Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 04:18 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,023,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heiwos View Post
I melt in such weather! (Seattleite here.) When I land in California in the summer, I immediately head into the fantastic Sierras to get to cooler temps. I visit lowlands only during other times of the year. I used to live in L.A. with its heat waves & winds, and my perma-tan. Now I'm a sun weenie.
My husband and I were married in an outdoor wedding in June here in the desert. All of his relatives are from the SF Bay area, and I thought they were going to pass out! LOL. I was like "what ... it's only 100 degrees right now!"

Wedding day - worth several thousand dollars.
Seeing relatives melting in the SoCal sun - priceless.

Old 02-24-2009, 04:24 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,017,733 times
I like living in California, but hate everything else about it, which negatively impacts my experience. If I could find one great thing about California life besides the size of the paychecks, I'd be at least satisfied, but I can't.

Traffic - horrible. Even now with unemployment skyrocketing it seems the same amount of non-carpoolers are crunched on the freeways going to work. Stupid people drive like maniacs and get into accidents which delay traffic even more. People don't understand how to drive in the fog or rain, and cause even more problems.

Job availability - horrible. Thousands applying for a single job because they're desperate. There aren't enough jobs per adult. That's one big sign of overpopulation.

Attitudes - horrible. I've said it before: the rudest, crudest, most inconsiderate, disrespectful bunch that I've ever met, live in California. I'm talking simple things like getting mad because you got a parking space before they did to more advanced things like racial epitaphs because you're not a speed demon.

Prices - horrible. My parents bought their four bedroom house for $89k 25 years ago. It could sell in this market for over $600k. The house isn't the big deal; the land is. And this is in the ghetto, mind you.

Logistics - horrible. I'm talking about the way the city is designed. Some areas are designed fairly decent (Carmel Valley), but the majority of the areas are clearly slapped together to try and meet growth demand (La Jolla).

On and on.

Old 02-24-2009, 04:57 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,467,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post

Attitudes - horrible. I've said it before: the rudest, crudest, most inconsiderate, disrespectful bunch that I've ever met, live in California. I'm talking simple things like getting mad because you got a parking space before they did to more advanced things like racial epitaphs because you're not a speed demon.
Racial epitaphs...What?

Ralph Featherfoot
born:1934
died: 2006

"He was a slow white bastard, God rest his lethargic soul"

Old 02-24-2009, 05:03 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,152,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
Californians, past and present, do you consider the state of California a great (maybe, even spectacular) place to visit, but terrible place to live? Moreover, with a population of more than 36 million inhabitants, and growing, how could one consider this state an undesireable place to live? Who's moving here? Further, to those whom left California for "greener pastures," do you regret your move from this political constituent? And, for people who have moved to California, has this state exceeded or underwhelmed your expectations?
I guess it depends on where you live, and how much money you have. I lived in the central valley, and did not enjoy it much. There are many places that are nice to visit, and probably nice to live, too, if you can afford it. We could not, so we left.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:00 PM

166 posts, read 489,748 times
With the high cost of living, I'd not consider going back there in this economy. I've known too many people with high-paying jobs, who after they lost them were in immediate jeapordy of losing everything else. And although the housing is coming down in price, it's still unaffordable right now for the majority of people. I don't mind rentals though, so maybe when those come down a bit also I'll go back out there. Until then I think it's a great place to visit.

And of course California is so big that there are many differences between various areas. My experience was mostly limited to the Bay Area.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:44 PM

12 posts, read 48,789 times
I love California and only left for my husband's job. I have lived in the bay area, oceanside, and san diego. The great thing about living in those places is that you have everything, you want to go to the beach, its right there, you want to go to the mountains, there right there too. Yes traffic is a nightmare and the cost of housing got way out of control and even though it is coming down, it's still too high, but I wouldnt want to live anywhere else and cant wait to get home.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:43 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,017,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve97415 View Post
Racial epitaphs...What?

Ralph Featherfoot
born:1934
died: 2006

"He was a slow white bastard, God rest his lethargic soul"
Speech to word engine couldn't understand me. Racial Epithet.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:22 AM

3,257 posts, read 6,125,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
Californians, past and present, do you consider the state of California a great (maybe, even spectacular) place to visit, but terrible place to live? Moreover, with a population of more than 36 million inhabitants, and growing, how could one consider this state an undesireable place to live? Who's moving here? Further, to those whom left California for "greener pastures," do you regret your move from this political constituent? And, for people who have moved to California, has this state exceeded or underwhelmed your expectations?

It is great to live if you have the money to live here. IT can be a good place to live if you have a job and make decent money.

I know i think about leaving, but then i remember how much i love it here and how the cultural experiences will not follow me to hillbillyville. Not sure I could handle the narrow mindedness that lives outside California.

Still a great place to visit AND live.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:30 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,436,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
It is great to live if you have the money to live here. IT can be a good place to live if you have a job and make decent money.

I know i think about leaving, but then i remember how much i love it here and how the cultural experiences will not follow me to hillbillyville. Not sure I could handle the narrow mindedness that lives outside California.

Still a great place to visit AND live.
Isn't it narrow minded to think that the rest of the country is all narrow minded hillbillies?

Old 02-25-2009, 11:38 AM

1,687 posts, read 6,071,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Isn't it narrow minded to think that the rest of the country is all narrow minded hillbillies?
My thoughts exactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California