U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 06:25 PM

41 posts, read 92,872 times

Advertisements

I grew up in the bay area and after college moved to Lake Tahoe (South Shore) and in the two years there my place was broken into twice (1971). Moved to St Helena in the Napa Valley. Too many "family obligations" had no private life. Moved with wife to Placerville and went to work for Sears as a service tech. Great time and had my two kids there. Got a promotion to service manager and transfered to Crescent City but wasn't allowed to manage my service dept. Only got to take a bunch of crap from my uppers and the customers. Came back from required vacation and found locks on door changed and was told I quit! Moved to Willits and after 3 years of the dope growers paranoia, I was finally in business fixing appliances. Wife who taught in local school moved us to Ukiah as schools were better. I was out of business. Got back into real estate. 10 months later sold 3 houses in 1 week. Wow $10,000 in comissions! Wife kicked me out. Moved back to Willits. Met new lady who was moving to Hawaii so I left my kids for a better life in a wonderful place. Established an appliance service and made good money and had a life! After 7 years, wife #2 decided that an old flame was more important than me so she left to persue a relationship with him. 6 Months later I met a wonderful lady on the internet. A dyed in the wool New Englander who could trace her roots back to Ben Franklin.
After 6 years in Hawaii she wanted to move back to New England so we sold our B&B and my appliance business and bought a self storage facility. I didn't realize that my new job would be snow shoveler 6 months out of the year. I was miserable not to mention my back issues. Besides that the town officials were a bunch of corrupt redneck scum. Also don't ever complain about Calif property taxes as mine in New Hampshire in the town of Ashland were $47.00 per thousand of assessed valuation and they assessed at full value! Sold that business as we paid more in taxes than we got for our share and attempted to move to Sarasota Florida where they don't have any concept of good food and real estate was double the cost of Hawaii!. After surviving 4 hurricanes that summer, we headed back to New England to recoup and continue looking for a new business. We found a great little town in southern Minnesota where we bought a wonderful 10 room inn. We have a great arts community much like Mendocino and the season which is from April through October is wonderful and as we are known for our 65 mile paved bike trail, the river for fishing and boating and our performing arts theater, we have consistant business even in spite of the economy. The only bad thing for me is the snow and cold as I have some back and foot issues. We usually leave for warmer climes in the winter. We never have to worry about locking the door. The worst annoyance is the cattle trucks smell and the one kid with Cherry Bomb mufflers on his truck. The school is top notch and the food out is good to supurb. We are listed as one of the top 20 small dream towns in America and now I see why.

As we are now in our 60's, the business is for sale as we both would like to move to a milder climate and the only place, after reading how much Calif has changed is Hawaii. Hawaii still is a much cheaper place to live than almost all of Calif. The crime is minimal and violent crime is mostly non existant as long as you don't live on Maui or Oahu. My dream of moving back to Calif is now busted!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 07:27 PM

1,383 posts, read 2,067,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haoleman View Post
I grew up in the bay area and after college moved to Lake Tahoe (South Shore) and in the two years there my place was broken into twice (1971). Moved to St Helena in the Napa Valley. Too many "family obligations" had no private life. Moved with wife to Placerville and went to work for Sears as a service tech. Great time and had my two kids there. Got a promotion to service manager and transfered to Crescent City but wasn't allowed to manage my service dept. Only got to take a bunch of crap from my uppers and the customers. Came back from required vacation and found locks on door changed and was told I quit! Moved to Willits and after 3 years of the dope growers paranoia, I was finally in business fixing appliances. Wife who taught in local school moved us to Ukiah as schools were better. I was out of business. Got back into real estate. 10 months later sold 3 houses in 1 week. Wow $10,000 in comissions! Wife kicked me out. Moved back to Willits. Met new lady who was moving to Hawaii so I left my kids for a better life in a wonderful place. Established an appliance service and made good money and had a life! After 7 years, wife #2 decided that an old flame was more important than me so she left to persue a relationship with him. 6 Months later I met a wonderful lady on the internet. A dyed in the wool New Englander who could trace her roots back to Ben Franklin.
After 6 years in Hawaii she wanted to move back to New England so we sold our B&B and my appliance business and bought a self storage facility. I didn't realize that my new job would be snow shoveler 6 months out of the year. I was miserable not to mention my back issues. Besides that the town officials were a bunch of corrupt redneck scum. Also don't ever complain about Calif property taxes as mine in New Hampshire in the town of Ashland were $47.00 per thousand of assessed valuation and they assessed at full value! Sold that business as we paid more in taxes than we got for our share and attempted to move to Sarasota Florida where they don't have any concept of good food and real estate was double the cost of Hawaii!. After surviving 4 hurricanes that summer, we headed back to New England to recoup and continue looking for a new business. We found a great little town in southern Minnesota where we bought a wonderful 10 room inn. We have a great arts community much like Mendocino and the season which is from April through October is wonderful and as we are known for our 65 mile paved bike trail, the river for fishing and boating and our performing arts theater, we have consistant business even in spite of the economy. The only bad thing for me is the snow and cold as I have some back and foot issues. We usually leave for warmer climes in the winter. We never have to worry about locking the door. The worst annoyance is the cattle trucks smell and the one kid with Cherry Bomb mufflers on his truck. The school is top notch and the food out is good to supurb. We are listed as one of the top 20 small dream towns in America and now I see why.

As we are now in our 60's, the business is for sale as we both would like to move to a milder climate and the only place, after reading how much Calif has changed is Hawaii. Hawaii still is a much cheaper place to live than almost all of Calif. The crime is minimal and violent crime is mostly non existant as long as you don't live on Maui or Oahu. My dream of moving back to Calif is now busted!
Man, that is a jam-packed, wonderful life!!!!
I see a book in your future!
Anyway,
The prices have fallen in California and your dream might still happen there are quite few nice little towns waitng for your life experienes and maybe a few broken down vaccuums.....lol.

Old 01-27-2009, 12:19 PM

Let this be a lesson to kids who go directly with living with mommy and daddy directly into marriage without getting out and seeing what's over the fence. I just can't sit still. I want to explore new things. Too bad my wife is so grounded! But...we have a great time anyway. Even if it is 30 below!
At least, our business is doing well here. I guess that's the advantage of living in a real estate time warp where nothing changes either up or down. Stuff here is about 20 % of the cost for similar real estate in Calif.

Old 01-27-2009, 05:20 PM

3,719 posts, read 7,122,870 times
Have you ever considered Oregon? We took our family on a trip there this past Spring and were seriously considering making the move there.

Brookings was my favorite beach town for scenic beauty and just a cool small town atmosphere. There is a nice harbor there and Samuel Boardman State Park. And the CA Redwoods are in your back yard. I told my wife this would be an awesome area to retire in. It was much nicer than than Crescent City on the the CA side of the boarder. It is also located in the 'Banana Belt' of the Oregon Coast meaning that it is generally warmer than the rest of the Oregon coast. Here are a few shots from our stay.

Derek

Old 01-28-2009, 08:31 AM

Yes, I lived in Crescent City for 2 years. Brookings is very expensive as it is out of the fog belt and beautiful. Also, not much work available there. I had looked at some B&B's there but were all over 1 Million dollars and the numbers don't support the real estate value and never have. I was there in 1974-76 My house on 3 acres located on Kings Valley Rd just north of the road to Smith River Redwoods Park cost me 40,000 and 2 years later sold it for 46,000. At that time homes in Brookings were over 100,000 and now are way up there in price. The biggest disadvantage is having to drive to Eureka or Medford for shopping if you need stuff and that's a 200 mile round trip. Also, medical services were virtually non existant back then. I remember standing at the airport in Crescent City with suitcase in hand as the plane made a low pass due to fog and having to jump in a cab to race to Arcata to catch my flights to LA for meetings. Loved the area but just wasn't convenient. I'm sure that has changed though. If you like seafood like crab and salmon, this is the place.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:33 AM

PS. Nice photos from an ex pro photog.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:36 AM

I just realized you're in Monterey! My old stomping grounds in the 60's when I was a dive instructor with the San Jose Flipper Dippers. Man, why would you want to leave? Is it that nuts there now that the scenery isn't worth the hassle of getting around?

Old 01-28-2009, 09:37 PM

3,719 posts, read 7,122,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haoleman View Post
I just realized you're in Monterey! My old stomping grounds in the 60's when I was a dive instructor with the San Jose Flipper Dippers. Man, why would you want to leave? Is it that nuts there now that the scenery isn't worth the hassle of getting around?
Well, actually we just moved here from CO. Although we loved the Rockies I just couldn't handle being that far from the sea any longer. Since I love nature photography (as a hobby) I was drawn to the PNW for its rugged beauty and diverse landscape. After visiting there with my family last Spring and checking out various neighborhoods we were ready to make to move.

Unfortunately my wife's sister is very ill and so my wife wanted to be closer to her (San Diego). So I told her the furthest south in CA I could go was Monterey. I have always loved Big Sur and Yosemite. Anyway shortly after that I was offered two positions in Monterey. So we came here instead of OR. And I really do love this area. It is gorgeous! The only downside is the cost of RE which makes Brookings or anywhere in OR look cheap by comparison.LOL... I guess price is relative. We have access to many things here including good Gov't jobs. And San Jose is only 1 hr away if anything else is needed. But we find Monterey has all the things we need, even a Trader Joes which we missed living in CO. Here are a few recent shots:

Derek

Old 01-29-2009, 09:37 AM

913 posts, read 1,589,214 times
These are beautiful photos Derek. Where were they taken? You are a great photog.

Old 01-29-2009, 12:20 PM

1,248 posts, read 2,101,425 times
Monterey is truly heaven on earth. That whole area is one of my favorite parts of the state, and those photos are spell-binding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California