Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2007, 09:24 PM

217 posts, read 1,000,946 times

Advertisements

Hi All. Iv'e been looking around and I can't find any posts for Red Bluff. If anyone has some info for me, I'd love to read about it. Thanks, skitow
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2007, 10:22 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,064,700 times
Since no one answered up for you Ill jump in..

I looked at Red Bluff before Redding... what I found was

1) Quaint small older downtown

2) Very hot dry dusty land

3) Cowboy mentality with some illegal pickers thrown in

3) Not much going on.. everyone used to drive to redding before Wal Mart showed up there

4) Didnt have enough life or zip for me and as I was single then certainly not enough women with teeth

Its changing.. everywhere around here is

Old 03-16-2007, 02:47 AM

Default Thanks officer

Hi. Thanks for the info on Red Bluff. I guess I didn't post well to get any response. But you said it like it is, and that's what I was looking for. Just another city to scratch off my list. Thanks again, I appreciate your post. Stay safe, skitow

Old 03-16-2007, 02:53 AM

Default officer

That just cracks me up!! not enough women with teeth. I can't stop laughing! Take care, skitow

Old 03-16-2007, 06:44 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,064,700 times
I try to be careful.. but a lifetime as a policeman has me looking at places under the surface
what are the hazards,,,

crime.. pollution.. weather

what does it offer

culture (and that is lacking here but getting better) education (little to none in red bluff.. everyone goes north to redding), amenities,, and Im not talking Saks 5th,, Im talking basic amenities
Recreation.. well RB is on the Sacramento River so there is some recreation.. the boat drags are held there (noisy so for me thats a detractor)
life... RB rolls up after 7 pm... no movie theatre,, no production company..etc etc.. just some country western bars,,, not really my idea of a fun saturday night,, watching wanna be cowboy youngsters get drunk and then fight it out in the parking lot

I really shouldn't bag on a place Ive never lived,, but its kinda like fire,, don't need to experience it to know I dont want to

As I stated someone else might have an entire different read

We joke about women with no teeth,, but come to an area where meth was the traditional drug of low lifes and you'll know what I mean

Old 04-05-2007, 12:13 PM

33 posts, read 213,638 times
You all have the bad idea of Red Bluff. Sure there are some women without teeth, and some areas are dusty, but you can find that anywhere. It certainly isn't dry dusty because Red Bluff is in the California valley where it's greed, duh, and the boat drags go for a few days and never go through the night so I don't see how that is bad thing, actually it's a good thing because it gives people a distraction. I don't know if you all have ever seen Red Bluff because you sure didn't describe Red Bluff.

Old 04-06-2007, 02:43 PM

362 posts, read 1,114,886 times
Default Red Bluff

Red Bluff is my hometown. I've lived in several other communities in other states and can honestly say that all have their own set of pluses and minuses. On the plus side, Red Bluff has pretty mild/comfortable (Meditteranean West Coast climate) weather for three of the four seasons. Summers can be brutally hot. But its truly a dry heat as compared to the midwest or south, and it generally cools off to low 70's on those July/August nights.

Red Bluff occupies an enviable landscape-positioned on a bluff overlooking a cool, shaded river, with mountains forming the backdrop in three of the four cardinal directions. The nearby mountains provide ample recreational opportunities. Varied destinations such as the coast, Reno or Tahoe, Napa Valley, or to the several national forests/parks are within an easy day's drive.

Now, there's not a lot of cultural opportunities in RB. Oh, there is a multi-screen theater, a small local stage group, and some art and garden type associations, and of course the "World Famous" Palomino Room (Kudo's to Doug Reed). There's no Philharmonic Orchestra, or opera company-but what would you expect from a non-college town of about 13,500?

I for one don't believe people don't seek out small towns for their culture-they chose them for the slower paced lifestyle and traditional values. Of course, eventually enough urban refugees move in to change the community character-demanding upgraded services, culture, etc., so that the locals no longer feel part of the community. That transformation is slowly occuring-even in Red Bluff.

For now anyway, Red Bluff is still considered a "Cow Town"; what with the Round-Up and the Bull Sale being the most notable local events. That's OK for those of us who were born and raised here-in fact its a source of pride. Anyone else can either chose to live here because they like that characterization-or they can opt for someplace more urban. To each his own...

Old 04-10-2007, 01:38 AM

9 posts, read 49,193 times
When we decided to move to this area last year, we looked at everything between Red Bluff and Redding (my husband works at hospitals in both locales.) I have country roots and my husband is a city slicker from Oakland. Redding was where we ended up....I got 125 acres, he got mountains, pine trees, and the river. Though I have been diligently clearing land for pasture.....LOL.

Anyway, I agree that the lifestyle is the reason to move to the country. "High culture" does not abound....but San Francisco is an easy day trip....so you get the best of both worlds here.

I personally love Red Bluff/Cottonwood/Anderson....women without teeth? Probably....saw plenty of them in Oakland, too. Rednecks getting in fist fights at the local bar? True, too....but better than gangbangers on shooting sprees, in my opinion. If you enjoy a place where the f-word isn't dropped indiscriminately in front of children in public places, where gentlemen hold doors open for ladies, where people wave to passerby (whether they know them or not,) and where people aren't afraid to help stranded motorists, then Red Bluff might be a great choice for you.

Best, Bridgette

Old 04-10-2007, 07:02 PM

1 posts, read 15,606 times
I don't mind your dissing Red Bluff if it keeps the snobs away. We moved here 11 years ago from the San Fernando Valley ... the weather is here is about the same but this place is blessed with a slower pace, lots of fun things to do, Lassen is about an hour away, and the art groups here are mighty!

It is unbelievable to me that a place like this still exists ... reminds me of the 50s in the SFValley. Polite people, helpful people, people who can still enjoy the simple life and simple things. As others have said, if you want "culture" go to San Francisco for the day or a break, but believe it or not Rodeos and Championship Fiddle contests are a form of culture, too. There are many types of championships held here ... the boat races, rodeo championships ... and not just local, but national. And those big tired truck thingys, too!

Love this place!

Old 04-10-2007, 11:18 PM

18 posts, read 87,411 times
Smile What about Red Bluff?

I live in Red Bluff and it's a smallish town, cute in a Victorian way, has some nice aspects, the River, a summertime swimming pool on the river, but it is Verrrrry Hot in the summers about 110 to sometimes 120 and the bad part is that it will go this way for a couple weeks at a time, and sometimes it won't get cooler in the evenings, except down to 80's. so you'd better have good air conditioning, which many people don't, they have swamp coolers, which don't do a thing over 100. well, just to let you know the real deal....it can be a nice town, depends on what you like, it has some little bit of culture, arts and an old Theatre that they are trying to renew and have more venues, but it's moving pretty slow, and it's seeming to me to have a lot more boom boom cars, you know the rap songs, booming so loud you hear them coming three blocks away, and we have a little gang problems, have had some young people killed, which is always so sad...well there is a Rodeo in April which is the big deal in the town, as it is originally a rancher town, and it's about 75 years old, they always run the horses from a ranch in town on Main St. and it can be pretty exciting for the kids..so it all depends on what you like...Me, i'd like to move, but that's just me....im originally from Ventura County, and the weather there can't be beat, i've just gotten used to this weather somewhat, but i still don't like it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California