U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 01-18-2011, 10:01 AM

16,591 posts, read 17,366,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agnt.starling View Post
it was either that r Dal Rae
The Dal Rae, one of my favorite old school eateries in So Cal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 01-18-2011, 10:01 AM

849 posts, read 597,709 times
@Blackshoe & Fontucky, (SPIRES) I didn't know that, I thought I saw on Firestone (Downey????) maybe not...
but I have fond memories of the one in South Whittier/Santa Fe Springs on Carmenita Rd, it was old, food was so so, waitresses were sweet old ladies, that was my original place to soak up after dancing & drinking, whereas Denny's came next & then Rosewood (Norwak)...i mean Norwalk...lol

Unread 01-18-2011, 10:04 AM

849 posts, read 597,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
The Dal Rae, one of my favorite old school eateries in So Cal.
I loved Dal Rae too, still there, still in tact!

Unread 01-18-2011, 10:08 AM

But very $$$$$$$

Unread 01-18-2011, 12:45 PM

17,752 posts, read 13,415,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
I can hear it as well, right down to the inflections she added to "Tijuana, Mexico." And she didn't pronounce the x.
Was that anything like, "Yo quiero taco bell?"

Unread 01-18-2011, 05:42 PM

1 posts, read 1,439 times
I just wanted to post I worked at Beverly Ponyland from age 11 through sixteen at which time I joined the Navy . I returned to my beloved Pony track in 1955. Meryle Murphy the owner of Pony land was my second "mother" Love to share memories,like Smokey Joe's , Tail of the PUP Rexall Drugs ,Tiny Naylors on La Cienega,I could go on and on.

Unread 01-18-2011, 05:51 PM

26,365 posts, read 49,372,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Mulhall View Post
I just wanted to post I worked at Beverly Ponyland from age 11 through sixteen at which time I joined the Navy . I returned to my beloved Pony track in 1955. Meryle Murphy the owner of Pony land was my second "mother" Love to share memories,like Smokey Joe's , Tail of the PUP Rexall Drugs ,Tiny Naylors on La Cienega,I could go on and on.

Well do it then. Sounds like you have lots of neat nostalgic information.

Unread 01-18-2011, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Love to share memories,like Smokey Joe's , Tail of the PUP Rexall Drugs ,Tiny Naylors on La Cienega,I could go on and on.
I'll pull up a chair, light a cigar and you do yo thang.

Unread 01-19-2011, 10:20 PM

3,043 posts, read 6,752,099 times
Quote:
I was just thinking about Tiny Naylors the other day. There used to be one in Van Nuys at Sherman Way and Sepulveda, as I recall. The other one I remember was in what is now Santa Clarita, though it was gone before the city incorporated, I believe. It was on Lyons Ave. at I-5. Though the restaurant was gone, the tall sign remained there for many more years, and has only come down (relatively) recently. I stopped at a gas station near there, and was thinking about how that sign managed to last so much longer than the restaurant.

Unread 01-19-2011, 11:35 PM

9 posts, read 11,264 times
XERB was at 690. It was one of the border stations from the '30s. Like Fontucky said, they set up there to beat the US limit on broadcast wattage. On a clear night XERB, with studios "In the beautiful Rosarita Hotel in Rosarita Beach," which I suppose now is a suberb of Tijuana, could be heard all the way to Canada. I went down there in '55 or '56, expecting a town, or something, but it was just a run down adobe hotel with one neon light all by itself on "beautiful Rosarita beach." There was a red tide, too. Before Wolfman Jack started there you could find the weirdest assortment of hour, half-hour and even 15 minute shows on that station. Garner Ted Armstrong, after he and his father William Armstrong split over the Worldwide Church of God, (who, incidentally, built Ambassador College in Pasadena, which included one of the southland's best auditoriums, had a show; "Polo" "recalled" horse races, as though they were live, every half hour from tracks all over; the Hunts had a show about "The Mistaken Enemies of Freedom", Wayne Rainey had a 15 minute show, as did the Phipps Family, and evangelists. Tons of evangelists. I loved listening to them, unbeliever that I was. In a music store where I was teaching guitar in the late 50s, not far from the Palamino Club, a guy wandered in who had been one of those evangelists. I told him how I loved listening to them, and what a great thing I thought it would be to do, and he went into a tirade about what lying thieving bastards they all were, and how he knew it because he had done it. Burned my innocent little ears, it did. XERA, across the river from Del Rio Texas was another one. Those stations were the making of country music; nobody in the states wanted to play it in the '20s and '30s because they thought nobody with any money to buy records would listen to it. So the border stations started playing it and mail ordering records, and it was bonanza time. By the time Wolfman came on, I had moved away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California