U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 09:45 PM

1,749 posts, read 7,667,886 times

Advertisements

I visited an elderly great-aunt there for years. My take on Lompoc: windy, no entertainment whatsoever, whole town looks like a trailer park, far from everything and it's on the way to nothing. And it's windy. And windy. On the plus side, I never saw evidence of criminal element, although Lompoc residents didn't exactly challenge my intellect. This is all purely subjective. There are many better places to live. In many ways, Lompoc reminds me of Oklahoma.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2007, 11:08 PM

1,390 posts, read 2,142,068 times
"I visited an elderly great-aunt there for years."
Me too. For 34 years. Did not have the pleasure of meeting great-auntie.

"no entertainment whatsoever"
Not necessarily a bad thing. Some folks prefer DOING as in camping, hiking , cycling, fishing surfing, etc., as opposed to being entertained.

"And it's windy. And windy."
We get it. We get it.

"whole town looks like a trailer park"
There very well may be some trailers in town, but please see thread about why some people feel the need to exaggerate.

"far from everything and it's on the way to nothing."
An ideal location for those who treasure their privacy, yet have Santa Barbara to the south and Pismo Beach to the north.

"Lompoc residents didn't exactly challenge my intellect."
Sounds as if somebody needs a lot of external stimuli

"This is all purely subjective."
News flash. Forum opinions are subjective.

"There are many better places to live."
Minus points for stating the obvious.

"In many ways, Lompoc reminds me of Oklahoma."
Let me guess. It's windy and windy and windy and...

Old 03-19-2007, 03:04 AM

1,749 posts, read 7,667,886 times
[quote=JustPassinThru;472017]"I visited an elderly great-aunt there for years."
Me too. For 34 years. Did not have the pleasure of meeting great-auntie.

Her name was Leona, she did hair. I'll leave off the last names for obvious reasons...

Old 03-19-2007, 01:37 PM

1,260 posts, read 4,670,789 times
Default Lompoc is....

Its not really awful, but its not paradise. We have lived here 5 yrs, and
are ready to pack up and head back to New Mexico. Too damp,windy,
dismal here. Lots of days you dont see the sun till noon. Homes are way
overpriced, and with property taxes, its just INSANE. We crave hot,sunny,
dry weather, so Lompoc falls short on all 3 of those. Some people love
it here tho, the weather suits some to a tee!

Greenchili

Old 03-24-2007, 12:55 PM

1 posts, read 10,776 times
What about the area around the prison? I just found out yesterday that I'm transferring out there. My wife and I are really excited. The weather looks like it'll be nice.

Old 03-25-2007, 10:37 AM

Default Prison area...

Hi
The area directly around the prison has no housing except for the
prison employees housing which are trailers. You would either live in
Lompoc or Santa Maria. The prison is located in a beautiful area, not
that the inmates appreciate that. I live in Lompoc but
just sold my house. Hoping to relocate to New Mexico. Lompoc
is expensive as far as housing, and so is Santa Maria. Its not
a bad place to live, just too costly for us,and we like hot dry weather
too much. Lompoc is NEVER hot.

Greenchili

Old 03-25-2007, 11:33 AM

142 posts, read 515,349 times
We visited Lompoc at LEAST 8 times over the years
with an eye to moving there one day in the near future.

BUT..our last visit was the deciding factor against it.

We purposely chose the week of the Flower Festival
Parade..

what a let down it was.. we did not expect the Rose
Parade in Pasadena, but we did expect something
worth the trip... the floats were not presented
beautifully, the 'parade' was dismal, and we left
before it was over.

Aside from that, we found LITTER was everywhere
and I was out picking up trash off the grass at the
motel where we stayed... and this was 2 days BEFORE
the Festival. (I have an obsession about grass being
kept clear of litter...lol).

The janitor or whoever did the groundskeeping, was
most lax, as even found empty beer and whiskey
bottles outside of the entry to the Inn.

The town is run-down, and the only pretty part
is the field of flowers and the Mesa Oaks homes
at the end of town.

That is my take on Lompoc. A business man did
tell us that one year it was so cold in the wintertime,
that there were icicles on the tree branches.

Now, New Mexico: Carlsbad has some appeal
in its brochures about River Bend (a retirement
complex on the Pecos River) but have never been there.

Old 03-25-2007, 06:23 PM

676 posts, read 2,796,836 times
My husband and I could no longer afford living in Santa Barbara and we were also tired of renting. People close to us tried to convince us to stay by saying it is less expensive to live in Lompoc. We both without hesitation thought if we had to settle for Lompoc to stay in CA, we would rather move out of state for something nicer and truly affordable. Things can get skewed in the higher end locations like Santa Barbara and it can cause people to think $400, 000 condos are affordable to live in less than desirable areas. Call me a snob, but I just never felt Lompoc or Santa Maria. I also would never want to send my child to public school there. There are far worse places to live than Lompoc, but in my opinion it isn't worth the economic struggle to maintain a life there. On a positive note, Lompoc is a very close drive to many beautiful areas.

Old 03-25-2007, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enlightenme View Post
My husband and I could no longer afford living in Santa Barbara and we were also tired of renting. People close to us tried to convince us to stay by saying it is less expensive to live in Lompoc. We both without hesitation thought if we had to settle for Lompoc to stay in CA, we would rather move out of state for something nicer and truly affordable. Things can get skewed in the higher end locations like Santa Barbara and it can cause people to think $400, 000 condos are affordable to live in less than desirable areas. Call me a snob, but I just never felt Lompoc or Santa Maria. I also would never want to send my child to public school there. There are far worse places to live than Lompoc, but in my opinion it isn't worth the economic struggle to maintain a life there. On a positive note, Lompoc is a very close drive to many beautiful areas.

This is SO very true!!! You hit the nail on the head

Greenchili

Old 03-25-2007, 10:31 PM

2,818 posts, read 9,907,977 times
Default Plus the commute

Quote:
Originally Posted by enlightenme View Post
Another reality those who move from Santa Barbara to Lompoc or Santa Maria to own rather than rent have to face is the commute. It's 75 miles one way from SM to SB. Yikes! Granted, from Lompoc it's only around 40 miles one way, but you have to travel that very deadly two-lane section of PCH. I've heard many complaints and regrets over the commute after moving. And God help you if there's an accident on the 101 at, say, Gaviota, or anywhere on the 154. You're gonna' be late!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California