U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2011, 10:28 AM

23,605 posts, read 31,379,145 times

Advertisements

::::sigh:::: Even the original Shakeys which was still in business in Sacramento when I moved there closed down in '97. What's the world coming to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2011, 11:39 AM

16,584 posts, read 33,669,032 times
The only thing in life that doesn't change is change.

Old 01-15-2011, 12:01 PM

25,631 posts, read 30,318,456 times
My Dad was a milk man in the 1950's and 1960's. Besides milk in a bottle we used to get cottage cheese in Bascal metal containers that we used as cups for year afterwards.

Old 01-15-2011, 12:06 PM

Oh yea and the Pizza and Pipes places.

Old 01-15-2011, 12:19 PM

71,700 posts, read 83,272,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
While I was at OCC it was Bob's, Shakey's and French burgers at IHOP. Not to forget a small burger and taco stand down the street from the college. Bob's and Shakey's are gone. Not sure about the IHOP and stand. Guess I'll never know but they're still there in my fond memories.
i forgot about Shakeys. We had one in Covina. It was probably the first Pizza I really liked.

Nita

Old 01-15-2011, 12:24 PM

16,584 posts, read 33,669,032 times
Thin crust = best. Shakeys was/is thin.

Old 01-15-2011, 12:41 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,379,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
My Dad was a milk man in the 1950's and 1960's. Besides milk in a bottle we used to get cottage cheese in Bascal metal containers that we used as cups for year afterwards.
Ya can't beat home deliveredf milk in a bottle. It stays ever so much fresher and colder. Yum! In winter, when it was at or below freezing, the cream from whole milk would rise to the top of the bottle, pop the cardboard cap and freeze as a column above the bottle top.

Wonder if anyone still delivers that way. We had Carnation which included eggs, ice cream, butter, cottage cheese, sour cream, you name it. I almost bought a route and truck back in the very early 70s.

Old 01-15-2011, 12:59 PM

Ok tell me these videos do not bring back memories for those of you fortunate enough to have dined at a Pizza and Pipes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYnHA0ndfX4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrxCak_3aGo

Old 01-15-2011, 02:54 PM

1,391 posts, read 2,142,364 times
[quote=bulldogdad;17425491]My Dad was a milk man in the 1950's and 1960's. Besides milk in a bottle we used to get cottage cheese in Bascal metal containers that we used as cups for year afterwards.

That cup certainly brings back pleasant memories. Our Mom purchased them in several colors (sans cottage cheese).

I was saddened when the local dairy farms sold to developers, even though they were my competitors. I delivered dairy products, too, (except for ice cream), but I always enjoyed passing by one of the farms as it felt a little like being in the country instead of the heart of San Fernando Valley.

I remember that starting at 3:45 in the morning was a good thing, because if you were scheduled to load on the "late" shift at 4:15 AM, the ice would be rusty and you had to wipe down every product you delivered during the day.

When the company switched to refrigerated trucks we couldn't get used to unplugging them in the morning, and there were quite a few trucks dragging their pigtail electrical cords - and sometimes even the receptacles - around the Valley.

When it rained heavily the streets would be like rivers, and the water would flow in one door and out the other side of those old Divco trucks. They had no seat - you stood up to drive them - so you stood in water when travelling on Roscoe by Poly High, on Tuxford at SF Road, and all of the other flooded Valley streets, but the deliveries were made.

Like Archie serenaded us, "Those Were the Days."

Old 01-15-2011, 03:07 PM

[quote=JustPassinThru;17427459]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post

That cup certainly brings back pleasant memories. Our Mom purchased them in several colors (sans cottage cheese).

I was saddened when the local dairy farms sold to developers, even though they were my competitors. I delivered dairy products, too, (except for ice cream), but I always enjoyed passing by one of the farms as it felt a little like being in the country instead of the heart of San Fernando Valley.

I remember that starting at 3:45 in the morning was a good thing, because if you were scheduled to load on the "late" shift at 4:15 AM, the ice would be rusty and you had to wipe down every product you delivered during the day.

When the company switched to refrigerated trucks we couldn't get used to unplugging them in the morning, and there were quite a few trucks dragging their pigtail electrical cords - and sometimes even the receptacles - around the Valley.

When it rained heavily the streets would be like rivers, and the water would flow in one door and out the other side of those old Divco trucks. They had no seat - you stood up to drive them - so you stood in water when travelling on Roscoe by Poly High, on Tuxford at SF Road, and all of the other flooded Valley streets, but the deliveries were made.

Like Archie serenaded us, "Those Were the Days."
Yeah I remember getting up with my Dad on some of those mornings when I didnt have school. Mom would make us a big breakfast @2:00am.

Dad would head out to work and me back to bed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California