U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 02-28-2009, 02:47 PM

1,987 posts, read 2,798,318 times
Default I could easily resolve California's budget crisis. Within a matter of months.

I'm going to put this out here and some of you will think it's a radical, quite frankly silly solution. But no more radical or silly than anything that the government has proposed:

- Increase state income tax
- Increase state and local sales taxes (which already happened, at least the local ones)
- Implement more various fees
- Tax gasoline (didn't pass, but was proposed)
- Layoff state workers
- Release prisoners to the streets

Now, all of these solutions were and are burdensome on the middle and lower classes, because they're not clearly excluded from paying that money. It's just a desperate attempt to get more money, rather than a rational attempt at balancing the budget. What the budget misses out on is the opportunity to not only fix our economic situation, but also clean up our state and the issues that permeate it. Such a solution would require beefing up the police force state wide, but it would be worth it in the long run if done properly.

I think California has over 7 million citizens. I know my number might be off and that's fine. Let's say for the sake of argument that's the number though, I'm not feeling like getting the exact number. Let's say that of that number:
- 3 million are licensed drivers who own a vehicle. Of that number, let's say 1 million are illegal immigrants. Let's also say that another 1 million (this part is stretching, likely) have a criminal record/outstanding warrant/probation violation. Of that million, let's throw out a 100,000 figure for those that were arrested, and subsequently released, for DUI/DWI.

The one thing California has failed to do so far is enforce the law, ironically. What they've missed out on, is that by enforcing the law and applying fines to its enforcement, they kill two birds with one stone: get some money we would not otherwise have and discourage further violations of the law. Let's look at some of these laws using some of my figures.

Hands Free Driving: A fairly new law that is not actively enforced, for two reasons. One, the penalty is not strong enough to deter people from doing it. Two, the police do not have enough staff to truly enforce it. Change this law to implement (A) a $400-per-ticket fine, and (B) points on the record. Treat it as severely as you'd treat speeding or running stop lights/signs, because quite frankly they've said the danger is comparable. Post police officers at ramps and whatnot, on the lookout for people with their cell phone to their head and not using hands free, and pass out those tickets.

Other Driving Laws (or as I refer to it as, the "Traffic Efficiency" Ticket): We already have steep penalties for driving laws but don't enforce them. Cops don't really pull people over unless they're speeding or driving erratic. Make the police explicitly look out for these infractions and ticket them, no matter how small. And I'm talking about other infractions too - improper use of the carpool lane, missing rearview mirror, obstructed view, cracked or missing left or right side mirror, cracked (as in, not just chipped) windshields, cracked or nonfunctioning headlights, turn lights, or brake lights, and my personal favorite...people who don't signal when turning or drift lanes without signaling first. People who drive too slow at the front of traffic, or "looky-loos" at the site of an accident - ticket them. The idea is to get people to drive the correct way. I know police can't be everywhere, but too many times I see someone just drifting lanes - usually a soccer mom on the phone with her BFF - right next to or in front of a cop and the cop does nothing about it. If you figure $300-$400 per infraction, you can really rack up a bunch of cash from these people and encourage them to learn to drive properly.

Drivers License Renewal: Implement a required behind-the-wheel driving test before renewing licenses. If they fail and the license is still valid, invalidate it and fine them $200. They can retest, but they get the same fine every time they fail until they get it right. If they fail three times they're required to go through the written test and the behind the wheel.

Illegal Immigrants: Implement a "fast track" method of allowing for legal residency. If they pay a $300 fee, a conditional residency is issued. If they can prove they've been working, contributing members of society, a permanent one can then be issued. As part of the residency, they are required to submit to and pass a comprehension verbal examination where they must be able to express themselves in clear English, and accept phrases in English without repeating. Also, if an illegal is caught driving - and we assume they have no driver's license - double the penalty, I think it's $400 now.

DUI/DWI: If someone's been hit with this before, revoke their license and require that they submit to AA or something else. They must have a doctor or other authorized party certify that they're clean before getting the license back, and pay a $500 reissuance fee. The license would be probational: 3 years with no infractions results in a full, clear license being issued at no cost.

If just 1% of the drivers I quoted got a ticket in a given month, That's 30,000 drivers @ $400 each = $12 million. And that's just 30,000 drivers. Now imagine if it were 300,000 drivers, which is not unreasonable considering how many cities California has, and you've already taken a HUGE chunk out of the budget in raw profit from people who don't abide by the law. Imagine the number of drivers hit with multiple infractions. Say you had 100,000 drivers who had three infractions on one stop.

Hands Free = $400
Traffic Efficiency = $400
Illegal Immigrant Driving = $800

For 100,000 people = $160,000,000. That's a LOT of money, and that number of people is extremely small and likely would end up much higher.

Now, you might say that any potential financial benefits would be offset by the number of police officers they'd have to hire, and that's partly true, but the fact is California is grossly overpopulated. Even if they only hired 10,000 officers per million residents, they'd still end up making a lot of profit, in exchange for cleaning up the city at least partly.

Anyway, I'm done ranting. Yell about my Draconian/commie measures all you want.
Quick reply to this message

Unread 02-28-2009, 02:53 PM

685 posts, read 835,777 times
Not bad. In fact, sensible. That's why it won't take hold.

MY solution, in addition to yours, would be to divide California into two separate states. NorCal and SoCal. On its own, CA is too big and too diverse to govern. On the federal level, I find it ridiculous that both Rhode Island and California have the same exact representation in the US Senate. California needs more, not less, representation in the Senate.

Unread 02-28-2009, 03:02 PM

30 posts, read 116,226 times
And you could legalize cannabis, and start taxing it. The government would make a lot of money from that.

Unread 02-28-2009, 03:30 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,854,363 times
There's too much common sense in your proposal for the California state legislature to handle.

Unread 02-28-2009, 06:11 PM

7,721 posts, read 8,832,177 times
While you are at it, double the HOV lane violation from a minimum of $381 and enforce it, especially in rush hour.

Unread 02-28-2009, 06:18 PM

11,730 posts, read 21,793,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNooYawk View Post
Not bad. In fact, sensible. That's why it won't take hold.

MY solution, in addition to yours, would be to divide California into two separate states. NorCal and SoCal. On its own, CA is too big and too diverse to govern. On the federal level, I find it ridiculous that both Rhode Island and California have the same exact representation in the US Senate. California needs more, not less, representation in the Senate.
Somebody doesn't understand the Constitution. Ever hear of the House of Representatives?

Unread 02-28-2009, 06:47 PM

2,987 posts, read 4,337,167 times
CA needs to stop its useless spending on ridiculous projects and services.

Unread 02-28-2009, 06:51 PM

1,078 posts, read 2,325,321 times
Restore spending to the way it was 4 years ago, double the car tax and stop giving social services to illegal immigrants and the budget would have a surplus. It doesn't get simpler than that.

Unread 02-28-2009, 07:17 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,502,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
I
I think California has over 7 million citizens. I know my number might be off and that's fine. Let's say for the sake of argument that's the number though, I'm not feeling like getting the exact number.
OMG! That's not your sincere estimate of the state population is it? You're short by 30 million people! And that's critical to understanding what's causing the budget crisis. It's an overpopulation crisis. 37 million people and projected to hit 50 million by 2020. The sheer tonnage of human flesh in the Golden State is breaking the budget.

Unread 02-28-2009, 08:02 PM

6,471 posts, read 12,493,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
DUI/DWI: If someone's been hit with this before, revoke their license and require that they submit to AA or something else. They must have a doctor or other authorized party certify that they're clean before getting the license back, and pay a $500 reissuance fee. The license would be probational: 3 years with no infractions results in a full, clear license being issued at no cost.
CA already has a seven year probation, I understand it was going to raise to ten years soon.
Alcohol Anonymous will not work with the state as they do state "Anonymous".
The state uses other alcohol classes the cost the driver way more.
A first offense will cost about $10,000
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California