U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 01-21-2009, 09:30 PM

46 posts, read 79,709 times
Default New set back in balancing CA budget crisis

Gov. A.S. had ordered a 10% reduction in salary across the board for state employees as well as two furlough days a month for the next 18 months. This was supposed to help aliviate and balance the budget crisis. It would also save many people from loosing their jobs. The measure would start next month (February 09). However, the State Controller has refused to follow orders and cut salary on state employees.

Furloughs illegal, controller says - E-mail Alerts -- Election News - sacbee.com (http://www.sacbee.com/1095/story/1563302.html - broken link)
Quick reply to this message

Unread 01-21-2009, 09:43 PM

5,500 posts, read 6,059,114 times
Is Arnold's middle name Siegfried?

Unread 01-21-2009, 09:57 PM

5,110 posts, read 10,801,338 times
sounds like a sound plan.. too bad the legislature doesnt have the balls to push for it as well

Unread 01-21-2009, 10:07 PM

12,572 posts, read 21,887,224 times
I guess the problem isn't as bad as it's hyped up to be... or the powers that be want the State to crash and burn.

Unread 01-21-2009, 11:05 PM

1,304 posts, read 774,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss cali View Post
However, the State Controller has refused to follow orders and cut salary on state employees.

Furloughs illegal, controller says - E-mail Alerts -- Election News - sacbee.com (http://www.sacbee.com/1095/story/1563302.html - broken link)
Hmmm. Funny, didn't hear a peep from him when the Assembly tried to pass an illegal tax increase (http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2009/01/20/opinion/walters/zd5e9d64561b6efd78825753e006c951a.txt - broken link). Can you say partisan politics anyone?

Unread 01-22-2009, 01:18 AM

3,842 posts, read 7,512,339 times
The budget crisis is going to get worse. I have been looking at the budget numbers (I am studying accounting so yes, I did enjoy it haha). The first thing to look at is where is the money coming from. See this chart for where the $$ is coming from:

As you can see, the largest source is from personal income tax and the second is sales tax. Nearly 70% of the revenues are coming from these two sources. Now, here is where the problem arises. CA is in a major economic meltdown. Job loses are high as well as unemployment. When people are unemployed they don't pay income taxes and they don't spend as much. To say the least in the next couple years CA is going to see these two sources of revenue drop. This will make the crisis that much worse.

We also need to look at where the money is going:

Education and health/human services comprise nearly 65% of the spending. If we are to tackle the root of this problem that is where we need to look.

Doing a straight line cut is a quick fix but not in the long run. You need to go in there cut out the fat and make it more efficient. We need to go after spending simple as that. Raising taxes will only LOWER the overall tax revenue. As you can see, more people are leaving CA than coming in. That could be a big problem. People are getting to the point of saying, "Why stay in CA and pay 0-10% personal income tax when I can go to Texas and pay no income tax? I am one of them.

Last edited by killer2021; 01-22-2009 at 01:30 AM..

Unread 01-22-2009, 04:27 AM

26,365 posts, read 49,288,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
"Why stay in CA and pay 0-10% personal income tax when I can go to Texas and pay no income tax? I am one of them.
Wouldn't it be more complicated than that considering the property tax rate in Texas is significantly higher than in CA?

Unread 01-22-2009, 08:43 AM

1,078 posts, read 2,336,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Wouldn't it be more complicated than that considering the property tax rate in Texas is significantly higher than in CA?
The rate is higher, but the property values are far lower for similar properties.
What you need to look at is the total tax burden.
Here is a site that has some comparisons:
StateMaster - Total tax burden (per capita) (most recent) by state

This can also vary dramatically from one person to the next. But it is a good place to start.

Unread 01-22-2009, 08:48 AM

1,078 posts, read 2,336,077 times
Also, let me add. The chart measures "per capita". This can be deceptive. If you will notice that Wyoming is a high tax burden state. But Wyoming has no sales tax and no income tax. It's property tax is effectively average. But because the state collects a ton of tax from the coal and energy industries in the state and because the state has so few people, the effective tax burden per person is high. But each person is not paying these taxes, it is industry that is. That industry is charging that tax to all its's customers, who are nationwide.
Comparing what you or any person will pay in taxes is purely individualistic. I might be better off in Texas, while someone else might be better off in Hawaii or Calif.

Unread 01-22-2009, 08:52 AM

566 posts, read 1,173,055 times
I think Texas taxes are better especially for high earners. You will pay 1% property tax or $6000 per year on a $600,000 California home. Texans pay 2.5%. However the $600,000 CA home only costs $300,000 in Texas. So the Texan will pay $7500 in property tax compared to the $6000 paid by the Californian for the same house.

But California income taxes more than make up for the small difference in property tax. Assuming the average Californian pays $5000 per year in state income tax and the Texan pays no income tax the Texan pays less in total taxes.

Where the big problem lies for California is the way it taxes high earners. Become one of those targeted with California's 10.3% tax rate and Texas becomes much more attractive. And it's those in the 10.3% bracket that provide the capital to create new jobs. What is California thinking? Drive away those who are the most benneficial to the state? It's truly a case of wanting to eat the golden goose. Democrats wake up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California