U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 03:26 AM

3 posts, read 9,365 times

Advertisements

I am really surprised by all the bad hype Lompoc gets. I recently moved here and my husband and I love the small town feel. The fact that we are so close to a lot of great wineries is also very cool.. We think this town has potential to grow with some savvy marketing and residents who write positive reviews. With new business owners coming into town and Realtors who should market to SB workers to buy nice homes for a lot less and make the commute this little sleepy town could really blossom!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2010, 04:17 AM

20 posts, read 30,547 times
I joined this site strictly because of this thread. Lompoc is by far, the most miserable, gloomy, depressing, and stifling little place I've ever seen. And I've been everywhere. I lived in that miserable Valley for many years, and couldn't get out fast enough. I actually attended schools there and can attest to the fact that it is definitely NOT the place to raise children. Unless you want them to become low-life, bottom-feeding, basement-dwelling, mouth-breathers.

The town is overrun with meth addicts, pot smokers, breeders, and wannabe thugs/gangsters. There is absolutely NOTHING for the youth to do, other than attend house parties where they get drunk, do drugs, and get pregnant.

The town has some eerie power over it's inhabitants in that they are either incapable of leaving, or are completely delirious and don't wish to escape. When you move to Lompoc, you either end up stuck here for an overwhelmingly miserable number of years, or you end up being dragged back into this circle of hell by unforeseen circumstances. Whether it be a wedding, or a family visit, people do tend to come back, and it's always as miserable as the first time you laid eyes on it.

The townsfolk suffer from an inexplicable, total lack of motivation to succeed or be anything more than what they are, where they are. Very few actually make it out and stay away. I've not been a resident of the town since 2002, but I have had the displeasure of returning a number of times since my departure. Most recently in June for the wedding of a very close friend. Needless to say it was the most miserable trip I've taken all year.

The sun didn't come out in the sky until about 1pm everyday, as is typical of this dejected part of the Central Coast, and the town shut down, as always, at nightfall. The Nazi SS, aka Lompoc PD, were camped out in their usual places at what used to be the Red Foxx, (I haven't a clue of it's current name) and what used to be Lennies. Also, as I understand it, operating under a new moniker of which I have no idea. True to form, fights broke out at both bars, and the Nazi SS was there to cart the miscreants off to jail, to be reunited with their brethren.

A little about the neighborhoods:

Mission Hills - The land that time forgot. Homes are all overpriced, and are of 1950's era construction. There are more rust-bucket relics of cars parked in yards, overgrown bushes, trees, weeds, and derelict people than one would care to count. However, for the most part it's quiet, and uneventful as is the rest of the town.

Mesa Oaks - Probably the most desirable part of the entire town. But the real estate is obscenely overpriced. Streets are clean, lawns well manicured, and the residents care about where they live. They have a snobbishly aristocratic aire to them, which I find to be fitting considering that they are surrounded by blight and worked hard to buy their overpriced sliver of Earth there on that miserable little hill.

Vandenberg Village - Most desirable area for the "regular folk" who can't afford the nobility of Mesa Oaks or the recently built La Purisima Highlands. Truly a beautiful area, when the sun is shining, and the locals are all tucked away in their houses. Cleaner streets compared to in-town Lompoc, and Mission Hills. You can still see a decomposing relic parked in a yard or two, but far less frequently as in Mission Hills. If this area were transplanted to a new place, it would be far more desirable.

As for In town Lompoc, Probably the most desirable area to live, if you'd be relegated to existing in that god-forsaken town, is the area by Beattie Park. The homes are all older, but decent, and the lawns are well groomed and the inhabitants are of the elderly variety. Snob Hill is what it's called I believe.

Stonebrook and The Meadows are decent communities, but as previously mentioned, ALL areas are overpriced. In comparison with other parts of California, some would beg to differ, but when you consider the location and surroundings, the value quickly plummets.

So with all things considered, I would STRONGLY advise AGAINST going to Lompoc, or any place within a 20 mile radius of the town.

I anticipate the hate I'll get from this post. But before you begin to bang away at your keyboard with a response, re-read what I said and REALLY think about it. Then tell me I'm wrong. I DARE you.

Old 11-08-2010, 03:12 AM

3 posts, read 9,365 times
Why bother? Overpriced? You're off your rocker. Lompoc has the cheapest Real Estate price, especially for the area. Compton, Lancaster, Santa Clarita, Boyle Heights are infested with meth addicts and the such.
As far as the cooler climate.... people usually move to areas like these for a reason... they like the weather. The valley... you hate as well. What's wrong with you? Burbank,Toluca Lake and Studio City are charming towns. Based on your comments regarding overpriced homes you probably lived in Van Nuys or North Hollywood.
If this town is so corroded with drug addicts and gangsters I would think having a police dept who patroled the streets at night is what tax payers want.
You contradict yourself every other paragraph. Funny, as I continue to meet my neighbors no one has ever commented that we live on nobhill. I will say the view from hillside home is quite beautiful and the price we paid .... well, we thought we got it for a steal.
Some business acquaintances who have never lived outside the Central Coast told me similiar stories, yet after coming to our House Warming Party and then meeting our new friends who own local wineries now have a completely different outlook on this sleepy little town.
By the way, I have lived in many different cities and states. People make choices where they live based on their current living status. Young and single, you probably will hate this town. No night clubs, no shopping. Santa Barbara is a better fit.
Lastly, no matter where you live, there will always be negative comments. Either it's boring, overpriced, land of the rich and famous or maybe it truely is a neighborhood (compton, boyle heights) where (unless a successful gangster, drug dealer) you really don't want to live.
I will say this, if you drive through a town and hang out at night I promise no matter where you are looking to call home you will know if that is place for you or not. That's why we all have gut instincts.
Cheers!

Old 11-08-2010, 08:41 PM

Default You're Funny...

Quote:
Originally Posted by visionfor2morrow View Post
Lompoc has the cheapest Real Estate price, especially for the area.

The valley... you hate as well. What's wrong with you? Burbank,Toluca Lake and Studio City are charming towns. Based on your comments regarding overpriced homes you probably lived in Van Nuys or North Hollywood.

If this town is so corroded with drug addicts and gangsters I would think having a police dept who patroled the streets at night is what tax payers want.

Funny, as I continue to meet my neighbors no one has ever commented that we live on nobhill. I will say the view from hillside home is quite beautiful and the price we paid .... well, we thought we got it for a steal.
Some business acquaintances who have never lived outside the Central Coast told me similiar stories, yet after coming to our House Warming Party and then meeting our new friends who own local wineries now have a completely different outlook on this sleepy little town.
By the way, I have lived in many different cities and states. People make choices where they live based on their current living status. Young and single, you probably will hate this town. No night clubs, no shopping. Santa Barbara is a better fit.
Lastly, no matter where you live, there will always be negative comments. Either it's boring, overpriced, land of the rich and famous or maybe it truely is a neighborhood (compton, boyle heights) where (unless a successful gangster, drug dealer) you really don't want to live.
I will say this, if you drive through a town and hang out at night I promise no matter where you are looking to call home you will know if that is place for you or not. That's why we all have gut instincts.
Cheers!
Well allow me to retort!

The first line in your response is simply reiterating what I stated in my initial post. As I stated, in comparison with other cities in California, when referring to the "value" of real estate in Lompoc, some would beg to differ with my opinion on Lompoc's real estate being overpriced. However, when ones surroundings and proximity to anything entertaining are taken into account as well, that "steal" you refer to in your post is significantly less valuable.

You clearly aren't very familiar with the Lompoc area, because if you were, you would know that it's also known as Lompoc Valley and Valley of the Flowers. My reference to "The Valley" was not a reference to the areas surrounding Toluca Lake.

My reference to the Lompoc's Finest also lets me know that you aren't familiar with the area. Any and everyone familiar with that town knows that when you need 3-5 squad cars for a routine traffic violation, or you pull guns on motorists in front of their homes, while said motorist is driving a convertible vehicle and has their hands raised already when you stop them, you either have an overzealous police force, or a police force with nothing better to do than to harass and suspect, not serve and protect. For this reason, I like to call them the Nazi SS.

I THINK WE HAVE A WINNER!!! Newsflash slick, your NEIGHBORS won't refer to the area as Snob Hill because guess what? THEY'RE the SNOBS!!! And now, YOU'RE one of THEM!!! Step outside of your bubble and talk to OTHER townsfolk. Don't tell them where you live, just ask about the various neighborhoods and see what they tell you.

I'm sure I won't be around to tell you "I told you so!" but that love you feel for the "Small town feel" of Lompoc, will eventually wear off, and you'll be just like all the rest of the people there. You clearly didn't heed my warning a re-read my original post before you sat at your keyboard and responded. I have over 10 years of experience with that town. As an adult, and as a teenager, a child, and a student. I've lived outside of the Central Coast, all over California, and all over the globe. If Lompoc had positive attributes, I would have listed them, but unfortunately, that sleepy little town falls short in that area.

Try Again!

Old 11-20-2010, 06:13 PM

97 posts, read 533,872 times
Default rock.city has rocks in his head

hey Mr. rock, so why do you feel you have to join city-data just to slam and abuse people who disagree with you? I can only judge from your screen name that you live in some desert paradise like Pahrump or someplace, huh?

how about using some of your great intellect to solve the problems of the world and leave us the hel* alone.

Me? I just (3 hours ago) came back from a couple weeks out of state and AM VERY HAPPY to come home to Lompoc.

Old 11-20-2010, 08:25 PM

4,883 posts, read 7,301,771 times
When I lived in Santa Barbara everyone refured to Lompoc as "lompton" (as in Lompoc combined with Compton) because it was considered a dirty ghetto.

Old 11-20-2010, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
When I lived in Santa Barbara everyone refured to Lompoc as "lompton" (as in Lompoc combined with Compton) because it was considered a dirty ghetto.
You mean like the east side of Santa Barbara?

Old 11-20-2010, 08:36 PM

6,390 posts, read 7,630,911 times
Quote:
Lompoc is by far, the most miserable, gloomy, depressing, and stifling little place I've ever seen. And I've been everywhere.
My guess is that you missed Gabbs, Nevada.

Old 11-20-2010, 09:23 PM

I must be psychic!

Hey, re: Lompoc, I'm not the chamber of commerce or anything and would be the first to criticize the city for having more than it's share of slums. It's certainly struggled with a transition over the last 15 years or so as more and more "taxpayers" move up to Mesa Oaks and Vandenberg Village as new housing comes on the market and get replaced downtown by "taxspenders". The community though at least to me includes the entire valley which includes the "slums" but also the gorgeous homes on the southside, the homes around the Village Country Club, Mesa Oaks, the newer developments on the north, west and southside of town AND the older developments which are still the homes of many very fine people who make their individual contributions to making our town a really nice place to come home to.

The point in the post about the east side of SB is to suggest that even our uppity and elitist neighbors in the south can deny it all day long but they have their slums, too! I read with dismay about what's going on down there along Milpas. Yeah, their gang problems are finally making it into the news!

Old 11-24-2010, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregJ View Post
hey Mr. rock, so why do you feel you have to join city-data just to slam and abuse people who disagree with you? I can only judge from your screen name that you live in some desert paradise like Pahrump or someplace, huh?

how about using some of your great intellect to solve the problems of the world and leave us the hel* alone.

Me? I just (3 hours ago) came back from a couple weeks out of state and AM VERY HAPPY to come home to Lompoc.
I don't feel that I slammed or abused anyone. Stop crying. We're all adults here, right? My screen name refers to my home of Detroit. You're close with Pahrump, but no cigar. I live in Las Vegas.

How about instead of begging to be left alone, you take my great intellect and wisdom to solve the problems of the miserable town you live in? I notice you didn't address any of the points I made. You know I'm right, you just couldn't sleep knowing that someone had your town pegged for the hole it is.

Now I'm slamming you and being abusive. CHEERS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California