Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2007, 03:00 AM

24,508 posts, read 33,300,433 times

Advertisements

Here are some record highs for those cities:

Eureka......................... 87 degrees
Bakersfield.................... 115
Sacramento.................. 115
Redding........................ 118

Red Bluff is even hotter with a record high of 121 set back in 1981.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2007, 11:43 PM

1 posts, read 6,625 times
Default My two cents...

There have been a lot of posts dissing the weather in Redding, but I live here and actually like it. I lived in Arcata from 1987 to 1994--and I don't know if it was my anemia or the cold, foggy weather or both, but I was severely depressed, almost suicidal...I could never get warm and I fantasized (literally) about warm sunny weather. Granted, the weather over there seems to have improved some--but it's still pretty cold and foggy all year round. I just prefer sunshine and hot weather--which means Redding has about 6-7 months of perfect weather for me, and a few months that are too cold and too hot.

So...in a nutshell, my advice is to consider what your personal preference is for weather and decide that way. Good luck.

Old 08-16-2007, 01:59 PM

114 posts, read 572,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
Well, I'll speak up for Redding, to a degree.

Given that Eureka is on the coast it doesn't seem logical that rents are lower in Eureka than Redding.

As for the hot summers, Redding probably isn't much different than Sacramento. The above 110 degree temps only last a week or so. Then it's back to the low 100s, and 90s. The humidity might even be lower than in Sacto given that Sacto sometimes receives air off of the delta. Redding is hotter in the summer, and colder in the winter, but Eureka will be substantially mistier, foggier, and wetter.

If you live within the city of Redding you'll get electric power from the city which is substantially cheaper than PG&E.

As for racial tolerance, Redding isn't Bakersfield. You'll be fine, though you might have to date outside your race because of the general homogeneity of the place (85% white).

I don't know if these facts are enough to effect your decision, but at least you have them.

If you move to Eureka, don't live to far from the school. Gas prices on the North Coast are just awful.
Even from here in Missouri - I watch Reddings temps and it came as a surprise to some people in Medford - that Reding on had 81 degrees.

Right now - according to my website Page Title - it's just 72 and feels like 76.

It's been over 100 here in Missouri and it's humid.

We are carefully considering all the good information we are getting though and can understand why people in other (formerly beautiful) areas of CA - are and have been moving to redding. What kind of housing is available in Igo and Ono?

Medford can get really hot too and Bend is growing so fast the residents are finding their taxes going up so much they are looking too.

We have the tornado threat and it's a big and even happens in December. We had such a violent storm in early may that the foundation washed out on our home.

Thanks
MajorHart

Old 08-16-2007, 06:15 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,159,764 times
The weather has already been covered, but I'll add that Redding is 100f or higher for about a third of the year. It also has considerably more sunlight, a factor if you tend to be depressed.

Redding is a MUCH cheaper place to live, with Walmart and Winco for groceries. Winco is about the cheapest grocer in the country, but has decent quality. Rents are considerably lower and require less of a security deposit than Eureka.

The nightlife tends to be more interesting and the conversations more educated in Eureka/Arcata.

Old 09-04-2007, 02:05 PM

1 posts, read 6,534 times
I'm new to this website and I'm so glad I found it. I have got a lot of good information from this website. I am planning a trip to Eureka in November, I'm from southern California and I'm looking to move up north.
Can anyone suggest any other cities in the Eureka area I should visit?

Old 09-18-2007, 10:25 AM

4 posts, read 34,165 times
Default Wher To Move!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by californian1979 View Post
I've been accepted at two nursing schools, Shasta College in Redding and College of the Redwoods in Eureka.

I'm from Sacramento, single with no children and would like to know which city would be right for me.

What I'm looking for is good weather, from what I've been reading on this board, Redding seems to be a hot place.
How much hotter is Redding compared to Sacramento?

Another issue that is important to me is housing.
I've looked for apartments in both Redding and Humboldt county and judging from craigslist ads, there seem to be more rentals available in Redding.

How are each city in terms of tolerance?
I'm a non-white. I don’t think this will be an issue in Eureka as this place seems pretty liberal..then again I could be wrong.

I’m a lousy cook and eat out a bit. How does each city compare in shopping and restaurants?

Decideing which city to live for the next two years is a pretty big decision.
Any information would be helpful.

Thanks in advance!
Try Crescent City, Ca. its 1 1/2 hour from Eureka, We have the cleanest air, were off the ocean, and we have mountains and redwood forests and rivers, and lots of hiking and we need nurses and medford, oregon is 2 hours away for great shopping, and crescent city is not over populated like eureka, i grew up in eureka, it has become like a little sanfrancisco, over populated, hard to get to work, has become kind of a dirty little town, redding is extremely hot in the summer, lots of snow in the winter, will be trecherous to get around and in and out of in the winter, one way out is extremely winding and theres wrecks there alot, there suppose to straighten it out, but when dont know!! Try looking at Del Norte County, even temps all winter, warm in the summer, have great rivers and beauty all around, redwood forests with beautiful flowers growning wild, and you can get in and out to anywhere in the winter, now snow in the little town, but 10 minutes out in the mountains is ots of snow, do you like wild life, we have it to. We have great restaurants, the Grotto, Ship Ashore, and more!!! And taxes are cheaper here and so is electricity, as we have PPL not PG&E!! W e have the cleanest air around, and Crescent City is a Secret, people who are tired of high cost living, and stinky cities, and want clean air, and beauty all around, and safe to walk around at night, freedom from thugs, no gangs, sweet loving people, people are happy here and holesome, i wonder why!! Lots of places to work, we have Pelican Bay State Prison outside of town, you can work there doing lots of things, or are hospital, lots of other places to, home depot, the county, the city, the post office, the list goes on and on!!! Also, if a bomb ever hit the big citties, youd be safe here! Thats a Fact!! Youd still be alive while others are dying!! Look it up on the internet, safest places to live under terrorist attack!!!! We live the way we want here, its a nice place and people here help one another, and the terrorists would be in great trouble if they came here as we have mountains to hide in and forests to hide in, and caves to hide in, and alot of guns to protect us!! and this town stands together!!

Old 10-09-2007, 11:34 AM

2 posts, read 10,636 times
Question Plenty of coffee

[quote=whiteowl;1024743] There are no coffee houses, [quote]

With the three Starbucks opening in the last three months I think you will find that Redding has the most Starbucks coffee houses per capita then any other city in the US. Or darn near close.

Old 03-14-2008, 03:32 AM

24 posts, read 130,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
You will find bigots everywhere. Even Berkeley has Nazis. Everyone is a little bit of a racist deep down inside. That's just life. Some people tend to confuse tolerance with welcoming. They are different. Northern Californians are very tolerant of just about anyone. Don't assume that tolerance equals being welcomed into a community like a prodigal (sp?) son. All small towns tend to be cliquish and won't accept you right away. That's not going to have as much to do with the color of your skin as the fact that you're simply new. Tolerance means they will not be beating you up or vandalizing your property, it doesn't mean they will be inviting you over for dinner on your first night in town. No, the people will not form a mob and burn you out. It's not Mississippi in 1920 after all. If you understand the definition of tolerance, you'll find that the whole western US is quite tolerant. Even bigots are tolerated. It's not as easy to be accepted in small towns so you have to go a little out of your way to fit in if that's your wish.

Since you are in school. I will guess you are young. Don't jump the gun and assume that because someone isn't automatically nice to you, it's because of your race. Many young people tend to erroneously make that assumption. The person you are dealing with may simply be an unpleasant person or they may dislike you for any of hundreds of possible reasons. Tolerance doesn't mean that people have to like you or agree with you either.
Nicely put. I've recently moved to a small town and have found that like almost everywhere, you've got to make a bit of an effort. Small town folks can be quite friendly, but sometimes they're a bit shy and slightly reticent towards making the first move to say hello. Sometimes, the outsider has to make the first gesture, ask the first question...

As to the racial issue: I'm white, so haven't really had to deal with folks treating me rudely due to the color of my skin. I've just had occasions where I've had folks treat me rudely because they're jerks, or because they're having a bad day, or because I remind them of someone they dislike, or maybe even because I'm being a jerk. And that's when both myself and the people I'm dealing with are the same color. Makes me wonder about when there's dealings between mixed races - someone could easily guess that the other person is racist. Maybe the other person is just a jerk!

Old 03-16-2008, 10:40 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,739,463 times
I'm surprised no one has mentioned that College of the Redwoods is on academic probation and is struggling to hold on to its accreditation. You should check with the State licensing agency to find out if you will be affected if they lose it. The Humboldt Times-Standard is online daily and full of local information. Good luck! We need nurses!

Old 06-04-2008, 04:15 PM

2 posts, read 9,063 times
Default Eeewreeeka

Congrats on the nursing school! Whatever you do, please make sure you spend some quality time in Eureka before moving there. The ethnicity won't be a problem, but the DRAMA, the wannabe gang bangers that drift up there from wherever, and the cold, foggy, often times muggy climate were enough for us to pack our bags and leave after 14 years.

The gas prices right now in Eureka are $4.59 per gallon. It was $4.49 two days ago. They blame the higher prices on the trucks that they have to bring in from around the state, or whatever.

Eureka's rent prices are the most reasonable of the areas. Arcata has a little higher rent, but definitely the college town. HSU has a great nursing program also, you should check it out. Arcata is kinda far to drive to CR, (about 35 minutes if you give yourself time to drive through Eureka). I would probably suggest the outer rims like Myrtle Town or Cutten for the sunnier, nicer neighborhoods in Eureka. There is a shortcut you can take through the golf course to get you on the freeway to CR. Usually took me 15 to 20 minutes to get there from Myrtle Avenue.

I guess it would be this way in any town, but you really need to be careful about who you let in up there. There are some really Shiesty people there and drugs everywhere. Not to be totally skitzo here, but they seem to know who will be the most vulnerable. A lot of the "Gangsters" and drug dealers come straight out of Richmond and Oakland and they don't mess around.

Oh yes, and then there is the smell.... it's not as bad as it use to be, but on some days, there is this horrible stench that fills up the air. It used to be said it was the pulp mill across the bay, but it still stinks, and I believe it has been closed for some time now. There is also the sewage plant at the south end of town that mixes with the low-tide seaweed smell.

Eureka has been affectionately known as Eeewreeeka for some time now.

Good luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California