U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2009, 08:58 PM

2 posts, read 5,370 times

Advertisements

Hi!

I have been reading and researching about Bakersfield and its neighborhoods. Good and bad reviews have been helpful but I would like some more help.

Here is my scenario: Young empty nesters, husband's job may take us there. We live in a neighborhood near by malls, dept stores, restaurants, etc.
We are from NY, moved to VA. We like the pace here now but to adapt to different pace is fine. We are looking into renting in an area like the one we live now. Is there one? Am I dreaming?

I keep reading about NW but have not been able to find much info about apartment homes in that area. Would 93312 be the zip code for that particular area? Rosedale/Greenacres?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 08:30 PM

38 posts, read 146,392 times
I am from the Bakersfield area, and although I now live in Colorado, I go home frequently. There are many nice, newer, upscale subdivisions in the Stockdale/Rosedale area. One of the subdivisions that comes to mind is Seven Oaks; this is in Stockdale, right across the street from a newer outdoor shopping area that has a large movie theatre and upscale retail (Chico's, etc.). It's very centrally located, with a hospital very close by (Mercy Southwest) and many new restaurant options also close (PF Changs, California Pizza Kitchen, Elephant Bar, etc.). I'm not certain of the zip there, maybe 93311? Good luck in your search!

Old 01-31-2009, 08:31 PM

38 posts, read 146,392 times
I'm sorry - to add to my previous post: I didn't see initially that you're looking for an apartment. I don't know what's available in that area in the way of apartments, but perhaps you could try renting a house or condo in the area?

Old 02-02-2009, 12:24 AM

130 posts, read 508,771 times
seven oaks, or any "oaks" for that matter in bakersfield is generally a nicer area to buy/rent a house. advice: stay to the southwest and northwest, and at all costs stay away from the east (although there are nice spots here and there).

if your looking to rent and apt/condo/townhouse look on gosford road (runs north and south). you could even find a place on ming or white, but i would first look on gosford road. and if u can afford it, pay extra for living in a gated area, but...if u decide to rent a house, pay extra for an alarm. also....the zip code is 93311 (sw) and 93312 (nw).

as a general rule of thumb, i like to stay west of gosford road.

Old 04-03-2009, 01:55 AM

1 posts, read 3,963 times
I live & have lived in Bakersfield, CA all my life. Truthfully, there is a lot to knock it for, not the least of which is the air pollution. It has some of the worst in the nation. The good things that I repeatedly hear from visitors are that, one, for a metropolitan area, Bakersfield has a small town feel to it and two, it's geographical location is relatively close to mountains, beaches, and major cities.

An hour a way is the Tehachapi mountains, Kern River (river rafting), Lake Isabella (fishing & watersports) and Magic Mountain (amusement park). Two hours away is the beach & L.A. and five hours away is San Diego, Las Vegas, and San Franciso.

If you are a film buff, because of the diverse geography, major movies are often filmed in Bakersfield and Kern County. A few examples, Fatty Arbuckle & Lillian Gish each filmed silent movies here, John Wayne filmed some of "Stagecoach," the crop dusting scene in "North by Northwest," Clint Eastwood's "Every Which Way..." series, a lot of Jurassic Park, the airport scene in "Speed, were all filmed here in Kern County. Probably the most recent film is J.J. Abrams "Star Trek."

As far as zip codes go, some of 93309 (SW), most of 93311, 93313, 93314 and some parts of 93312 (all NW) are probably your best bets. 93301 & 04 are mostly the center of town (local government buildings and the oldest part of town), 93303, 5, & 6 are all east Bakersfield (older part of town), 93307 (SE) and parts of 93308 (N) are probably the most poverty stricken part of the city. Unfortunately, the old timers divide the city up by race. If you are curious about this, let me know.

I hope I haven't given you too much info but if you have questions please ask. Good luck!

Last edited by hldnmyown; 04-03-2009 at 01:56 AM.. Reason: Formatting

Old 04-27-2009, 12:31 AM

107 posts, read 221,517 times
Thumbs up Great profile of Bakersfield. Good job hldnmyown!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hldnmyown View Post
I live & have lived in Bakersfield, CA all my life. Truthfully, there is a lot to knock it for, not the least of which is the air pollution. It has some of the worst in the nation. The good things that I repeatedly hear from visitors are that, one, for a metropolitan area, Bakersfield has a small town feel to it and two, it's geographical location is relatively close to mountains, beaches, and major cities.

An hour a way is the Tehachapi mountains, Kern River (river rafting), Lake Isabella (fishing & watersports) and Magic Mountain (amusement park). Two hours away is the beach & L.A. and five hours away is San Diego, Las Vegas, and San Franciso.

If you are a film buff, because of the diverse geography, major movies are often filmed in Bakersfield and Kern County. A few examples, Fatty Arbuckle & Lillian Gish each filmed silent movies here, John Wayne filmed some of "Stagecoach," the crop dusting scene in "North by Northwest," Clint Eastwood's "Every Which Way..." series, a lot of Jurassic Park, the airport scene in "Speed, were all filmed here in Kern County. Probably the most recent film is J.J. Abrams "Star Trek."

As far as zip codes go, some of 93309 (SW), most of 93311, 93313, 93314 and some parts of 93312 (all NW) are probably your best bets. 93301 & 04 are mostly the center of town (local government buildings and the oldest part of town), 93303, 5, & 6 are all east Bakersfield (older part of town), 93307 (SE) and parts of 93308 (N) are probably the most poverty stricken part of the city. Unfortunately, the old timers divide the city up by race. If you are curious about this, let me know.

I hope I haven't given you too much info but if you have questions please ask. Good luck!
I lived in Central Valley area for a collective 4 years or so, and based on my experience, accounts of what I heard from my friends, relatives, etc. of Bakersfield, and my recent rather extensive research (seriously thinking of moving back to the area), this is perhaps one of the best summaries (or housing profiles) of the Bakersfield area! Very helpful! Good job hldnmyown
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California