Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 02:45 PM

2 posts, read 23,269 times

Advertisements

Hi!

We plan on moving to Northern California this summer. We are a married couple (mid 20's) with a 6 yr old and a 2 yr old. We currently live just outside of Seattle, WA. We are a liberal family, outdoorsy, anti-big cities, artsy, small town loving, we don't party, vegetarian, and laid back. We want to find the best place for us. We are seeking a place with good schools, within commuting distance to jobs, fairly affordable (under $1000/month for 2 bedroom), small town, liberal, and plenty to do outside. We have been looking into Humboldt county and we love it. We also really like Mendocino County. I haven't looked at all the counties though. I am open to anywhere in Northern CA that has what we are looking for. Any ideas? Where would you reccommend? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2007, 02:57 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,470,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving2norcal View Post
Hi!

We plan on moving to Northern California this summer. We are a married couple (mid 20's) with a 6 yr old and a 2 yr old. We currently live just outside of Seattle, WA. We are a liberal family, outdoorsy, anti-big cities, artsy, small town loving, we don't party, vegetarian, and laid back. We want to find the best place for us. We are seeking a place with good schools, within commuting distance to jobs, fairly affordable (under $1000/month for 2 bedroom), small town, liberal, and plenty to do outside. We have been looking into Humboldt county and we love it. We also really like Mendocino County. I haven't looked at all the counties though. I am open to anywhere in Northern CA that has what we are looking for. Any ideas? Where would you reccommend? Thanks in advance!
Arcata, Eureka are probably up your alley, but I would also check out Eugene, and Portland too.

Old 01-18-2007, 07:22 AM

41 posts, read 169,535 times
Have you thought about Chico?

Old 01-18-2007, 07:41 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,921,120 times
I second the above suggestions... in California, Arcata/Eureka, Chico or maybe Lake Tahoe; in Oregon, definitely Eugene or Ashland. I've lived in two of these places (Eugene & Tahoe), and they're right up your alley! My best friend lived in Arcata for 5 years while attending HSU, and she really liked it up there... I visited a few times, and also thought it was a great place. It was too small for her needs, so she moved back to the Bay Area, but it sounds like you'd love the small-town atmosphere. Anyway, that would be my first pick for you, based on what I get from your post. Only problem is the job market, which I don't think is too great - but it depends on your field/experience, I guess.

Old 01-18-2007, 08:21 AM

38 posts, read 383,122 times
There is always Sebastapol in Sonoma County. Once a mostly agricultural town as with most of the county; Sebastapol has become the liberal heart of Sonoma County, which is also very liberal.
Sebastapol is still a small town with great schools, friendly people, lots of veggie places to eat, farmers markets, country atmosphere and easy access to beaches, etc.

Old 01-19-2007, 01:31 PM

2 posts, read 23,269 times
Thanks for all the suggestions! I have been looking around and I think we have really narrowed it down. I love Humboldt, but I worry about the job aspect and the rentals are a little more there. We don't have a job field (we have done so much) but I need to have enough jobs within 30 min commute or so. So, I looked and I discovered the Chico area. How beautiful! I love chico and all the surrounding cities. The rent prices are good, more jobs, pretty location, and near my favorite animal rights group (FARM sanctuary). After lots of talking and research, I think that is the best place for us. It isn't a liberal as Eureka/Arcata, but good enough for me. Plus it seems to be horse friendly, which is great since I hope to get a horse one day.

We plan to move to the Chico area by August, maybe June or July. I am concerned about the temperature shock, how hot is it during the summer? I used to live in Spokane WA and it hit over 100 there plenty of times, is it the same? Any suggestions of areas to look at moving too or places to avoid? How is the crime out there? Anyone know anything about the schools? I have researched online and it explains a lot of it, but I prefer real people's experiences over typical statistics.

Thanks!
Amber

Old 01-19-2007, 02:05 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,743,008 times
We moved from Chico/ Paradise area two years ago to Arizona. The summers in chico can be very hot and humid when the rice farmers are flooding the fields. It usually does not last long, not like AZ. Can get up over 100. The town of Paradise is up the Butte/ Ridge, in the pines above Chico and is much cooler (by 15 degrees) in the summer. It will get light snow. The rentals there might be a little better and you are only 20 min from downtown Chico. There is a wonderful little art center there that we belonged to. In Chico you will have to deal with the student housing issues, huge parties, etc. Parking can be a problem. Halloween used to be a big problem, but I think they have closed the town during the holiday. It is still a wonderful little town even in spite of the issues. Big on art! Crime there is a bit higher than Paradise, lots of car burgleries, petty theft, some seasonal stabbings in front of bars, usually students. Avoid the bars at night. Drugs, yes, it is a college town.The downtown area is wonderful when the students leave for the summer. You can actually find a place to park and eat at the awesome restaurants. If you choose Chico, I might recommend the Montisori school there for your children, it is wonderful and my daughter taught there for a few years before moving here with us. I am getting homesick. Good luck to you.

Old 01-30-2007, 03:03 PM

44 posts, read 329,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Arcata, Eureka are probably up your alley, but I would also check out Eugene, and Portland too.
Can anyone expand more on Eureka area? Lifestyle,economy etc. I have been told it is a depressed community???? and cold and grey all the time.????Looking to open a retail business. Home prices seem to be fair...240K and up. Thanks.

Old 02-13-2007, 06:26 PM

1 posts, read 11,595 times
Default California Expat

4 years ago, we bailed from So Cal to the Seattle area, although it is absolutely beautiful here, we find ourselves getting homesick; but not for southern Cal ! mentally I have drawn a DMZ line through the Central coast beyond wich I will not consider. Lately we have been thinking seriously about the counties north of the bay area but not Eureka/Arcata because the area is economically depressed (I am an Architect). We are very familiar with Humboldt because our daughter graduated HSU and is living in Eureka now. Chico is much too hot and Paradise is overrun with geriatric drivers (cyclists beware). It is a hard choice.

Old 02-14-2007, 08:08 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,943,013 times
chico comes to my mind when i read your post, but also maybe angles camp?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California