U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2010, 07:30 PM

71,717 posts, read 83,316,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Gautier View Post
What about P.O.P., Pacific Ocean Park? They had rides & carnival things. I can't recall which beach it was at, maybe Santa Monica?
wow, the worst sunburn I ever got had to do with POP. My girlfriend who was as fair as me and I spent about 3 hours at the beach and then decided we had enough sun so we sould head to POP and have some fun. Hello, there is sun there as well. We went from game to game and ride to ride wearing our suits and a little blouse cover up: I got so burned that when I got marrried a year later I still had the marks from my suit. I won't mention where I got the most burned, but in those days it was part of our body we didn't usually expose: my suit just happened to slip a little that Sunday.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 08:48 PM

16,584 posts, read 33,680,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Gautier View Post
What about P.O.P., Pacific Ocean Park? They had rides & carnival things. I can't recall which beach it was at, maybe Santa Monica?
Yep, Santa Monica. I have fond memories of the place.

Old 03-05-2010, 08:35 AM

1 posts, read 1,885 times
Default Pops Willow Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbtoo View Post
Pops Willow Lake was in Lake View Terrace, in fact my sis was just talking about it last Saturday with some old family friends who grew up there and apparently when we went to visit them we would walk over to Pops to play....Fortunately they are older than I and have more memory of it than myself!!!! I could ask them if the have any pics. They are thinking it was closed down when someone drowned there. So sad, but not verified.
Pop's Willow Lake:
I Think in the early 1950's they had a bad Chlorine leak in the swimming pool and hurt or killed some people at Pop's Willow Lake....Mabe that's what closed it down.....not verified...just a vague memory.

Old 03-11-2010, 09:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abearhunter View Post
No one has mentioned Genieland in Burbank yet. Does anyone remember the place? It was a kids party place where the birthday child would go onstage, sit on a giant toadstool (I believe) and collect candy and such from puppets and characters. Afterward, everyone would go to a party room to have cake and ice cream and open gifts. I remember the place being absolutely wild (of course, I was a child.) Anyone else?
Genieland! My girlfriend had her birthday party there when we were about 5-6 years old, and it was so awesome. I had never seen anything like that before, so it was a real memory. I was just reminiscing with her about it yesterday, and she told me the name of the place. Now I know that it was in Burbank (we were in Van Nuys). Thanks for confirming!

Old 05-05-2010, 10:13 PM

23 posts, read 45,557 times
The Pacific Electric: This was the public transportation system that Los Angeles used to have. Although I'm too young to have experienced it, I've heard many great things about it. The legend has it that the demise of the P.E. was brought about by General Motors, Standard Oil, and Goodyear Tire, all of which wanted to put people into their own cars.

To a certain extent GM, Standard Oil and Goodyear Tire were the demise but, the actual railroads themselves were so mismanaged and corrupted that they kind of dug their own graves.

Old 05-06-2010, 12:55 AM

17,447 posts, read 23,888,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asucubbydback View Post
The Pacific Electric: This was the public transportation system that Los Angeles used to have. Although I'm too young to have experienced it, I've heard many great things about it. The legend has it that the demise of the P.E. was brought about by General Motors, Standard Oil, and Goodyear Tire, all of which wanted to put people into their own cars.

To a certain extent GM, Standard Oil and Goodyear Tire were the demise but, the actual railroads themselves were so mismanaged and corrupted that they kind of dug their own graves.
PE was before my time. I'd heard that the trains were very poorly maintained and broke down a lot even before GM and Goodyear got involved. BTW, when the county took over PE and formed the original MTA, the system got dismantled within a short period of time.

Old 05-08-2010, 07:58 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,367 posts, read 8,567,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
I can remember many of these things from my childhood, most of them very fondly. I'm sure that if I put my mind to it, I will be able to come up with some other fond memories from that era. For now, though, I'd like to hear about what others remember from their earlier days.
It was a "simple pleasure" we used to take for granted, but living in Long Beach during the 60's and 70's, I recall when you could still drive into a large shopping center, and SoCal still wasn't so crowded yet, that you could easily find a parking spot, without having to aggressively "compete" for it!

Recently was at a Costco here in rural NorCal (the "real" NorCal ), and while watching folks calmly (& unstressfully) come and go in the parking lot, I realized how uncommon that simple experience has become in most of the suburban & metro parts of Cali these days.

Old 05-08-2010, 05:53 PM

65 posts, read 81,412 times
Default lankersheim elementary school

can anyone tell me when lankersheim elementary school on lankersheim blvd in north hollywood was cut from 2 stories down to 1? when did it quit being an elementary school? it was such a beauty in the late 60's. i was very disappointed to see how much it had changed while on google maps. however, to my suprise the area in general hadn't changed all that much in 40 years.

Old 05-08-2010, 05:57 PM

55,553 posts, read 74,425,183 times
came here from france with 150 bucks and 2 suit cases 30 years ago. california has been very good to me.
thank you california.

Old 05-08-2010, 06:40 PM

9,321 posts, read 16,547,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
came here from france with 150 bucks and 2 suit cases 30 years ago. california has been very good to me.
thank you california.
Glad you found your spot on this globe. It is still a beautiful state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California