U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-15-2011, 04:22 PM

16,585 posts, read 20,542,878 times

Advertisements

This is the milk we had delivered in Capistrano.

Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 03:42 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,562,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
::::sigh:::: Even the original Shakeys which was still in business in Sacramento when I moved there closed down in '97. What's the world coming to?
The Shakey's restaurants I remember from when I was younger were in Burbank and Sylmar. Both are still there.

Bob's Big Boy has also made a bit of a comeback, with quite a few new locations opening recently. The new ones I can think of are in Sun Valley, Bakersfield, Barstow, and Baker, CA. The old one in Toluca Lake is still there, too. There's also one in Glendale, but I don't know if it's at an old location or a new one.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:48 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,562,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
When it rained heavily the streets would be like rivers, and the water would flow in one door and out the other side of those old Divco trucks. They had no seat - you stood up to drive them - so you stood in water when travelling on Roscoe by Poly High, on Tuxford at SF Road, and all of the other flooded Valley streets, but the deliveries were made.

Like Archie serenaded us, "Those Were the Days."
I went to Poly High, and remember how bad the flooding was on Roscoe. Tuxford and S.F. Road was always bad, even with just a mild storm, so I pretty much avoided it if there was any precipitation at all. What amazed me was the number of people that attempted to pass through that intersection anyway. There have been some improvements made there that should clear most of the flooding, but I still avoid it when it rains. Many of the other streets were also bad in the east valley, and they are still that way.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:54 PM

14,141 posts, read 16,506,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
This is the milk we had delivered in Capistrano.
Interesting. I don't think one could get milk delivered in Laguna Niguel in the 60s at least down at my end of it. When we moved there was when we started buying it at the Supermarket (Lucerne from Safeway). In Ontario we could get Carnation, Shady Grove or Alta Dena as I recall.

Old 01-17-2011, 11:40 PM

920 posts, read 746,208 times
Ok did someone mention the old Skateland in Whittier? I was really sad to see a landmark where all the neighborhood kids went (grew up in Whittier), and ppl from far away came to, it was awesome back in the 80's or Drive In Theatres there was the Sundown on Washington Blvd (Vineland is left, aside from a very few left)....What about The Federated Store (FedRated Guy, Shadoe Stevens)?? Fedco Dept Store (I remember the one in Cerritos, were there more?) What about Spires Diners, are there any left in Calif? The Pantry (somebody must have already mentioned it) but its now just that tiny corner dinner part, and the restaurant is Riordon's Tavern, I guess to compliment the newly built Ritz Carlton and renovated Staples area (LA Live), just a guess....

And if you want to go way back, does anyone remember the night clubs/night life of the 80's?? Florentine Gardens (both Hollywood & El Monte), Fantasia (both DTLA & La Puente), Mr. Js, the Casa, Marilyn's in Pasadena (underage club), Peppers (both Lakewood --I think it was? & Industry), the Hop (Lakewood & Industry), Blondies on Slauson (now a Nude bar) to name a few....Oooooh and embarrasing, the Pussycat theatres, or the "Cat Patch" in Whittier (my dad use to go there, oy vey!)

The Radio Station, The Mighty 690 am, always said something about Tijuana, god talk about a long long time ago, far far away (ok i'll shut up).......

Old 01-18-2011, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agnt.starling View Post

The Radio Station, The Mighty 690 am, always said something about Tijuana,
"equis a tay eray aw, Tijuana, Mexico"

Old 01-18-2011, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Interesting. I don't think one could get milk delivered in Laguna Niguel in the 60s at least down at my end of it.
Golden Arrow was a San Diego County dairy. That's all I remember about it. That and the milkman's name was Gene and the milk truck was white and orange.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:16 AM

14,141 posts, read 16,506,598 times
Quote:
"equis a tay eray aw, Tijuana, Mexico"
You'd also hear that on B-100. I think they had some humongous transmission towers down there beyond the reach of the FCC that would have enabled them to broadcast to the moon if they wanted.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:49 AM

They weren't limited by the FCC's 50kw limit. It wasn't uncommon for the X stations to pump out 100 - 200kw.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Golden Arrow was a San Diego County dairy. That's all I remember about it. That and the milkman's name was Gene and the milk truck was white and orange.
And another Golden Arrow memory: the 1 gallon glass bottles of whole milk made a mess when you dropped a full one on to the asphalt tiles of the dining room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California