard
Craig shipyard
Calship corporation
Long Beach connection to Pearl Harbor
Japanese sub attacks on coastal SoCal
Anti-aircraft barrage following a false aerial attack alarm
Japanese-American relocation
Earl Doherty Airfield & Douglas Aircraft Plant
Women who worked at the Douglas Plant
B-17, C-47
Queen Mary as troop transport
Spruce Goose assembly & flight
Massive city growth due to war economy

It's scheduled to be rebroadcast Saturday, 12/26/09 (7:00-8:00pm) Channel 28.2 KCETDT2

Old 12-25-2009, 12:05 PM

3,040 posts, read 10,444,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunk on kool aid View Post
KCET Orange showed a very cool documentary called "Long Days Working Hard" (Long Beach During WWII). It's a CSULB project with lots of archival footage & talking head interviews.

<snip>

It's scheduled to be rebroadcast Saturday, 12/26/09 (7:00-8:00pm) Channel 28.2 KCETDT2
This sounds like an interesting show. I'm don't think I get KCET, though, so unless it's on another station, I probably won't get to see it.

Old 12-25-2009, 12:09 PM

26,346 posts, read 82,968,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunk on kool aid View Post
Other channels:

http://stream03.amp.csulb.edu:8080/u...dcastTimes.pdf

Old 12-25-2009, 12:38 PM

3,040 posts, read 10,444,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Charles,
Thanks for the info. If I can't watch it on TV, at least I can order it.

Old 01-13-2010, 11:46 AM

1 posts, read 1,826 times
Default Hard to let go

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfwf View Post
I remember the days when the town I lived in (Fallbrook) was about 90% White, and when most of California wasn't completely overrun with foreigners like it is now.

Even if you disregard race, the SHEER NUMBERS of people that our insane and corrupt government are letting in each year with continue to drastically lower our standard of living.

Yet White Americans are still too cowardly and pathetic to start sticking up for themselves in even the most trivial way. When they see a fellow White resisting when confronted with gang scum and foreign invaders, they side with the enemy and cry "tolerance".

They have no unity, no sense of pride, NOTHING. They support the most sick and vile men in history who rule over them in Washington, believing they have some choice when their masters put two actors in front of them and say "vote". And they have been trained to participate in their own destruction, by condemning the small number of brave and intelligent Whites who would like to take REAL action as "haters", "anti-semites" and "racists". They gladly lap up garbage from Hollywood, produced by their Jewish overlords, which tells them they suck and that they owe non-Whites and Jews everything.

What a spineless and PATHETIC bunch Whites are, especially in California. But hey, this is just an Internet posting, it's not reality. Just go back to your TV and your ball games and your malls and your worthless dollar and your false reality as your children's future slips away. Don't let me bother you. And definitely do not visit sites like stormfront or natall.
I have to agree that a lot of the way of life that our fathers and forefathers fought for has been lost. But I don't think it's because of immigration. It's the welfare giveaways that has ruined the country. Start paying for babies, you'll get babies. Simple economic fact.

Old 01-13-2010, 01:11 PM

26,346 posts, read 82,968,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliesa View Post
Start paying for babies, you'll get babies. Simple economic fact.
It doesn't help that the catholic church's message to a guy who makes $8/hour and has five kids is "Go ahead, have another kid."

Old 01-19-2010, 03:20 PM

3 posts, read 10,801 times
Default Sambo's Restaurant!

That was Sambo's! I can't remmeber where exactly it was but I think we could see it from the freeway. It was based on the Little Black Sambo book, highly not politically correct in today's world. I don't know if we ever ate there as little kids but it seems to me that it was a pancake place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
There was a family restaurant on the way back from Laguna Beach that my dad would take me and my brother to. It had a tiger theme, and started with an "S", I think. I used to love that place! It was probably very cheesey, but at 5 or 6 years old, I was easily pleased! Anyone remember what it was called? Samba's, Simba's? I hadn't thought of that in years...

Old 01-19-2010, 03:22 PM

3 posts, read 10,801 times
What about P.O.P., Pacific Ocean Park? They had rides & carnival things. I can't recall which beach it was at, maybe Santa Monica?

Old 01-19-2010, 03:53 PM

15,758 posts, read 14,994,409 times
It was on Pier Ave in the Ocean Park section of Santa Monica. The clip is from 1959.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJ7yugaQF-0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California