Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 03:28 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,121,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
We like our pizza the way it is, and that includes toppings and bread you might find appalling. If you want NY pizza, stay in NY.
I don't know that "we" like our pizza the way it is, and I'm certainly willing to accept that maybe New York pizza might be better.

However... WTF difference does it make if New York pizza is better? We are here and New York is there, and the last thing I want to hear is some New York jerk bragging that New York has better pizza. This accomplishes absolutely nothing beyond me wishing that whoever said it was sitting in New York enjoying his New York pizza instead of whining in California and annoying me.

New Yorkers, if you want to do something about the "atrocious" state of California pizza, open a pizzeria and put your money where your mouth is. If you're right Californians will flock to your pizzeria and you will become rich.

Until then we don't want to hear about how great your pizza is. That's useless information unless you're in New York.

Old 03-06-2009, 03:47 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,942,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I don't know that "we" like our pizza the way it is
My "we" declarations never include you, Greg. You're special.

Old 03-06-2009, 07:37 PM

Aw FY Jack. I love you!

I was speaking metaphorically, using the metaphoric "we."

But really Jack, do you feel CA pizza is defective? Do you aspire to NY pizza?

I haven't ever had NY pizza. Maybe it is better. But I don't need no damned New Yorkers to tell me that my "Cali" pizza is inferior.

Old 03-06-2009, 07:51 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,942,396 times
I, as usual, was using the royal we, seeing as how I'm so royal and stuff.

I do not think the pizza around So Cal is defective, as long as one knows where to go and what places to avoid. I've had NY pizza (Totonnos's, DiFara) and while excellent, I wouldn't wax nostalgic over it or soil my undies thinking about it. But, I didn't grow up there. I've had bad NYC pizza experiences (such as pizza from the many places that incorporate the name "Ray's" in their name) to go along with the good ones.

Just as being a NY product doesn't equal good pizza, being a California product doesn't equal bad pizza. Just try telling that to a New Yorker though. Your head will explode.

Old 03-06-2009, 07:59 PM

301 posts, read 1,511,100 times
I've only know 3 New Yorkers, and all of them reminded me of the kid in our dorm during freshman year of college, who wore his high school letterman's jacket around everywhere and always wanted to talk about how great it was back in high school.

Old 03-07-2009, 06:26 AM

28 posts, read 130,893 times
Oh, yet another thread that's turned into the state of California vs. the city of New York. How refreshing.

Old 03-07-2009, 11:56 AM

1,310 posts, read 4,138,655 times
NY'ers are cool and NYC is awesome. I think NY'ers have the same feeling about California folks.

Old 03-07-2009, 11:58 AM

2,964 posts, read 3,530,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronx_kidd View Post
I'm curious...

I have daydreams of moving to Cali sometimes ...this cold is killing me!!

how are ny'ers percieved ?
My understanding is that most born and bred Californians don't really like the term Cali used for their state. I think they prefer California.

Old 03-07-2009, 08:31 PM

45 posts, read 126,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Towner View Post
My understanding is that most born and bred Californians don't really like the term Cali used for their state. I think they prefer California.
What about referring to California as CA then? would that be acceptable or just not a good idea? I just moved here a couple months back from Pennsylvania, and a lot of people refer to our state as PA...

Old 03-07-2009, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Towner View Post
Evidently calling my native state the same name as a foreign capital city in Colombia the cocaine capital of South America annoys only some of us. I don't claim to have statistics about whether that's "few of us," "some of us," "most of us," or whatever. Nor do I have the right to speak for all native Californians.

However I think it's pretty likely that most natives don't use that term, and most people who use that term are either transplants or don't live in CA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevil View Post
What about referring to California as CA then? would that be acceptable or just not a good idea? I just moved here a couple months back from Pennsylvania, and a lot of people refer to our state as PA...
I don't have any problem with postal abbreviations. They are neutral.

The cocaine capital of South America is NOT neutral.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California