Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2011, 07:36 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibber mcghee in mali View Post
a guy wandered in who had been one of those evangelists. I told him how I loved listening to them, and what a great thing I thought it would be to do, and he went into a tirade about what lying thieving bastards they all were, and how he knew it because he had done it.
No surprise. Orange County (and Colorado Springs) is loaded with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 04:11 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,744,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miracle_Max View Post
Wow, what a strange day. I had a dream last night about a theme park that was located on Chalk Hill -- Ventura Blvd. just east of DeSoto -- where the old Gemco used to be. I then spent the day cleaning out some old files, and discovered a couple of KMET stickers, which I then Googled, and wound up here.

I have one of the KMET bumper stickers pictured earlier, as well as one of the Rolling-Stone style tongue stickers.

Speaking of KMET, does anyone remember the fish report (with a beat)? There is a Pink Floyd song that has a bit of it playing in the background.

The Farrell's in Woodland Hills was on Canoga Ave. right next to the freeway on-ramp.

We still get them in San Diego, but it's been Worthington Dodge for years now.

Dial, Dial, Dial Chevrolet, two block off the Santa Ana Freeway, 1-1-9-8-0 East Firestone, Dial Chevrolet!

I used to go there all the time in the late '70s and into the '80s. I spent a lot of time in The Fantasy Castle too, when it was still in Woodland Hills. I saw Jamie Farr from M*A*S*H in there once too.

My grandfather used to come over to our house every week to watch him too. I thought he was from the mid-west though, Iowa or Minnesota or some such?

Anyone remember Red Skelton?

1/2 of a 6-oz. can of frozen, concentrated orange juice.
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
5 or 6 ice cubes

Dump in a blender and blend about 30 seconds

That's the recipe I have, although I don't think it is the original. I seem to remember the original had powdered egg whites in it.

He was on into the early 60s. Sheriff John, Hobo Kelley, Billy Barty, Captain Kangaroo, and Romper Room. Sesame Street came later, but PBS was a UHF channel, and our television couldn't get those channels.

Woodland Hills was Diamond as well. We were Diamond 7-3538.

I remember him. We used to wave at him every time we drove past him.

We always went to the Panorama City mall to sit on Santa's lap and get our picture taken.

Anybody remember Candy Cane Lane?

So are the air-raid sirens totally gone now? I remember hearing them one morning about ten or twelve years ago, when I was still living in Calabasas. When I heard them, I looked at the clock, and sure enough, it was Friday morning at 10:00 AM!

Chicken Delight with their take-out orders between two paper plates that were stapled together.

The Renaissance Faire when it was still at the Paramount Ranch?

Dirt Mulholland?

Buying corn from the farms along Topanga Canyon (where the mall is now)?

Anybody remember the water sculpture thingy in the Topanga Plaza right next to the ice-skating rink? They were like circles of fishing line strug from the ceiling to the floor that water dripped down? I used to love that.

How about the Planet of the Apes set, or the M*A*S*H set at Malibu Creek State Park? We always used to go night-hiking in the park, but had to sneak through the M*A*S*H set, so the studio guard wouldn't catch us.

Good times.
I remember going to see Santa and I sure remember Candy Cane Lane. The way the cities used to decorate the light poles was a favorite of mine as well. Of course the Santa's Village in Big Bear was a hoot. I had the pleasure of taking my grown daughters to it when they were very young.
Hollywood Bowl, the Moody Blues was my favorite concert ever.

Old 01-20-2011, 05:56 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,116,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
I was just thinking about Tiny Naylors the other day. There used to be one in Van Nuys at Sherman Way and Sepulveda, as I recall.
I used to live within walking distance of Tiny Naylor's at Victory and Sepulveda. I fondly remember walking over and getting their beef and kidney pie, taking it home and enjoying dinner. That was in the early '70s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibber mcghee in mali View Post
XERB was at 690. It was one of the border stations from the '30s. Like Fontucky said, they set up there to beat the US limit on broadcast wattage. On a clear night XERB, with studios "In the beautiful Rosarita Hotel in Rosarita Beach," which I suppose now is a suberb of Tijuana, could be heard all the way to Canada.
It was Rosarito Beach. I used to go there and fish off the half day boats. Okay my parents took me. That was shortly after the dinosaurs died, but we already had invented dirt...

Old 01-20-2011, 10:42 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,591,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I used to live within walking distance of Tiny Naylor's at Victory and Sepulveda. I fondly remember walking over and getting their beef and kidney pie, taking it home and enjoying dinner. That was in the early '70s.
The restaurant I'm remembering may have been at Victory and Sepulveda, but I still believe there was one on Sherman Way in that area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
That was shortly after the dinosaurs died, but we already had invented dirt...
Colors weren't invented yet at that time, though, were they? From the old TV shows I've seen, it would seem that colors are a relatively new invention... much newer than dirt!

Old 01-21-2011, 07:00 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,116,182 times
It wouldn't surprise me if there was a different restaurant at Sepulveda and Sherman Way. Particularly back in the "olden" days when the economy was better there were more restaurants then than now. (I think this is correct, I haven't counted them.) Another place I remember fondly was Hai Wei Chinese take out on Sepulveda south of Victory (west side a few hundred feet from Victory). Get it? Hai Wei = highway. Or at least I always thought it was a pun. My father used to get take out from there every Friday night. It was just a kitchen, no walk in, benches in front if you wanted to eat outside. Their food was really good, the first Chinese food I ever ate. Mmmmmmmm!

Actually colors had been invented by the time of dinosaurs because dinosaurs were colored, some of them quite brightly and garishly. TV hadn't been invented yet so anything on TV is fake.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:56 PM

59 posts, read 350,601 times
The Crab Cooker !!! Wish I was there...

Old 02-04-2011, 03:24 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
With all the TV nostalgia I don't think anyone's mentioned Hazel for family time, Wild Bill Hickok, Lash La Rue, The Cisco Kid (horribly politically incorrect), Have Gun Will Travel, Maverick, Wagon Train, Big Valley, Sheriff of Cochise, Rawhide, Hopalong Cassidy and many other westerns too numerable to mention.

Old 02-04-2011, 05:40 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,936,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
With all the TV nostalgia I don't think anyone's mentioned Hazel
It's too bad she's remembered for that insipid role. She was one hell of a dramatic actress, as her performance in Come Back Little Sheba proved.

Old 02-04-2011, 05:47 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
It's too bad she's remembered for that insipid role. She was one hell of a dramatic actress, as her performance in Come Back Little Sheba proved.
Welcome to Tinsel Town where memories are short and the glitter is all that matters in the end.

Old 02-27-2011, 11:48 PM

1 posts, read 2,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyonejudy View Post
Also, wasn't Tom Hatten the host with Webster Webfoot (Mayco Club). Remember Uncle Whoa Bill on radio? Or am I really old...........judy
When I was about 3 (about 1949), my mom took me to see my favorite radio show, "Uncle Whoa Bill". I remember there were 3 sets of bleachers each with about 4 rows. The parents sat in back of the bleachers in the darkened theater. Uncle Whoa Bill sat on a stool in the spotlight in front of the bleachers. I enjoyed the visit quite a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California