Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 08:35 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,020,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
CA already has a seven year probation, I understand it was going to raise to ten years soon.
Alcohol Anonymous will not work with the state as they do state "Anonymous".
The state uses other alcohol classes the cost the driver way more.
A first offense will cost about $10,000
Great, but I guess the focus of my argument is that the cost of getting the license (back) should also be there and greater than the ~$29 they currently charge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve97415 View Post
OMG! That's not your sincere estimate of the state population is it? You're short by 30 million people! And that's critical to understanding what's causing the budget crisis. It's an overpopulation crisis. 37 million people and projected to hit 50 million by 2020. The sheer tonnage of human flesh in the Golden State is breaking the budget.
I guess you missed the part where I acknowledged the possibility of inaccuracy. Bottom line is, even with 7 million, there's a LOT of money to be made. With over 30 million at the same percentage of infraction, that's even more money and justification for changing the way we fine people. Stop raising taxes and start getting people to abide by the letter of the law, and if not, fine 'em.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2009, 10:22 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,465,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
For 100,000 people = $160,000,000. That's a LOT of money, and that number of people is extremely small and likely would end up much higher.
$160 million down, $39.84 Billion to go......

Old 02-28-2009, 10:47 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,020,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Investor2 View Post
$160 million down, $39.84 Billion to go......
Remember, that's just ONE round of infractions. Even conservatively:

100,000 infractions per day X 240 days (rounded number of working days in a calendar year) x 1,600 average fine amount per ticket = $38,400,000,000

As you can see, a LOT of profit that nearly eliminates the state deficit. And again, I'm using very conservative numbers. If California's population exceeds 37 million, and you assume roughly a third of those operate a motor vehicle, that's about 12.3 million. Assuming a compliance percentage of about 80%, that's...what...a little under 10 million? Leaving a little over 2 million, ballpark, that break one or more driving laws. Then you get money so high it could put a dent in our country's deficit. With CONSERVATIVE numbers and no raised taxes.

Old 02-28-2009, 11:01 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,612,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
great, but i guess the focus of my argument is that the cost of getting the license (back) should also be there and greater than the ~$29 they currently charge.
$10,029

Old 02-28-2009, 11:09 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,397,025 times
You're planning on funding a $0 billion deficit by doubling a few traffic fines?

Old 03-01-2009, 12:32 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Somebody doesn't understand the Constitution. Ever hear of the House of Representatives?
My thoughts exactly. The Senate is in place to make sure that the rights of the state are kept and not the population of the state. We do have more members of Congress than any other state because the House of Representatives is set up for the population issue. Before 1913 we the people did not vote for our Senators. The State Government elected or appointed the State Senators. Back then it was a true check and balance system of Government. Senators were beholden to the state that sent them to Congress and not to the people of the state. Members of the House of Representatives were beholden to the people in their geographic area that elected them. The Senate (back then anyway) looked out for the interests the entire state, while the Representatives looked out for the interests of the people that elected them to office.

Old 03-01-2009, 01:28 AM

301 posts, read 1,511,100 times
A $300-$400 fine for a burned out tail light? That's brutal.

And requiring everyone to retake the driving exam every year? Do you work for the DMV? Only a DMV worker would like that plan.

Old 03-01-2009, 02:21 AM

3,735 posts, read 8,067,624 times
A DMV worker wouldn't like that plan because they don't like to work. The lines would be more ridiculous than they are now.

Old 03-01-2009, 03:08 AM

34 posts, read 68,342 times
I think it's a good thread you started here... but let me add something I read, borrowed from Fareed Zarqawi, and you can add accordingly.
(There are many factors which can probably be attributed to the State's budget woes, but here are some of the more salient ones...)
The State allows its populace to vote-in laws, while at the same time has, historically, been cutting taxes at a disproportionate rate, time and again. You have to keep in-mind that every time we the people (who are oblivious to the State budget) vote-in laws, we effectively alter the State's spending situation dramatically (more laws require more money in every which way--some laws lower spending, but for the most part, to initiate a law requires more State spending).
California's voter initiatives effectively stymies a balanced budget by redirecting funds around from one directive to another, in a very arbitrary way. Also, in addition to the tax cuts, the State Senate requires a two-thirds vote to pass tax increases (unlike most other States), which also make it difficult to increase revenue, as the number of Republicans in the Senate make getting that two-thirds damn near impossible.
So, in my humble opinion, here we are, and it's been a long time coming. (Same can be said about the entire nation and the foreclosure crises that found us where we are.)

Old 03-01-2009, 03:24 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,023,427 times
The ignorant,greedy idiots in sacramento should legalize & tax prostitution.If those morons could impose a breathing tax they would.I can see why ALOT of people in ca hate politicians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California