U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 08:50 AM

6,797 posts, read 6,315,512 times

Advertisements

Recent articles have stated that CALPERS has losses in the neighborhood of 80 billion dollars, and that the tax payers are on the hook for the losses. City, County, and State workers and their collective Unions have been making themselves millionaires at the expense of the rest of us.
I keep reading about these comments from public employees blowing their own horn about how qualified they are, what a great job they do, and how they deserve these obscene benefits. Personally I do not see it. I can honestly say I have never been impressed by the job performance of any public employee I have worked with. The State is bankrupt, the infrastructure is badly decayed, the water system is inadequate, the school system measured by test scores world wide is a failure, fires burn out of control because bureaucrats argue about jurisdiction and refuse help from other sources. The only thing I see them doing is wasting massive quantities of tax dollars and fiddling while Rome burns. It is time for change, in my opinion it is time to clean house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 09:59 AM

7,475 posts, read 20,194,951 times
Sounds like you are a good canidate for relocation. If you don't like anything about the state, there are 49 more to chose from.
Being a retired city worker, I love California....
Much of what you say isn't true, but if you feel that way, time to go...

Old 03-13-2009, 10:02 AM

55,634 posts, read 74,577,828 times
one way of feeling better is to bring down everybody around you.
tell me if we pay cops social workers and teachers min wage, what do you think you will get?
so these people put up with our stuff the garbage that we dont wana deal with for 30 years and then you dont wana pay them the pension you promised, is that it?
americans love to spend but hate to pay.

Old 03-13-2009, 10:22 AM

23,605 posts, read 31,463,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
The only thing I see them doing is wasting massive quantities of tax dollars and fiddling while Rome burns. It is time for change, in my opinion it is time to clean house.
Perhaps now is the time for you to vote with your feet. I know I'm going to but it has more to do with cultural shifts, too many laws, too many regulations, too many people, too much crime and too high taxes than anything else.

Oh, by the way I'm one of those retired state workers you disdain, as is my wife, and I want to thank you for our modest retirements, far from millions, and excellent benefits. I won't say anything about how we earned them as your mind's already made up.

G'day!

Old 03-13-2009, 10:25 AM

6,797 posts, read 6,315,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
Sounds like you are a good canidate for relocation. If you don't like anything about the state, there are 49 more to chose from.
Being a retired city worker, I love California....
Much of what you say isn't true, but if you feel that way, time to go...
Thank you for making my point. Here is a city worker who confuses public workers with the State. Public workers are not the State. The Citizens and tax payers are the state. They feel as if this is some type of an entitlement program and they deserve to exploit the taxpayers and the system. Well now the bill is coming due for several decades of corruption.
Public employees are now paid 2X to 3X what private sector worker make for similar jobs. This article explains it.
http://ecoworld.com/blog/2009/02/08/...-compensation/

Last edited by jimhcom; 03-13-2009 at 10:40 AM..

Old 03-13-2009, 12:25 PM

6,958 posts, read 19,165,100 times
Actually most public employees participate in CALPers, including city, county, local fire and water districts too!

I've attached a chart from this article. Calpers Looks to Shore Up Assets - WSJ.com
Attached Thumbnails
Public employees are breaking Californias back-na-at392_calper_ns_20081022232603.gif  

Old 03-13-2009, 12:38 PM

1,554 posts, read 4,826,790 times
This is going on in at least half of the other states right now. What can you do?

Old 03-13-2009, 01:45 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,463,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
Thank you for making my point. Here is a city worker who confuses public workers with the State. Public workers are not the State. The Citizens and tax payers are the state.
I hate to also point this out to you but most "public" workers in the state, county and municipal, are most assuredly covered under CalPERS for retirement so their pensions and benefits are also affected.

Here's another truth that may have passed you by. "Public" workers are both citizens of the state and tax payers.

The good news for you is that while stupid may be forever, ignorance can be fixed!

Old 03-13-2009, 02:09 PM

15,452 posts, read 25,397,220 times
I agree that public employee pensions are killing the state and local govt's. San Diego's public pension fraud is killing this city. I don't get why public employees think they deserve better benefits than the private sector. Unions when they get too big and powerful get too selfish and greedy, just look at how the UAW has pretty much help lead to the Big 3's financial troubles with their overly generous benefits.

Old 03-13-2009, 02:27 PM

11,715 posts, read 35,944,799 times
There's two big problems:

1) They can retire at age 55 and make something like 70% of their highest earned salary for life + COLA + benefits and live another 30 years

2) Defined benefit pension plan: Pension is set in stone and its up to the employer (that's us) to fund it no matter how poorly the investments perform.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or