U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 10:08 AM

19,126 posts, read 15,159,584 times

Advertisements

I've noticed that the vast majority of people complaining about how horrible California is are from Southern California....coincidence?

I rarely hear people from where I live (central coast..and that includes working class people like myself, not just 'the rich') complaining about it.

What about Northern California? Doesn't seem like there's a whole lotta people on this thread bitching and complaining who call Northern California home. Maybe Southern California sucks and the rest of the state is still a pretty darn nice place. I mean, traffic is a non issue where I live, as is overcrowding, vain materialistic people (although, we do get the Poly Dollies..but they're in a league of their own ) and many other things that people seem to be complaining about.

I'm pretty happy living where I do, on the coast of California.

Old 03-22-2010, 01:08 PM

6,488 posts, read 7,615,710 times
I suppose it depends on your tastes, too. Bay area has always been cramped and crowded by my standards, and I've always hated it with a passion. Conversely SoCal used to be open and with plenty of uncrowded space yet, despite having way more people than the Bay area. I think as it's changed it has annoyed the people who liked it how it was -- it's become much more mall-oriented, cramped, crowded, and rushed than it used to be even just 20 years ago, and the changes have made it feel much more like the Bay area than it used to.

My sister lives in the Bay area and likes it. She hates SoCal. No accounting for taste.

Old 03-22-2010, 04:56 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,223,114 times
Hey Reziac,

Here we go with the 'chip on their shoulders rag' again! People who have no compassion for those that are subject to discrimination, always try to fall back on that lame, tired old phrase. And what Frederick Douglas had to say decades ago, has NO relevance, regarding the facts of discrimination in today's society.

Your remark regarding Asian females being favored for college scholarships in California, exposes you as just another disgruntled white male, who thinks women and minorities get unfair advantages. Well, it's about time that women and minorities, get equal access to higher education. Just because these groups are finally getting their due, doesn't mean that they're being admitted to college, without their grades being taken into consideration.

You white males have to realize, that it's high time that women and minorities, get equal access to education and jobs. And your belief in a media 'plot' that Michael Moore, and other progressives use to encourage racial hostility, just doesn't hold up. You just have no real proof of that. So you may as well give up harping on it.

Old 03-22-2010, 05:53 PM

10,406 posts, read 13,949,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I've noticed that the vast majority of people complaining about how horrible California is are from Southern California....coincidence?

I rarely hear people from where I live (central coast..and that includes working class people like myself, not just 'the rich') complaining about it.

What about Northern California? Doesn't seem like there's a whole lotta people on this thread bitching and complaining who call Northern California home. Maybe Southern California sucks and the rest of the state is still a pretty darn nice place. I mean, traffic is a non issue where I live, as is overcrowding, vain materialistic people (although, we do get the Poly Dollies..but they're in a league of their own ) and many other things that people seem to be complaining about.

I'm pretty happy living where I do, on the coast of California.
Considering Southern CA has the majority of Ca's population it isn't really a coincidence that more people complaining will be from there. Way more people overall and more diversity of opinions and experiences. If you're a nature lover Central and Northern CA are much better places but they're somewhat boring places overall if that's not your thing. Not all of Southern CA is the same either, many people seem to try to stereotype Southern CA as basically LA with all the problems it has. Everyone I know seems to enjoy living here in SoCal along the coast, if one has to live far inland I can see why it may not be nearly as pleasant.

Old 03-22-2010, 11:23 PM

2,831 posts, read 3,395,433 times
One of the downsides of living in LA, is you're zoned to all these far flung courts if you get called for jury duty (or if a family member gets called, and you have to take them).

I think its part of the california mentality of making things as hard as possible on people. Take them to areas they're unfamiliar with, dont live by, low pay, herd you in, sound familiar?

I've had the luck for the last few days of taking someone to the downtown LA court. Geniuses down there!

-No where to park easily
-No where to stop
-A few blocks south of the court, no stopping after 4, and the court gets out at 4-5. Perfect!

I dont know every inch of the area, but they dont make things very easy. Imagine someone not well versed in LA traffic manuevering down there. Thankfully it's only til tomorrow and wed, then we're done.

Old 03-23-2010, 10:08 AM

7,173 posts, read 18,572,972 times
I think this thread has served it's purpose....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California