Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2007, 04:30 AM

837 posts, read 1,709,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by treeluvr View Post
http://www.sambosrestaurant.com/

I worked at this one for about 5 days in the early '70's. I was maybe 20-21, they were short of waitresses, very busy, I hadn't been given a menu to study, and no one told me where anything was (where to get a salad, for example)--what a nightmare! I loved Santa Barbara, but don't miss Sambo's.

Do miss CA though, guess it's changed an awful lot since I've been there (90's). Fun thread!
Sorry should have checked my web link before posting. Here's a functional one for folks who are nostalgic about Sambo's.

http://www.sambosrestaurant.com/indexsam.htm (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 09:29 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,827,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage of Sagle View Post

People protested because the character was "little black Sambo" and they got accused of being racist. As a kid, I just thought it was sort of a "jungle book" theme....
You would be correct. That's exactly what it was.

The original "Little Black Sambo" from the children's story was not even an African. He was from India. The British colonists called the Indian natives "black" because many had dark complexions, and although there are theories that this was due to early migration by Africans, it remains speculation rather than accepted fact.

The demise of Sambo came from the fact that he was called "Black". If he had been "Little Indian Sambo", we would probably still be eating his pancakes topped with Tiger Butter.

However, on the other hand, Sambo's parents were called Mumbo and Jumbo so maybe prejudice against Africans was involved, but we all know that there are no tigers in Africa.

But, that was all in the racially charged 60's and 70's. Today we can all sit down together at IHop and eat all the pancakes we want.
Of course if you are African American and want to eat your pancakes at Denny's, you have to pay first.

Last edited by Fat Freddy; 12-18-2007 at 09:39 AM..

Old 01-26-2008, 09:35 PM

1 posts, read 4,817 times
Wow, what a strange day. I had a dream last night about a theme park that was located on Chalk Hill -- Ventura Blvd. just east of DeSoto -- where the old Gemco used to be. I then spent the day cleaning out some old files, and discovered a couple of KMET stickers, which I then Googled, and wound up here.

I have one of the KMET bumper stickers pictured earlier, as well as one of the Rolling-Stone style tongue stickers.

Speaking of KMET, does anyone remember the fish report (with a beat)? There is a Pink Floyd song that has a bit of it playing in the background.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
Farrell's Ice Cream Parlours had several locations in the valley. The ones I remember were Van Nuys Blvd. just south of Sherman Way, Reseda Blvd. just south of Devonshire, and another in the west valley, just north of Ventura Blvd., possibly on Tampa Ave., though I can't recall the street it was on for sure.
The Farrell's in Woodland Hills was on Canoga Ave. right next to the freeway on-ramp.

Quote:
Here's another: Cal Worthington and his "dog" Spot! Are those commercials still on TV? I haven't seen one in a long time.
We still get them in San Diego, but it's been Worthington Dodge for years now.

Quote:
It's funny the jingles we remember, isn't it?
Dial, Dial, Dial Chevrolet, two block off the Santa Ana Freeway, 1-1-9-8-0 East Firestone, Dial Chevrolet!

Quote:
There was also a store there called "The Last Grenadier," that carried a variety of games.
I used to go there all the time in the late '70s and into the '80s. I spent a lot of time in The Fantasy Castle too, when it was still in Woodland Hills. I saw Jamie Farr from M*A*S*H in there once too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KewGee View Post
Watching Lawrence Welk with my grandmother too. I think she had a crush on him since they were both German.

My grandfather used to come over to our house every week to watch him too. I thought he was from the mid-west though, Iowa or Minnesota or some such?

Anyone remember Red Skelton?

Quote:
Remember the Orange Julius stands?
1/2 of a 6-oz. can of frozen, concentrated orange juice.
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
5 or 6 ice cubes

Dump in a blender and blend about 30 seconds

That's the recipe I have, although I don't think it is the original. I seem to remember the original had powdered egg whites in it.
Quote:
Does anyone remember the Sheriff John Show? That was in the 1950s.
He was on into the early 60s. Sheriff John, Hobo Kelley, Billy Barty, Captain Kangaroo, and Romper Room. Sesame Street came later, but PBS was a UHF channel, and our television couldn't get those channels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidget View Post
The old phone number prefixes...instead of saying 846-1898 my parents would say TH6-1898 or Thornwall6-1898. I think Glendale was "Citrus" and Canoga Park was "Diamond." Hollywood might have actually been "Hollywood" with "HO" for short.
Woodland Hills was Diamond as well. We were Diamond 7-3538.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidget View Post
And the Santa Claus who lived for years on a store rooftop in Carpenteria along the 101? He now resides incongruously in Oxnard along the freeway. Weird.

Which reminds me of Santa's Village near Arrowhead.
I remember him. We used to wave at him every time we drove past him.

We always went to the Panorama City mall to sit on Santa's lap and get our picture taken.

Anybody remember Candy Cane Lane?

So are the air-raid sirens totally gone now? I remember hearing them one morning about ten or twelve years ago, when I was still living in Calabasas. When I heard them, I looked at the clock, and sure enough, it was Friday morning at 10:00 AM!

Chicken Delight with their take-out orders between two paper plates that were stapled together.

The Renaissance Faire when it was still at the Paramount Ranch?

Dirt Mulholland?

Buying corn from the farms along Topanga Canyon (where the mall is now)?

Anybody remember the water sculpture thingy in the Topanga Plaza right next to the ice-skating rink? They were like circles of fishing line strug from the ceiling to the floor that water dripped down? I used to love that.

How about the Planet of the Apes set, or the M*A*S*H set at Malibu Creek State Park? We always used to go night-hiking in the park, but had to sneak through the M*A*S*H set, so the studio guard wouldn't catch us.

Good times.

Old 01-26-2008, 11:11 PM

168 posts, read 637,212 times
Default Renaissance Faire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miracle_Max View Post
The Renaissance Faire when it was still at the Paramount Ranch?
Good times.
I still have a leather sachel from my first visit in...68? We have a Ren fair here in GA but it's very commercial by comparison. I wish my kids could enjoy it the way we did. Those were definitely good times.

Do you still get the little strawberry vendors that used to set up here and there in the valley, with berries big as your fist and sweet as honey?

Old 01-27-2008, 06:41 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,734,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miracle_Max View Post

Anybody remember Candy Cane Lane?

So are the air-raid sirens totally gone now? I remember hearing them one morning about ten or twelve years ago, when I was still living in Calabasas. When I heard them, I looked at the clock, and sure enough, it was Friday morning at 10:00 AM!

Dirt Mulholland?

Buying corn from the farms along Topanga Canyon (where the mall is now)?

Yep, that recipe for Orange Julius is exactly what I used, except it was powered sugar.

Anybody remember the water sculpture thingy in the Topanga Plaza right next to the ice-skating rink? They were like circles of fishing line strug from the ceiling to the floor that water dripped down? I used to love that.
Candy Cane lan is still there

Map of Candy Cane Lane Route, Lubao Ave and Oxnard St, Woodland Hills, CA 91367 on Los Angeles Citysearch (http://losangeles.citysearch.com/profile/map/39866829/woodland_hills_ca/candy_cane_lane_route.html - broken link)

We took our kids there about four or five years ago...just like my parents look me about 40 years ago. I vaguely remember some guy getting shot and killed there (while with his kid and wife) about ten years ago. I think it was a gang misidentification....not that this place is dangerous, that was a freak thing.

Some parts of Mulholland are still dirt. If you head east about a half a mile from Canoga you'll hit dirt. The transistion is clearly visible here (click on Bird's Eye View):
Live Local Search

I remember the beads in Topanga Plaza (when it was May Company, "Monkey" Wards, and Broadway). I think that was oil and not water...not sure. We used to play midnight broom ball in that ice rink around 77 or 78.

We used to buy strawberries and corn on Sherman Way near West Hills Hospital about where the Canoga Mission Gallery and Post Office is now.

The recipe for Orange Julius is exactly what I used except it was using powered sugar.

How about the Baronet Theater and the Art Theater and Holiday Theater? At the Baronet we'd watch Billy Jack and old rock movies like Pink Floyd's Pompeii (which is on DVD now, awesome from about 1971 just prior to DSOTM), the Song Remains the Same, Gimmie Shelter, Genesis Sensasia (try and find that - Bruford playing drums for Genesis for this filmed concert.) You didn't need to bring your own contraband - the smoke in the theater would lift you for free...

Read the comments:

Cinema Treasures | Baronet Theatre

Last edited by Charles; 01-27-2008 at 06:52 AM..

Old 02-10-2008, 03:56 PM

1 posts, read 4,339 times
Dear Caseyclair:
Try [url=http://www.rivergraphics.com/cabrini]Villa Cabrini Academy - Burbank, California[/url]
That will give you all the current and past info you could ever want.
Nbloxham

Old 02-10-2008, 04:04 PM

253 posts, read 1,130,984 times
General Telephone! Remember them? Now they're Verizon. And Pacific Bell! - which became Pac Bell, which became SBC Communications.....

~Cali-girl

Old 02-10-2008, 09:08 PM

42 posts, read 164,809 times
Smile I Love This Site!

I just found this site and haven't had a chance to read all the posts. Wow... what a walk down memory lane....
I grew up in the Valley... Sun Valley, Sylmar, and mostly Burbank. My mom worked at St. Joseph hospital for over 35 years.
I hope you all get this going! I'm sure I'll post more soon.

Old 02-10-2008, 09:18 PM

38,869 posts, read 22,854,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali-girl View Post
General Telephone! Remember them? Now they're Verizon. And Pacific Bell! - which became Pac Bell, which became SBC Communications.....

~Cali-girl
And now SBC is AT&T.

Old 02-12-2008, 07:29 AM

13 posts, read 52,761 times
I used to pick through the dumpster at the ATT building,on Van Nuys Blvd.!! Used to find all kinds of electronic goodies!! This was the days before sucurity cameras'homeland sucurity" and restricted areas.. ha ha ha You try that now, and you would probibly be shot, or wind up at Guantonimo P.C.!!! Also getting pretty good tires,in the trash bin, at any,and all gas stations ,in the valley. Thank you for this site!!, Sparky
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California