U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 10:06 PM

9,729 posts, read 18,436,223 times

Advertisements

If the new state budget is passed ca sales tax will increase 1% to 8.75%.The vehicle license fee will double. This is not temporary like those bums in sacramento say. Its something how we have to pay for their greedyness & stupidity.We are already # 1 in taxes & now its gonna get worse.You may not think 1% tax hike is nothing but it is. Ca is well known as being a greedy state & the dmv proves that...ugh!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 11:03 PM

5,113 posts, read 17,466,345 times
the state sales tax will go up, but effectively, the tax will still be less than some places. LA county for instance will be 9.75%, which is still less than Cook County, Illinois(Chicagoland area) at 10%. CO has a 2.9% state sales tax, but Denver County is up over 8%. Vehicle fees are also much higher in CO.

I'm not saying I'm for this stuff, but things aren't always as they seem at times. As it stands right now, CA is 9th on total tax burden per capita, which isn't too bad considering the where the state is politically. Basically, it's not as bad as it could be, and for that I'm happy. I'll continue to petition my congressperson to stop spending and taxing in the mean time, while I continue my plans to get the hell out of California

Old 02-11-2009, 11:27 PM

11,715 posts, read 35,974,570 times
I'm not sure tax load per capita is a fair metric to use given how many dirt poor people there are here not paying anything. I'm more interested in the tax burden on a middle income person trying to own a home and support a family and that's pretty damn high here.

You mentioned Colorado and that's a state I've been looking into too. The sales tax in most areas is a little higher than LA/OC but not much. The car registration fees are about the same as in California or slightly higher. Income tax is a flat 5% compared to California's that starts out low but hits the 7-9% brackets by the time you're making enough to get out of your parent's house. Colorado property tax is pretty low too. I believe its about .65-.8% compared to California's 1%+ and of course the tax basis is much lower so you can get a nice family house in the suburbs 30 minutes from work and only pay $1500-$2500/yr where you'd pay 2-4x that on a similar house here.

Old 02-12-2009, 12:15 AM

1,632 posts, read 1,610,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
the state sales tax will go up, but effectively, the tax will still be less than some places. LA county for instance will be 9.75%, which is still less than Cook County, Illinois(Chicagoland area) at 10%. CO has a 2.9% state sales tax, but Denver County is up over 8%. Vehicle fees are also much higher in CO.
Can we please get truthful and real and compare apples to apples, shall we? According to this web site, CA is #1 in sales tax BEFORE the budget increase and WILL GET HIGHER! Not local tax, not county tax, not city tax, STATE tax. Sales tax is a regressive tax, meaning it will hit lower and middle income more than higher income households.

By the way, same web site says we're #2 in gas tax (New York is #1).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
I'm not saying I'm for this stuff, but things aren't always as they seem at times. As it stands right now, CA is 9th on total tax burden per capita, which isn't too bad considering the where the state is politically. Basically, it's not as bad as it could be, and for that I'm happy. I'll continue to petition my congressperson to stop spending and taxing in the mean time, while I continue my plans to get the hell out of California
I agree, things aren't always what they seem. They can be worse! CA is #1 in personal income tax (highest rate starts @ $45K!, guess you're "rich" if you make 45K in CA!), highest corporate tax rate in CA, 48th in business climate. Despite what libs moan and whine about Prop 13, CA still pays AVERAGE property tax, NOT LOWEST (28th), meaning property owners are NOT REALLY GETTING A BIG BREAK in CA, despite what liberals constantly spin on...

God, can we please stop the spin and tell it like it is, just once? I am so sick and tired of this f'ing b*lls**t about how Californians don't pay enough taxes and the state doesn't get enough revenue. Read this carefully!

CALIFORNIA GETS MORE THAN ENOUGH REVENUE! IT JUST SPENDS IT WAY WAY WAY TOO MUCH! BUT YOU WILL NEVER HEAR THAT THROUGH THE TV OR NEWSPAPERS OR CA TEACHERS UNION ADS!!!

Whew, got that off my chest... I'll calm down now...

Old 02-12-2009, 03:38 AM

3,853 posts, read 11,669,473 times
Quote:
CALIFORNIA GETS MORE THAN ENOUGH REVENUE! IT JUST SPENDS IT WAY WAY WAY TOO MUCH! BUT YOU WILL NEVER HEAR THAT THROUGH THE TV OR NEWSPAPERS OR CA TEACHERS UNION ADS!!!
Yup, that is what liberal policies get you. CA is a welfare state. Our largest expenditure is the education sector. You know, all that downsizing classes really cost a pretty penny. Not to mention our schools rank among the worst in the nation. All those illegals flooding up the place. I don't blame them for coming though especially if someone is stupid enough to give a free lunch on their dime.

I am glad I am relocating in two years! Good riddance CA! I might come back on vacation but no way in hell am i going to live here. The 5k I don't pay in taxes is well worth the move not to mention the better job opportunities elsewhere. Who the hell wants to start a business in CA? Not many.

CA is well on its way to becoming the next detroit. Expect crime rates to spike.

Old 02-12-2009, 10:07 AM

6,797 posts, read 6,321,464 times
Most cities and counties are also looking at raising sales taxes. I would not be surprized to see average sales taxes in the 10-11% range before all is said and done. That is only the begining. The goverment has hundreds of ways to extract money from the taxpayers and they are going to use every one of them to pick our pockets. People just do not understand that all the money being given away and spent by goverment is going to have to be paid back by you and me. It is going to get very very ugly. Wise up and tell your representatives to stop spending and stop raising taxes. They cannot fix this problem by giving away money that has to be paid back by the people who did not cause the problem to begin with. Their idiotic atempts at an easy fix wil only cause the depression to be much worse and much longer than it would have been if they had alowed it to run it's natural course. Your future and the future of your country is being ruined by greedy bankers and corrupt idiot polititions.

Old 02-12-2009, 10:27 AM

13,784 posts, read 23,815,442 times
Overview of what appears to be the draft budget agreement, including tax increases and budget cuts:

Tentative California State Budget Deal Reached - cbs5.com

Old 01-28-2011, 10:49 AM

964 posts, read 2,352,375 times
Here's a neat tool to show the effects of cutting services and adding taxes on the state deficit. Lots of sliders, easy to do "what if" analysis.

Los Angeles Times: California budget balancer - latimes.com

Old 01-29-2011, 08:15 PM

4,811 posts, read 8,817,192 times
We have been sold he repeated rhetoric that taxes are a horrible un-American insult to democracy. Bull hockey! Is this a society that pays for what we buy or just hopes that the other guy will pay the bill when the check comes to the table? You don't get anything for free except insults. If we desire to live in a society that is responsive to our needs for security, reliable infrastructure, economic growth and many other rational needs, then we have to face facts that those things cannot be sustained without payment.

I managed to balance the budget by cutting 1-2% in most programs across the board with the exception of public safety items (no early out for criminals). I then raised taxes on everything to a similar percentage with the exceptions to gas, cigarette and alcohol. Hardest hit was alcohol and cigarettes with about 25% increases to both followed by a 10% increase to the gas tax. All existing temporary taxes were extended with all corners of the community ( including business) turning over a few more coins.

Time to tighten the belt, buy your candy at Target and smuggle it in to the movies so we can afford to pay the CHP officer that is pulling over the next Ted Bundy ( Bundy was originally stopped for a traffic violation that lead to the discovery of evidence of his murders). Your choice!

Old 01-30-2011, 02:53 AM

2,311 posts, read 2,889,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoBlue View Post
We have been sold he repeated rhetoric that taxes are a horrible un-American insult to democracy. Bull hockey! Is this a society that pays for what we buy or just hopes that the other guy will pay the bill when the check comes to the table? You don't get anything for free except insults. If we desire to live in a society that is responsive to our needs for security, reliable infrastructure, economic growth and many other rational needs, then we have to face facts that those things cannot be sustained without payment.

I managed to balance the budget by cutting 1-2% in most programs across the board with the exception of public safety items (no early out for criminals). I then raised taxes on everything to a similar percentage with the exceptions to gas, cigarette and alcohol. Hardest hit was alcohol and cigarettes with about 25% increases to both followed by a 10% increase to the gas tax. All existing temporary taxes were extended with all corners of the community ( including business) turning over a few more coins.

Time to tighten the belt, buy your candy at Target and smuggle it in to the movies so we can afford to pay the CHP officer that is pulling over the next Ted Bundy ( Bundy was originally stopped for a traffic violation that lead to the discovery of evidence of his murders). Your choice!
MOD CUT

You obviously don't understand human behavior and markets if you think you can just jack taxes on someone and give some sob story about how you have to 'pay' out the nose for what one group of people feel is important . Businesses and people will just leave you clown. What happens when an economic downturn hits ? and all your revenue disappears? Oh no... then you're screwed ... There's a reason why you don't have bloated/central/huge govts. Pick up a book and see how countries that are ran like this fare ..

You're out of your bloody mind bro

Last edited by NewToCA; 01-30-2011 at 12:00 PM.. Reason: personal attack
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California