U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 11:10 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,204,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechDude View Post
Whoa! Is this for realz?

Hilo rain average...
http://pics.city-data.com/w3/prc4718.png (broken link)
It rains mostly at night and it helps keep everything lush and green.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2007, 03:45 PM

2,109 posts, read 5,126,909 times
We are going to plop down somewhere and start/takeover a Dental practice. So I would even be open to moving somewhere more rural as long as it has nice weather, possibility for growth(doesn't everywhere in CA?)

ehh... not exactly. Actually the problem with CA right now is that the entire state is very overpriced. You will not be able to have anything close to a comfortable middle class lifestyle if you're a dentist. The other problem is that the state is actually in a period of stagnation. Prices will likely be coming down for years, albeit slowly.So in order to buy, you will need to make sure you can do so on real income and not some hocus-pocus loan product.

All and all, you'd be better off either in the Midwest or Southeast.

Old 03-23-2007, 12:25 PM

10 posts, read 35,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post

All and all, you'd be better off either in the Midwest or Southeast.
So why aren't you in the Midwest or Southeast?

Yeah I know those are the "safe" places. They just aren't as pretty. Like I've said I've been all over. The southeast is too hot/humid/rainy in the summer and some parts even get snow in the winter. Once in a while a lot of snow except for Florida. Also the people in the southeast are "stuck" in time a little bit. Their "Southern Charm" isn't all that. They aren't as open minded. IMHO. The midwest only really has a couple "good" places to live like Chicago, Minnesota and I really can't think of any other. And weather in those places suck. Can you CA people even fathom being locked in your house from Nov to March?... Also you do know that Michigan is at a lowest of lows compared to the rest of the country don't you? Employment, economy, house values, people moving out, and of course the weather... So MI is not good at all. Houses may be cheap but you get nothing along with it. Nothing.

:Sigh: I knew this is going to be a tough process... Let me ask this then. Where in the Continental U.S. has the best weather and the best opportunity for house values to go up? Texas? Man I didn't like it there either... Too many pick up trucks with gun racks and the landscape was too boring.

Last edited by TechDude; 03-23-2007 at 12:44 PM..

Old 03-23-2007, 12:43 PM

4,406 posts, read 5,457,151 times
Quote:
Whoa! Is this for realz?

Hilo rain average...
http://pics.city-data.com/w3/prc4718.png (broken link)
Yes, Hilo gets ALOT of rain. I know they've gotten over 30" in one month. Your roof will be metal because it's the best material for this amount of precipitation.

Last edited by mhouse2001; 03-23-2007 at 12:59 PM..

Old 03-23-2007, 12:52 PM

I know Grosse Pointe and environs is nice. It's sad that Detroit is falling faster now that the automakers are hurting. Rural California is stunning in parts and I would suggest those areas for practical reasons (better for your line of work, I'd imagine). I'm not hopeful on the housing market in California or the rest of the country for that matter. The debt bubble and loan defaults are just beginning. I expect housing to decline by at least 10% and perhaps as much as 30%, but then again, I'm a pretty negative guy when it comes to the US economy right now. Temecula is a pretty area. The area northeast of SF (wine country, Napa, etc) is great but probably too expensive as the entire Bay Area tends to be. San Luis Obispo is highly regarded. Palm Springs is scenic, touristy, hotter than Phoenix, and a mecca for both retirees and gays. If you have no desert experience, please visit before you decide! You might also consider places in Oregon like Bend which is growing rapidly and maybe even Boise. Both have climates that are more moderate than Detroit's, and are highly regarded on quality-of-life rankings. I myself live in Phoenix where many Midwesterners have relocated. Arizona is a haven for people from the middle of the country and you might find similar refugees from Michigan. (I went to UM-Ann Arbor). Good luck!

Old 03-23-2007, 12:59 PM

Quote:
:Sigh: I knew this is going to be a tough process... Let me ask this then. Where in the Continental U.S. has the best weather and the best opportunity for house values to go up? Texas? Man I didn't like it there either... Too many pick up trucks with gun racks and the landscape was too boring.
Sorry for all the posts, I wish I'd read all of them before I started! If you're looking for equity, I'd look at Bend OR (on the dry side of the Coast Range), Helena MT (I know it's cold, but prices are skyrocketing according to my reading, and it is a beautiful city), maybe even Boise ID which has the best weather of these. I don't think anything in CA will appreciate. News reports I've read indicate that those areas that experienced a huge increase will be the same that fall the most. I too agree about the South and Texas, I know from coming from Michigan myself, I never felt comfortable there. The West is Best.

Old 03-23-2007, 01:10 PM

1,732 posts, read 3,974,086 times
Hi Techdude,I was wondering how far will you be willing to travel to the Beach and Mountains,and what type of Weather you like ?

Old 03-23-2007, 03:35 PM

595 posts, read 1,018,116 times
Default TO, Rancho, and Folsom

Are all lovely places in different ways. Palm Springs gets soooo hot in the summer, being inside all day seems a waste of summer, to me.

TO always is rated high as a nice place to raise a family but it's pricey, Folsom is actually quite historical lots of newer colleges in the area. Some of the states most highly rated school districts are in the Sacramento area.

I've heard good things about Rancho, too.

Good luck!

Old 03-24-2007, 09:18 AM

635 posts, read 1,145,087 times
the most bang for your buck out of the cities you are considering would be rancho cucamonga. the area is still booming and is commercially groing too. the housing market here has peaked and prices are not climbing as they were

Old 03-24-2007, 11:47 AM

2,015 posts, read 4,654,544 times
Techdude, you nailed it right on the head! I also am a professional (former public accountant (now entrepreneur since 1999), husband is a pharmacist - we live in NE OH, have lived here most of our lives; barring a short several year stay in S. CA (we moved back to NE OH to have our kids, be near family - that was 24 years ago; most family is gone now and it's time to move on to another chapter). I was not born in the U.S., rather in Europe; I long to live (again) in a place that has a variety of people, variety of geography, religion, beliefs. As far as the weather, you got that exactly right. Can people fathom staying indoors from November until almost April (in the colder states) or Spring through Fall (in the hot, humid states)? No, thank you (as far as I'm concerned). Thanks for speaking up because many of us who have lived in other places (and can "semi-afford" to live in CA - have our reasons. We know that lifestyle and enjoying one's life comes with a price; what doesn't. Wishing you and your family the very best in the future.

Quote:
So why aren't you in the Midwest or Southeast?

Yeah I know those are the "safe" places. They just aren't as pretty. Like I've said I've been all over. The southeast is too hot/humid/rainy in the summer and some parts even get snow in the winter. Once in a while a lot of snow except for Florida. Also the people in the southeast are "stuck" in time a little bit. Their "Southern Charm" isn't all that. They aren't as open minded. IMHO. The midwest only really has a couple "good" places to live like Chicago, Minnesota and I really can't think of any other. And weather in those places suck. Can you CA people even fathom being locked in your house from Nov to March?... Also you do know that Michigan is at a lowest of lows compared to the rest of the country don't you? Employment, economy, house values, people moving out, and of course the weather... So MI is not good at all. Houses may be cheap but you get nothing along with it. Nothing.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or