U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 02-03-2009, 09:18 AM

10 posts, read 18,546 times
Default What about Calaveras County?

I was wondering if anybody else has anything to say about Calaveras County. I was especially interested in Valley Springs. What I love about what I have heard so far:

Mediterranean Climate
Lots of co-op type farms and local agriculture - love it!
Housing reasonably priced
Close to skiing and snowboarding
Living without snow, but driving to play in it!
Dry heat

But now , is there anything that an open minded, love the earth, ready for a change family from the conservative midwest needs to know about before bringing our young family to Calaveras County? What are the challenges of living there? Can you trust everything you read? Is it too good to be true (in relation to our isolated area, the Keweenaw Penninsula of Upper MI)?

I appreciate all realistic, honest input! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 02-22-2009, 02:31 AM

2 posts, read 2,022 times
Default Skiing in So. California

I'm a northern California girl that has recently moved to Southern California. I'm looking for some snowboarding.

According to this site Bear Mountain is the place for snowboarding. I guess it's got night skiing too. It should be nice to hear from someone first hand.

Ski Resorts: San Bernardino Mountain Ski Resorts California (US) - Snow Valley, Bear Mtn, Snow Summit

Ski Resorts: Mount Waterman California (US)

Actually the site is pretty informative. Maybe you might find it useful. But I still would like to hear first hand.
Attached Thumbnails
Warmth & skiing at the same time?-tina.jpg  

Unread 02-22-2009, 06:35 AM

26,365 posts, read 49,396,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotskier101 View Post

I'm a northern California girl that has recently moved to Southern California. I'm looking for some snowboarding.

According to this site Bear Mountain is the place for snowboarding. I guess it's got night skiing too. It should be nice to hear from someone first hand.

Ski Resorts: San Bernardino Mountain Ski Resorts California (US) - Snow Valley, Bear Mtn, Snow Summit

Ski Resorts: Mount Waterman California (US)

Actually the site is pretty informative. Maybe you might find it useful. But I still would like to hear first hand.
Bear Mountain (used to be Goldmine) is one of the better local ski areas. Still, for an extra two hour drive, you can be at Mammoth. Local areas are OK for one day of skiing especially if you are two hours or less away. If longer (like three hours), local skiing is a tough day of driving.

Unread 02-22-2009, 12:11 PM

15,022 posts, read 22,993,189 times
Mammoth is two hours from where? It's more than two hours away from where I live. It's more like 5 or 6 hours away.

Unread 02-22-2009, 03:31 PM

26,365 posts, read 49,396,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Mammoth is two hours from where? It's more than two hours away from where I live. It's more like 5 or 6 hours away.
Mammoth is two more hours (or three worst case) away than Big Bear is for a lot of people in the LA area. Meaning, if you can get to Big Bear in three hours, you can get to Mammoth in five hours. Depends on where you live and these are guestimates but Mammoth is world class and unless you are going skiing for one day, why go to Big Bear.

We spent $14/day (might have been $11, I forget) for lift tickets at Mammoth in 1977. The only way to the cornice bowl, climax, hangmans was the gondola, chair 23 opened in 1982.

Neat timeline here:

http://www.ownmammoth.com/community-history-of-mammoth-lakes-california.html (broken link)

Last edited by Charles; 02-22-2009 at 03:40 PM..

Unread 02-22-2009, 07:30 PM

15,022 posts, read 22,993,189 times
I'm going to Mammoth next week for 7 days to ski with a bunch of friends. We rented a condo, there are 4 of us staying in it, for $300 per person for the week! I can't wait!!!!!

Unread 02-23-2009, 01:56 PM

5,775 posts, read 9,886,375 times
Bear Mountain is not the same place as Bear Valley Bear Valley Mountain

Unread 02-24-2009, 01:27 PM

375 posts, read 1,111,455 times
I've been to the UP in MI. We went skiing at Powderhorn. I have friends that live in MI and WI.

Try El Dorado Hills, Shingle Springs, Placerville, Pollock Pines & other areas in El Dorado county. I don't think you will find anything for that price in Tahoe or Truckee with land. El Dorado has excellent schools, rated very high. It wouldn't hurt to check out the properties in South Lake Tahoe. There are some good bank owned deals in all of the areas.

Didn't CA just pass a law about Home Schooling? I know they are cracking down on it. So you might want to check into that.

Last edited by CADRMNDANES; 02-24-2009 at 01:42 PM..

Unread 02-27-2009, 07:42 AM

20 posts, read 47,566 times
um yea, you are close to both in cali

Unread 03-10-2009, 11:30 AM

2 posts, read 2,022 times
Thanks for the information... I'll keep you posted on my end. Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California