U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 05:20 PM

2 posts, read 8,981 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to relocate to California and are searching for an area with nice weather (we'd like to avoid the 100plus days in summer, but not freeze in the winter) and purchase around an acre of land. Does such a place exist?
Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2007, 05:41 PM

3,040 posts, read 10,425,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mg347 View Post
My husband and I are looking to relocate to California and are searching for an area with nice weather (we'd like to avoid the 100plus days in summer, but not freeze in the winter) and purchase around an acre of land. Does such a place exist?
Thanks for your help!
There aren't very many places like that around California. Your best bet would be to try somewhere along the coast. To find a place with an acre or so of land, I'd recommend somewhere along the central coast, since anywhere south of there is too developed. Check places like Santa Maria, Arroyo Grande, Nipomo, Cambria, San Luis Obispo, etc. This area has a very mild climate, where the temperature seldom drops below 30 deg. (F), and rarely hits 100 deg. (F). I am not sure about any areas where you would be able to find 1 acre lots, though, so I'll let others chime in about that.

Old 03-18-2007, 06:35 PM

840 posts, read 2,043,067 times
two towns
PRUNDALLE and Aromas
both have a real country felling with good temp year round...next to monterey,carmal etc
your looking at 700,000 to 800,000....market is real slow at this moment

Old 03-18-2007, 10:11 PM

26 posts, read 114,231 times
Your best bet is Nipomo, the most mildest climate in all the US with most days avg 75 degrees. I live here and there are a ton of available homes with 1 acre parcels. They begin around $750 on up to $975 for newer large centex homes in upscale developments. There are 3 golf courses in Nipomo. Arroyo Grande and Nipomo are the only coastal areas with affordable acreage that I know of. Slo has acreage but is further inland. This might be really high cost of living for you but prices have fallen here and stabilized so now is a really great time to buy. I'm working with several buyers from SoCal that want acreage and here is grade AA prime land!

Old 03-18-2007, 10:12 PM

1,749 posts, read 7,667,886 times
That's a tall order with your parameters. How much are you prepared to spend?

Old 03-18-2007, 10:13 PM

2,909 posts, read 12,973,621 times
Lots of very cheap land in north CA. Ive seen prices as low as $10,000 for semi-rural land to over $250,000 for cleared land in a residental community. Hope this helps.

Old 03-19-2007, 12:06 AM

3,040 posts, read 10,425,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CentralCoastAdvisor View Post
Your best bet is Nipomo, the most mildest climate in all the US with most days avg 75 degrees. I live here and there are a ton of available homes with 1 acre parcels. They begin around $750 on up to $975 for newer large centex homes in upscale developments. There are 3 golf courses in Nipomo. Arroyo Grande and Nipomo are the only coastal areas with affordable acreage that I know of. Slo has acreage but is further inland. This might be really high cost of living for you but prices have fallen here and stabilized so now is a really great time to buy. I'm working with several buyers from SoCal that want acreage and here is grade AA prime land!
If these prices are out of reach, there are some areas that are further inland and less expensive, but at the expense of being slightly to quite a bit warmer and/or colder. The mountain areas are generally less expensive, but do get colder in the winter. The inland valleys are also generally less expensive, but tend to get hotter in the summer. I guess it all boils down to how much you are willing to spend, and making a decision based on that.

Old 03-19-2007, 12:17 AM

6,413 posts, read 9,104,557 times
As I have said before on other threads here, there is affordable property here in Humboldt county, especially McKinleyville. And you can still find acreage here , the whole town is unincorporated yet has all of the services. The schools are great and one can find a one or two acre property with a small home for $300,000 and up and a large estate on acreage starting around $500,000 .There are even one and two acre lots in my neighbor hood that sell in the $500,000 range with an ocean view. I own a half an acre with 3 bed, 3 bath , 2 car garage that would sell on the market for $325,000 to $350,000, I am within 1/4 mile of the beach and have an ocean view. The jobs are not plentiful here, but there is a State University for jobs plus small industry and business jobs. The beautiful weather, mountains, rivers and low population more than make up for the seclusion. Oh, the gas prices are high, but if your job is local , there is low traffic and short commute times. Google McKinleyville , Eureka or Arcata California to check out the population, low crime rate, good schools, and inexpensive real estate. When I moved here 15 years ago it felt like I had moved not only 350 miles north but 30 years into the past. Life seems to be slower and friendlier here, old fashioned even.

Old 03-19-2007, 05:22 PM

2 posts, read 8,981 times
thanks so much for all the info, it really helps to narrow the search. we live in northern nj now so sadly 700-800 doesn't scare us off, especially when it comes with beautiful weather and nice views as opposed to being in suburban nyc traffic.
thanks again

Old 03-19-2007, 05:49 PM

1,209 posts, read 4,245,525 times
If price is not a huge factor, you might look in San Diego County. Rancho Sante Fe is extremely beautiful but expensive. Some of the cities in north county have acre or more parcels that are more reasonable. Vista, San Marcos, Escondido, Fallbrook, and Valley Center all have homes available on 1-10 acre lots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or