U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 11:04 AM

22 posts, read 99,101 times

Advertisements

Moving from MI...in a few months...and I can't afford much of Cali!...I've been reading up on Redding,Chico...and so on..is it pretty reasonable? is there work? Stable economy?..good place to live...hows the crime??? help! someone tell me about it! And where's the right place to go!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2007, 09:41 PM

3,744 posts, read 3,408,781 times
Theres a long post already about Redding..
I have lived here for about 7 years,, retired from so cal

It is very very hot in the summer.. can be rainy in the winter
there numerous recreational activities and opportunities
the economy is minimum pay scale unless you are county or medical
its a nice place to live
its getting busier/costlier by the year
it has fairly good amenities
it has a great small airport for commuting to San Fran and points worldwide
it is still in some ways steeped in the good ol boy attitude in government.. it seems if you "know" someone you can get ahead... be on the outside.. wait in line
it is a poor county... by cali standards...
the schools are.. well.. its california.. schools here are troubled.. everywhere.. dont be fooled by posts that say they arent.. they are
its fairly safe.. but thats dependent upon personal awareness and responsibility.... meth is the drug of choice here.. and marijuana growing just surpassed humbolt county... you would probably never encounter it...
we have forest fires.. sometimes big ones.. every year.. its a regular part of life.. but we have way fewer earthquakes than so cal.. or the bay area

Im ready to leave california after 30 years of loving and living here... illegal immigration sucks.. and is sucking the life out of this state... beware rest of the country,, it is coming to you soon enough

Im biased.. get other opinions please

Old 03-15-2007, 10:17 PM

Thank you so much, I lived in SoCal for 8 years...hated it! to say the least! But my mother wants me back in Cali..so i told her i would look into the northern parts...i'm also considering..OR,WA,CO,ID...so thanks again!

Old 03-16-2007, 07:53 PM

1 posts, read 15,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kburton View Post
good place to live...hows the crime??? help! someone tell me about it! And where's the right place to go!
Whatever you do, don't move into the Sacramento Valley (e.g. Yuba City, Marysville, Roseville, Sacramento.) The crime is horrendous. Rape is way higher than the national average. Women are scum in the culture there. You need to understand that northern California is populated with displaced Oklahomans and Texans. They are racist folks, believe you me. If you ain't white - if you ain't christian - if you ain't a man...or if you have daughters...don't risk that area. Rape is NOT taken seriously by the local law enforcement. They still believe that if a woman is raped, <i> she musta been askin' fer it.</i>

Chico is a little safer...and of course moving to the hills...Grass Valley...places like that...safer.

Consider Nevada...

Old 03-16-2007, 11:10 PM

thank you, being a woman...that hits hard!....i'm still thinking and researching.Won't move without everything accounted for! thanks again!

Old 03-17-2007, 11:58 AM

1,900 posts, read 1,815,460 times
I would say that Joan Bennings post is not to be taken seriously.

Take for example her statement that Chico is a little safer. Less Rednecks, more drunken college boys, take your pick.

There may be valid reasons not to pick Yuba City, or Marysville, or East Nickolas, but the chance of being raped is certainly not in the equation.

The largest population of Sikhs outside India is in the Central Valley, dark skinned, turban wearing somewhere around 100,000 of them. If what she says is true then these people would be at risk, yet, they are quite accepted, they have been farming the Valley for a hundred years.

Like most folk anywhere, you will be accepted based on how well you are accepted.

All that said, Chico is the nicest central valley town, attractive, great amenities, and a progressive segment of the population, combine all that with the home of Sierra Nevada Beer, and you have a fine town, a bit warm in summer though.

Old 03-17-2007, 01:17 PM

107 posts, read 950,535 times
I used to work in Sacramento, at the Sac Bee, and I loved the area! I never felt unsafe. Certainly never felt that I was looked down upon because I was a woman!

Personally, I like Sacramento better than Chico. More culture and things to do, and liberal-minded people.

Old 03-18-2007, 06:47 PM

840 posts, read 2,044,265 times
Woodland is much better then Chico ..as its much closer to sac(8miles away) .....yet you live in small community which is diverse

Old 06-21-2007, 08:41 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,367 posts, read 8,564,209 times
Default It's all relative...

to what you're looking for. We're from liberal Seattle and bought a place in Paradise, CA (near Chico) last year. And yes, Butte County (& surrounding) does seem to have quite a few folks of the "hillbilly" persuasion, especially from Oklahoma, Arkansas, etc. as Ms Benning mentioned previous (FYI, a local social worker explained to me that the county used to have a very generous welfare program). So culture and politics are naturally going to be much different than, say the Bay area.
But on the other hand, housing is still relatively affordable, it's not too crowded, and you certainly won't experience the kind of traffic problems that are common elsewhere in California. And whether it's macho rednecks, suburban wingnuts, PC liberals, or just overbearing yuppies, you'll always run into 'challenging' neighbors wherever you go. But you'll probably meet a few nice folks too.

Old 06-22-2007, 08:09 AM

675 posts, read 4,248,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan Benning View Post
Whatever you do, don't move into the Sacramento Valley (e.g. Yuba City, Marysville, Roseville, Sacramento.) The crime is horrendous. Rape is way higher than the national average. Women are scum in the culture there. You need to understand that northern California is populated with displaced Oklahomans and Texans. They are racist folks, believe you me. If you ain't white - if you ain't christian - if you ain't a man...or if you have daughters...don't risk that area. Rape is NOT taken seriously by the local law enforcement. They still believe that if a woman is raped, <i> she musta been askin' fer it.</i>

Chico is a little safer...and of course moving to the hills...Grass Valley...places like that...safer.

Consider Nevada...
What? Don't go by what this guy says, please. Especially...Roseville? Come on!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or