Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2009, 08:10 PM

7,372 posts, read 15,976,804 times

Advertisements

The topic is there for your debate...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2009, 08:30 PM

81 posts, read 292,423 times
Well, in the interest of not being flamed like another user, instead of copying my post over and over, I'll just link to it here:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/7691070-post90.html

I think in general, a lot of people have a high opinion of it because of it's idyllic location set in a naturally beautiful area. But beneath the way that the city dresses itself up for tourism, there a lot of issues as I mentioned in my post above. It's also a terrible city to live in if you are poor and/or rely on public transportation, and I gave a number of examples in my post above.

Old 03-07-2009, 11:44 AM

36,644 posts, read 67,325,378 times
Controversial in what way?

Old 03-07-2009, 11:57 AM

1,310 posts, read 4,127,728 times
WTF? No it isn't.

Old 03-07-2009, 09:50 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,537,343 times
The reason why there's so much talk about SB on the CA forum is because SB doesn't have its own forum.

Old 03-08-2009, 12:00 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,270,302 times
Maybe their is a love hate relationship going on. I for one love Santa Barbara although I am only a visitor into the community and do not live there. I do have friends that do live in Santa Barbara and the surrounding communities. We visit the zoo every couple of months and my wife and I love to drive up and walk around the beach area. For us State Street is also fun to hang out at. For me their has always been an alure to the area that has kept me visiting. From our home in Oxnard we have two amazing destinations that we can drive to in less than an hour from our home. To the north is Santa Barbara and to the south is Malibu. I love making either drive.

Old 03-08-2009, 10:26 PM

Soon,
I was just in Carpinteria this morning. I love that town more with each visit. Quintessential CA beach town with a laid-back vibe.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:04 AM

1 posts, read 1,169 times
I hate Carpinteria.
It's great to visit and awful to live here.
They play nice for the tourists, but,in my opinion, it is a backwards, racist, gossipy place run by a few families who load the school board and town council with their relatives generation after generation to keep the town the way their wealthy families like it....to heck with anyone else's!
The police harass your kids for no reason (literally, no reason--just for walking to the beach and back). come to think of it, now they are starting to harass tourists, too. A visiting friend of mine was pulled over every time he left his hotel last year. They have often have little to do ( a plus, I guess, although we do have a wannabe gang that occasionally causes trouble and an acquaintance was still murdered here )and and want to look busy, so they harass and scare people.
You pay your property taxes and still the schools suck. My daughter graduated from the elementary school unable to do any math at all. A lot of people feel compelled to put their kids in private school--and I mean even folks who are recent immigrants--because they feel the schools are worse than those in Mexico. The high school , in a city with not too much crime and where folks pay a three-quarters of a million plus for housing , is the lowest in the county for kids finishing college prep courses--often tying with Lompoc, a bigger city which has many more issues, for the bottom slot.
Plus, there are few jobs--or few good ones.
Even the kids usually have to commute to SB to work on the jammed freeway--when they can find work.
Things are closing down and there are empty storefronts now.
It's a dying place and families are leaving.
If you think Santa Barbara is overrated, Carpinteria is worse.
The only thing good about it is the beach and scenery is nice and it is a little less crowded than SB, but
I'd trade in Carpinteria for Santa Barbara any day.
This is just a redneck town posing as a surf town for the tourists.
Plus, although the "more enlightened people"--(yes there are some!) of the town defeated the installation of an on-land oil derrick this year, a lot of the "old families" and "carpinterians of the year" types want it and you can bet some day they will fix it so you will have a dangerous clanking oil derrick next to the beach. If it wasn't so sad to watch the oligarchy families try to bully the other people,("We're the old families and so you should all think like us!") it would be funny. It reminds me of the Deep South and I think they are just as jock-backwards in their thinking.
Actually, I'd love to leave SoCal entirely.
It sucks.
NorCal has problems and drugs, but you can have interesting conversations--but here you have drugs, too, and none of the intellectual activity.
I'm so homesick and disappointed--wish I'd never moved here.
I have to stay for job reasons (I do the awful commute)for a few more years, then I will leave and never look back.

Last edited by Wanna go back to redwoods; 08-04-2010 at 08:56 AM..

Old 08-04-2010, 09:30 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,078,944 times
^^^tell us how you really feel

I dont get the thread. SB is what it is, its a wealthy tourist town, now everyone can afford to live in.

Old 08-04-2010, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
^^^tell us how you really feel

I dont get the thread. SB is what it is, its a wealthy tourist town, now everyone can afford to live in.
I wrote this during a time when there were a few anti-SB threads; most notably the one started by RachelinLA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California